1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is the....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Woodson two-six, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    trenches help that the Steelers need? Any quality OL and DL? Loading up on skill guys is not going to help this team win more games. The learning curve is going to be there, which starts you out at a disadvantage already. Look at the facts;

*New offense/New OC
    *All new QBs
    *Mostly overhauled receiving corps (a few new receivers)
    *A new LB and a DB or two?
    *New Punter

All window dressing! Perfect for today's society, all looks and no substance!

If you look at the top 5 teams in the league, they all have something in common (not looking this up).... their trench players on both side are very good and probably most of the team's investment in salary (there are exceptions here with skill guys who have long contracts) but the point is, they built their teams the right way (inside-out). It's like with working out! You work, core-out (start with strengthening your core-abs/obliques/lower back), then strengthen everything else (legs, chest, arms, etc).

Have at it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Last year our two of our top three picks were O-line/D-line. Then we went TE who is basically a third tackle and Edge. Our top FA pick up was a guard. This year we will likely make 2 O-line picks and 1 D-line pick. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dean lowry DL

got rid of a bad center.

got rid of a bad OT.

re-signed cook at OT.

re-signed adams to the DL.

re-signed fahoko to the DL.

draft in a few weeks. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Woodson two-six

Nov 3, 2019
    I love Isaac, him being a former Beaver, but he underperformed last season. Part of that was due to inexperience and lack of talent around him but that group was awful against decent to good teams!

You say Rome wasn't built in a day, yet we live in an age of Free Agency and the draft is dissected and able to be processed from every angle (IQ tests, physical tests and even character). There is no excuse for not being able to invest in some quality O Lineman. The rookie Tackle could make it eventually but he got worked against quality opponents quite often. This is also a scouting issue. Player personnel has been a problem for this team the last 6-7 years especially. Namely in the most important spots (OL, DL, QB).

Just as they basically rebuilt the entire room of "backs" (a Back is anyone on O or D besides the Lineman), in the last month or two. WR was not a position they needed to fire sale IMO. But, here we are!

5. Woodson two-six

Nov 3, 2019
    You also can't rely on draft picks (only) to compete this season, with the upper class of the NFL. With the moves they are making in free agency right now, they could have redirected some of that cheddar to bring in a couple very good vets along the O Line (at least).

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are correct....Rome wasn't built in a day, but it wasn't torn down in a year either....like can happen in the NFL

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The cheddar you speak of really has not been that much in reality, nor did they have a huge amount to spend. They met with Morse, who signed with the Jags. His contract was not outrageous, but FA foes both ways. We have no idea what or if they offered, he chose the Jags. Some other OL got some hefty deals. maybe they did not want to go that direction, a couple of OT still available, but aging, so perhaps a one/two year deal will be made, maybe wait until after the draft. Bottom line, you can spend a huge amount on a FA and in a lot of cases it misses as much as the draft. Would I have liked to see more, yes, but the signings so far have filled and brought some experienced depth, so let Omar play his way and eat your own cheddar, lol.

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

PLENTY of work to do still in FA and the draft. and we still have cap $$$.

Have not spent tons of it, in FA.

I am guessing FINALLY they will get a BLUE CHIP C early in this years draft - and yes, they need a RT (move Jones to LT where he belongs).

DL needs one more solid player - the rest is there (for 2024 - like it or not)

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Where is the help for the trenches?!

April 25th through April 27th.

As it stands currently, there is no FA options available. Now, a trade could happen as stated by Omar Kahn but that remains to be seen. Ricky Stromberg from the Commanders would be a sensible fit. Pittsburgh did have interest in him last season via a Visit from Mark Sadowski at the Arkansas Pro Day. Beyond him?! Not too many other options at Center available.

Offensive Tackle?! As I have been saying, JC Latham vs Amarius Mims. Take your pick. I'd opt for Mims but that is just me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I was about to start a thread...Where is the...thread about us getting Dak next year due to Rich Eisen blab.

11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I agree Mims for the win, if he is still available at #20

12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Nothing against Latham or Mims, but if they go tackle in the first I fear they don't get a blue chip center with the way the mocks have been playing out, at least not without having to sacrifice some draft capital to move up in the second or third. On top of that, I also favor Mims but he may not start for awhile since he only played in seven games last year. So they would then need to have potential band aids at both positions if they go his way in the first.

I'm wondering if they've had talks with Connor Williams and have him in play in the background should the better center prospects not fall their way in the draft. They'd likely have to find a stop gap for the start of the season, but would have a proven talent there once he returns and wouldn't have to worry about moving up. I really thought they'd make a push for a Cushenberry in free agency to help ease some pressure off the draft, and that was before they traded Johnson (Morse wasn't a long term strength to me). But maybe they did and things just didn't work out. I'm just envious of the thought of having center shored up while looking at a possible Mims or top corner selection at 1.20.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I feel like we’re currently in a situation where we have to spend our first few picks on certain positions to get guys who can fill holes in the starting lineup as immediately. #1 is center for sure. #2 is WR. Who is going to be the starter opposite Pickens? Right now it feels like we’re just adding a bunch of #4/5 or fringe roster WRs and expecting that one of them will suddenly become a quality starter. #3 is nickel. We’ve got to get a competent nickel corner. I really don’t want to resign Sullivan or one of the other lower tiers guys left on the market and have to rely on him for quality snaps. I feel like drafting a tackle or outside corner early is a luxury we don’t have right now. Never mind BPA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Mims scares me in the first. I am NOT a pro evaluator, however he does not have enough snaps at the position to qualify as a 1st, to me. The man keeps missing time due to injuries. JC Latham yes, Mims no. JPJ or Frazier yes.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :smiley1::lolol::roflmao::facepalm:

Exactly. Center is the number one position to solidify.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    kazee can play some slot. lowry was added as good depth to the d-line. rush, not sure if he can play slot. not so sure the cupboard is as bare as many think. we can still draft and pick up some FA's after we see what we get in the draft.:cool:

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand your concern. I do. Between me and you, I cannot stomach the likes of Dan Moore anymore. What I wouldnt give to see Mims be immediately slotted into the lineup.

However, as you pointed out, Mims has only eight starts to his name. Compare that to the 15 starts season of snaps thar Broderick had coming out. Broderick still had to wait even though just about everyone knew that Brodericks talent even as a Rookie far exceeded Moores. The same logic will be applied to Mims should he be the pick... except "cranked to 11". Mims possesses even more talent and potential than Broderick does; boundless. However, Mims is more raw coming out than Broderick ever was.

This all said, I believe me and you both are saddened by this sentiment here...

Overall, regarding a Center, there are only a handful of options. Either trade up for Zach Frazier or nab Sedrick Van Pran later on. A trade per Omar Kahn is still possible; Ricky Stromberg of the Commanders being high on my list. Drew Dalman of the Falcons is another. Erik McCoy is technically the "best option" though I doubt New Orleans is gonna give him up for free.

18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mims doesnt scare me at all.... provided he isnt thrown in there immediately. Part of being considered a First Round pick is how much better you are than your peers. From a technical and fundemental standpoint, Mims is severely underdeveloped. From an athletic, talent and potential based standpoint?! Mims is either the best or arguably the best in the class for the aforementioned positives outweigh his negatives so much that it js comical.

While I am not a Pro Scout either, I can say that certain positions do benefit from certain areas. Athleticism is very high, if not tops the list, of pre requisites Offensive Tackles need to have. Technique is either first or second but NFL Scouts dont want to overvalue one or the other for that position. Contrary to popular belief, Joe Thomas was a helluva lot more athletic than people gave him credit for. It is just that compared to All Time Great OTs like Johnathan Ogden, Anthony Munoz and Walter Jones were either superior or far superior athletes.

Ideally now, the balance of both is the dream; Joe Alt being this years prime example. However, as you see..... players like him usually are univsersally graded as Top 5 players. To that end, find the massive men with the most physical intangibles first on tape. Confirm that at the Combime. Go from there.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am personally waiting for April 10th. That is when he is slated to hold a personal workout. More than likely, it is going to require a trade up to get him.... though I suspected as such since the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Isaac was dealing with a shoulder injury last season, his play got better as the season went on.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    On SNR they were saying Van Pran wouldn't be a fit for the Steelers offense, I don't know what their reasoning was for that.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There is talk Williams won't be ready for the start of the season.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Name the vets on the OL you wanted them to sign?

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Really?! Interesting.

Gonna have to listen to that. See what I can find.