1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wilson or fields? Week 1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Smokestacks23, Mar 18, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m certainly much more enthusiastic now

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Wilson will have enough in the tank to be the starter for the whole season - barring injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    The chances of Fields ever becoming a top quality starter now are very low indeed, it is very very rare that a high drafted QB gets shipped out quickly by his original team and succeeds elsewhere.

BUT, I think Fields is in the upper echelon of these second chance QB's I have seen.

So i'd put Fields way ahead of someone like Josh Rosen who never had any chance of succeeding anywhere in the NFL, 1st chance 2nd chance or any chance. He's already better than many a recent bust like Trubisky, Sam Darnold, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones - that's not saying much, but at least he does something really well.

So, while I think it's highly unlikely he becomes our logn term QB - he has the tools and a much better shot than many bust QB's on trhe same career trajectory.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smokestacks23

Smokestacks23 Member

Mar 18, 2024
    Look at Geno Smith didn't do anything goes to Seahawks starts doing good. All the quarterbacks you mentioned above can not run like fields.i bet fields ends up with a better career then Pickett!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They don't???? For as much as they have played they don't???? I believe all if them have a winning record,.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Compared to the game they played they had quite a few wins. Did they not??? You need to read back sometimes , and see the whole of what was being said. I said guys like J. Allen, Cam Newton, M. Vick, K. Stewart, and Lamar Jackson all have playing styles like Fields, and not a one has won anything, and He said there are quite a lot of wins there, and I suggested if just wins in the regular season is all that Matters then We should just have kept KFP, Mason, and Trubisky....because all of them have more wins compared to loses in the regular season....which suggest if You go by how many games they have played. You can't judge them by what they haven't played.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st....Geno Smith has been in the league 11 years, and if all You want is as good as Geno has finally gotten..... we could have kept KFP, or Mason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Based on your definition, it appears that Mahomes is the only good QB in the game today, he's the only one who has won the prize. Burrow, Cousins, Purdy, and the other pocket QBs haven't won a damn thing either. So, who do you consider to be good QBs?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    That button was fun to push

10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    https://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/s/fbA7M6awBH

Here is a Reddit post with an absolute boatload of stats on Fields. Followed by a lot of input about him from fans. Do with it what you will but I assume it will simply back up some of the negativity against him.

11. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d prefer to see how he does as a Steeler

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Yep. Me too.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Allen has about as many wins in one season than any of those guys entire careers.

Marino
    Kelly
    Tarkenton
    Moon
    Fouts

To name just several HOF QBs to never win a SB. Takes more than a QB to win one. Add in the fact that there are far fewer running QBs and the odds go up even more that they won’t win a SB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Yes! I consider all of them to be good QBs but their teams just couldn't get over the hump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL....Making stuff up now I see. You can only play 16, and now 17 games in a season......or did J. Allen get a special double season.
    Two of those were running Qbs.....Two of them got to a SB....one of them multiple times.
    If that what You say is true....why not just stick with what ever Qb you get???

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well Mahomes is the best Qb in the league. I've said many many many times....right now He is in a tier by himself. Then tier 2...Burrow (who has been to a SB) , and CJ Stroud, and then tier 3.... M.Stafford(guess You forgot about his SB). After that whatever floats anyone's boat....because..It's the weakest group of Qbs I can remember.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah it wasn't any of the Qbs fault. You , and Blast are correct.....so we should just kept the Qb room we had......since by both of what You guys are saying.....it's the team that matters not the Qb.

18. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Kind of depends on what someone's definition of a running quarterback is. Being mobile doesn't necessarily mean a QB is a running QB. Obviously, the Ravens and Bills use Allen and Jackson as weapons in the run game but Allen is much more dangerous as a passer from the pocket.
    By comparison, Allen averaged only 6 more yards per game rushing than Mahomes. And Allen played one more game. Difference being, the Chiefs didn't use designed runs for Mahomes as much as the Bills do. He's just so dangerous no matter where he is on the field that he can do damage from inside the pocket or out.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Simply. Lamar Jackson got his ankle hurt, and couldn't run....so he didn't play....Mahomes got his ankle hurt....still played, and went, and won a SB. If You can't play Qb ...because You can't run....you are a running Qb.
    Now look at how many times they run....compared.
    J. Allen = 93 game started 657 runs.
    P. Mahomes = 96 games started 374 runs
    Lamar Jackson = 77 games started 875 runs.
    I think it's pretty simple to say who must run, and who doesn't.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What in Gods name are you talking about. Allen has 13 win seasons, Picketts entire win total is 14 and Rudolphs is 8 (Jeh was mistaken on that). So he has 5 more wins than Rudolph and 1 less than Pickett in one season.

Oh so now just getting to the SB is enough, I thought it was winning them which it’s all that counts. Well then Hurts blows up your argument.

The fact that you think SB’s is the only measure of a good QB is laughable.

None of those guys were running QB’s, Moon and Tarkenton scrambled. Next you’ll be saying Ben was a running QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Mr Googlies lied to me

Twice

I just looked it up again and the first answer says 12-8-1

Then when I click on it it says 8

22. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Agree, he keeps stepping into it with his movement of the goalposts. First it was winning the SB, now it's getting to them. His assessment of Newton has to be adjusted based on his latest position. Newton lost to Denver but made it to the SB.

Can't have it both ways, or make it up as you go STD.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Here you go. Whack away!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Forgot about Cam, thats another one.

25. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    So Mahomes IS a running quarterback. He did it 374 times. It's just that unlike Jackson, he's not a one trick pony.