1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Espn's "get up' just said JF trade to Pittsburgh was the best move in FA this year... They then went on to Make fun of Pickett ( more or less) for not wanting to compete with Wilson..lol

2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    As I understand, this Front Office sees Fields as the long term.
    They do want him to ride the pine this year and play in spots. (All bets are off should he have a smoking camp)
    They compare his play style to Wilson, so they want Wilson's abilities to show Fields the way to use his towards success.

It looks like a juggling act coming up.
    Along with thinking about when to extend Fields now or later;
    • If Wilson shows promise, they aren't going to let him walk. Is Fields ok being #2 another season or two?
    • If Wilson flops, and Fields shows promise, I could see Wilson walking after a 1-year deal. Fields will get a starter contract.
    • If Wilson flops and Fields doesn't do well... the GM should be fired and both QB's walk, especially if they extend Fields before the season.
    Hope they've done their homework.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Khan should be fired if he missed on a couple of cheap rolls of the dice at quarterback? Unless you believe Pickett was the man, that doesn't make sense. If you assume the quarterbacks he inherited weren't good enough, it's not as if he ruined a good situation. He's just trying to adapt to a bad one. I don't agree with everything he has done, but no way is all that bad enough to warrant firing Khan.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed - the firing comment was a bit over the top.

pickett will wash out of the league soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt that. I expect him to bounce around as a backup for a while and perhaps get another shot to start either through an injury or another change of scenery.

That said, I'm not sure Khan's moves at quarterback make all that much sense. The Steelers hired an offensive coordinator who likes to attack the middle of the field, then acquired two quarterbacks who don't like to throw there. He also traded for the quarterback who led the league in average time to throw, Fields. Guess who was second in that category? Yup. Russell Wilson. Do y'all trust the Steelers' offensive line to hold up well enough to make that work?

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I doubt the Steelers would fire him anyway.
    That decision to allow Canada to remain has lingering effects... he was part of that. Transition or not.
    He got a deal with 2 QBs... that's fine. But if they both flop, that becomes another horrible decision.
    His WR's are thin as onion skin paper.
    If he doesn't find a Center and an OT to boot, I would run him off before the sunset

I think it is great that he will roll those dice. He has made some deals and some sucked. Mason Cole was a disaster to add to the pile.
    I despise the lies that went on with the Pickett deal, I don't blame Pickett for requesting a trade. Tomlin probably bears the brunt of those, but Omar gets some too.
    The Cap Management isn't awful, I couldn't beat him up too much there.

Conversely, if it all falls into place..... he deserves a ton of praise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    IMG_8480.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Busy avoiding all media to hide from it lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Firing the GM sounds like a Redskins move. If Wilson and Fields both play poorly, it will be back to the QB drawing board. It would be a mulligan for Khan. They maybe throwing darts with Wilson and Fields, but at least they turned the lights on. The point is the overall QB play was unacceptable last year. The Steelers are trying to improve that position at a reasonable cost. Either they improve the position and they win a playoff game, they don't win a playoff game (which is where the team was), or they go back to the QB drawing board.

It may end up being Wilson played like a 38-year old Ben, the team made the playoffs, but lost in the 1st round. If that happens, see what you have in Fields for 2025.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    A full yard less per attempt is a big difference. Six more interceptions in that span isn't great, either.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The Redskins fired Coaches not GM's. They didn't even have GM's until as of late.
    But the point is made.

I could dial it down, but I am holding Omar and his sidekick accountable.
    The Pickett situation only plays a small percent into my lack of trust in these guys.... they did lie.
    I agree with the QB situation, I don't think many wouldn't.
    If they get results, that keeps me happy and quiet, and they deserve praise.
    If they fail, they need to be accountable. I'm not going to blame them for a toilet not flushing... just the moves they've made.
    They did sign the best LB.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

You also have to factor in Ravens won 13 more game than the Bears over the last 2 seasons, so there's a large discrepancy in supporting talent and coaching. But yeah there's ground to be made up.

The chances that any of these guys who get drafted early, fail and then get moved, are ever going to become top quality NFL QB's is low - but he's one of the better shots I have seen lately, he at least has the talent and his recent play wasn't that bad.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    So you are knocking him for not having better stats than the league MVP

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Of, course NOBODY avoids the middle of the field more than KP. Maybe that was the real reason that they got rid of him?

Or maybe that's why he ever so politely, almost Geisha-like, asked for a trade? Maybe he got a glimpse of the Smith playbook, and his between-the-hashmarks phobia overcame him in an awesome wave?

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The quarterback play was a big part of that discrepancy, too. I just though it was odd that anyone would present that comparison as a way of praising Fields, especially with the big difference in yards per attempt.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm knocking whoever posted that and thought it somehow justified arguing in favor of Fields.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The aversion to the middle of the field was Canada. It was going on before Pickett became the quarterback. Did you not notice him going right to the middle of the field in his first game with Canada gone? Why do you not know that?

This thread is about Fields and the current quarterback situation, but even your whataboutism doesn't hold up.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Fields is upgrade over Pickett

I understand that is not saying much

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yeah - pickett comes out looking like an immature baby in all of this

has a lot of work to 'rehab' his image.

won't get much of a chance behind Hurts, it appears - at least for a while, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, I guess if you think LJ’s QB play matches the media hype machine, this could be encouraging. I think he’s an average QB with great wheels who needs the support of a great roster to contend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this is it, exactly. Fields is an insurance policy and maybe more - maybe the future.

maybe neither make it,

then you start again.

no one ever said it would be easy to replace a legend.

See NE.

How are things going in INDY?

DEN can't get settled.

life is hard.

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i know you doubt it - you are FAMILY!!!!!!

he not only is not good, but he is IMMATURE - the double edged sword of death. go ahead - keep rooting against our Team and GM. The Eagles I hear, are taking fans!

We will add to this OL and it will improve.

and you may not know this, but a better QB makes the LINE better......

bye now!

• Like Like x 2
  23. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    wow not too bad for the last 20 games. and considering one team is vastly better than other thats not too bad.

need to still look up the QB breakdown videos to learn more about this guy

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I’m not the only one saying it. Khan is just doing his job and improving the team.

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I am very curious to see how either Wilson or Fields fit into Arthur Smith's offense. Also, I would expect Fields would do better behind our suspect OL than old man Wilson. At least have something exciting to debate during the offseason.