1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hip Drop Tackle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 20, 2024.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

Common Jeh take a hit...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I have no idea how you can tackle the runners now. Definitely making this an offensive game, i really like how defense impact games, but them days are done

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    The hip drop tackle has become more prevalent over the last 5-6 years because all defenses switched to the seahawk tackle which says to put helmet on the backside of runner and hit the hip and roll the running back over because it leads to fewer concussions and less chance of a helmet to helmet tackle. The hip drop happens when rb is ahead of runner and you try same type of tackle. Now they are making it impossible to tackle a rb who has a yard or two on defender because you cant horse collar them either. The NFL always overreacts to a few injuries. They are always looking to help add more points and let league look like BIG 12 football with 80 points a game .

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I feel this post got a bit overlooked.

I agree. People are confusing 'taking the aggro out of old-style football rah the 70s real men' etc with players adapting to recent rule changes and doing so badly.

That said, I do agree that officiating this will be a PITA and put more of the game in the hands of the refs than needs to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    This is going to be a nightmare to enforce! WAY too subjective! The other problem is that Youth Coaches have been coaching a similar technique for tackling over the past 15 years or so because they had to be trained in this technique in order to coach tackling and be a coach, period! So it is also so ingrained in these athletes to this point, that the neural memory will be nearly impossible to try and replace! Especially when you're moving full speed!! NFL is asking for some serious controversy here, IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I never even heard of the term "hip drop" tackle until this year. So you can wrap a guy up, but can't use your body weight to bring him down? Basically, they're making a normal tackle against the rules! RIP NFL :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Drink Poster of The Year winner

8. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    This is a byproduct of the greed of the NFL. They are bent on ruining the game. You can not legislate or officiate injuries out of the game. It has become too much about protecting their assets (star players) for the sake of marketing not because they actually care about the players. The sad thing is the quality of the game is going to suffer. The real culprit for alot of the injuries is the season is too long and they watered down the practices so the guys are ill prepared for contact now. The level of tackling has already been greatly hampered across the league this is just going to further ruin it. The level in which games are officiated now is at a point games are almost becoming unwatchable.

I have been saying this for years why even bother investing in a defense? The defense has been stripped of pretty much all ability to make splash plays. You might as well put ALL of your money into the QB and the WR’s. If they keep going down this rabbit hole the game is going to be unrecognizable and eventually an alternate league that is more like the original NFL will form and it will start to take away from the NFL today. Kind of like what the UFC has done to Boxing. People are always going to want to see competitive violence. I get protecting players brains and against long term life altering injury but its now getting out of hand.