1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The only thing we have reliably reported is that he requested a trade after they signed Wilson and told him Wilson would be getting the first-team snaps. That's it. The rest is leaks that clearly come from the team and rumors spouted by Dulac, who can't be trusted at all.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not really. All the Fields fans will dissappear like all the Trubisky fans did, and act like like they never said anything, and knew He would be bad, and someone will find one thread out of the 50 , or 60 threads discussing it, and say....see I didn't say anything. LoL. History shows us that any Qb that run as much as He does wins nothing. Now if He changes how He plays than maybe, but You don't play a certain way (most of the time) from Pop , Jr High, High School, and college, and just change in the NFL.
    Yes eventually when the whole league is filled with Qbs that can't read defenses, and run around like a chicken with their heads cut off ....they will win SBs, but if You fill the league with women Qbs they will eventually win SBs also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    There's a few NFL QBs left who can read defenses... so I think we're good for now. Russell Wilson is one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Let's just hope He has enough gas in the tank. I sure hope so.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As long as Wilson has gas left in the tank....no, but if We must use Fields....who turns the ball over at about 2 times a game....yes it could be worse.

6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Sounds exactly the same as last year with "Trub The TO Machine" as the backup, except Wilson is a good 50x better than Pickett. So, all in all, we are way ahead than last year:

- QB1 '24 >>>> QB1 '23
    - QB2 '24 == QB2' '23

And if we want to get really pedantic, lets wait for the 3rd QB to show up this season and see whether this year's QB3 is better/worst than Rudolph. But so far, we are way improved.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We saw and heard Kenny's abrasive "NO!" when asked if he'd learned anything watching from the sideline during his time off with injury. Not the end of the world, he's a competitor and I'm sure would rather be playing. But he botched that answer and came off as bratty.

We saw and heard Kenny say a few days later that he was told that "I was going to start if I had been healthy!". Okay, maybe he was told that. Maybe Tomlin bears some of the responsibility for Kenny's crankiness. But once again, Kenny came off as an entitled brat with that response. The way he answered both questions without bothering to give any credit to Mason was bothersome.

The Seattle fiasco. Was he supposed to dress or was he not? We have reports that say that Kenny basically refused (there are multiple ways to "refuse") to dress as the emergency no. 3 QB and we also have reports that say someone in the room heard the conversation and that he did not refuse to dress. But I find that to be somewhat dubious. Maybe there were other conversations that this mystery person was not privy to. Maybe Kenny pouted and behaved so passively-aggressively about it that Tomlin gave in. The story could be completely false. But there has been enough evidence both before and since that leads me to believe that there is just as much likelihood that it could be true.

I'm glad that we at least agree that Pickett requested a trade when Wilson signed. You characterize that as Pickett being misled about Russell Wilson getting first team snaps. Somebody has to be QB1 going into camp and it makes sense that a 9 time Pro-Bowler and Super Bowl champion QB would be that guy over a guy who has struggled mightily his first two seasons in the league. But that doesn't mean that Kenny would not have opportunities to seize the job. And even if he didn't, it may do him some good to take a year and learn from one of the best to play the position in the last 15 years. The perception is that Kenny did not want to fight for the job and compete with Russell Wilson. I understand how people would have that perception given the sense of entitlement that Kenny inexplicably seems to have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I remember a couple years ago, Denver said 'We're in it boys!'
    Turns out they were not.
    We could have an Over the Hill burnout and a guy that throws a lot of picks.

But for the record.... I am going to agree as Mitch Trubisky was awful... really, really awful.
    I think Russ is a vast upgrade over him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Anything could happen, Wilson could also throw for 26 TDs again like he did last year.

But we do know that Pickett sucks. the dude has the lowest TD % of all NFL QBs ever with 500 or more passes!

Think of all of the loser Browns and Jets QBs you have laughed at since the inception of NFL. Well, they are all better than Pickett! That's just pathetic!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I did not mention Pickett.
    But I did live through the worst.... Heath Schuler, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith and the infamous Kim McQuilken.....

I am counting on Wilson to continue his trend from last season.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it's more likely Wilson throws around 21-23 TDs, he will have a better running game than he had in Denver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he will LOVE our running game - a good QB's best friend and he loved to play action pass, his best strength

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are going to dislocate your shoulder if you keep reaching like that.

Saying he didn't learn anything while sitting was not good. The guy was frustrated. His team was fighting for a playoff spot and he couldn't be out there helping and made a poor comment.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said about starting if he had been healthy unless it was not true, and we have no evidence at all that it wasn't true. He answered a question honestly. If he had said or implied something negative about Rudolph, that would have been an issue, but he didn't.

There was one report about the Seattle game, which was then regurgitated by bloggers, creating the illusion that it came from many places. It has also been debunked. You lose all credibility when you regurgitate nonsense like that. There is no evidence that it is true. You are clinging to a false narrative to try to prop up your argument.

No, I did not write that Pickett was misled about Wilson getting first-team snaps. It does make sense that Wilson was going in as the starter. In fact, I have written that repeatedly. Pickett was misled before that when Khan expressed confidence in him and Tomlin said that it would be a big year for him. They said he would have competition for the job, not that he would be pushed back to No. 2 during the offseason.

14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    all of that is hopefully a good life lesson for Pickett on how the real world works. When you have bosses, you have to, sadly, cater to them cause they have the power.

Next time, instead of saying “no” to the learning question, he hopefully says “I am frustrated I cannot help my team win, and am preparing hard to be ready when healthy”. Flippant “no” answers are so teenager-ish.

Next time, when a coach/boss tells him something, hopefully he has learned that it means nothing if a better alternative presents itself the next day. It’s normal for bosses to change their mind *and* employees to choose to go their own paths if better alternatives come along. No one “owes” anyone anything.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Once in two years the guy gave an answer that wasn't great and y'all are clinging to that with all your might. It's funny.

16. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Unfortunately, that's life for a 1st round QB in today's NFL. With all social media and such, any little thing is magnified.

It's a combo of social media and the general entitlement of next generations (thanks for crappy parenting). Bad combo.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not just a salty answer to a question even though he came across as bratty and as if to say "Mason can't teach me anything, I'm QB1 and he's QB3". Maybe he didn't intend it that way, but that's how it came across. And then the press conference a few days later when he was determined to make it clear to everyone that if he was healthy HE was going to be playing and not Mason. Maybe he was told that by Tomlin, but again he came across as an entitled brat. The refusal to dress...who knows. Conflicting reports on that one. But the trade demand after Russ Wilson was signed again gives the perception that Kenny is an entitled brat and when you consider his lackluster performance for two seasons in which he's earned absolutely nothing, it's just bizarre that he somehow feels that he shouldn't have to compete. The fact is somebody has to be named QB1 going into camp and I guess he felt it should've been him. At any rate, my point is that it's not just one answer, Scribe. It's all of the above that has caused me to formulate my negative opinion of Kenny.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And thank you for clarifying your opinion again

19. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Reading up...I just want to say Trubisky and Fields have as much in common as Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart. I don't really get the references I keep seeing except that they did play for the same team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    NFL channel is showing Chicago, Steelers game at 8pm central time tonight

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There you go adding fiction to minimal fact. That is how you saw it because you have an issue with Pickett. He didn't say anything about Rudolph in that moment, and everything he said about him otherwise was complimentary.

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It came across that way. You know it but won't admit it. We all saw how passive-aggressive Kenny became when he wasn't even good enough to start over his backup's backup. :rolleyes:

23. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    My brother is a Green Bay fan and watches much more NFC football than me. He’s very excited the Steelers signed Fields and thinks he can flourish here. Sure he’s no talent evaluator, just a fan’s perspective

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    If I remember correctly, Fields played pretty well that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know it at all. You are making things up because you have an issue with the guy.

He wasn't happy about not being able to play, which is normal. It is preferable. Players should want to play. He said nothing but positive things about Rudolph.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024