1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell Mason Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He got a 1 year contract for little money. Tennessee is kicking the tires and see who wins the backup job to Levis. Whoever loses will likely be cut.

• Like Like x 1
  2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Statistically speaking, he really only had one bad game against the Browns throwing 4 INTs. Everyone points to the tie against the Lions as if that was the telling point. Did he light it up? No he didn't, but he played at a higher level of play than we have seen over the past two seasons with Pickett and Trubisky. Then he comes in and raises the play of the offense the last three games of the season. After everything he dealt with and the way he was treated, we really got to see the maturity and confidence we haven't seen since Ben retired. Everyone points to Kenny's downfall being OC-Matt Canada, but they do not afford Mason the same excuse. Mason very well may flourish in a new system and OC who understands NFL offenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I am not sure my position was difficult to understand, but I’ll restate it -

Rudolph is a backup, and is viewed as a backup, as evidenced by his 1 year contract at a rate lower than any other FA QB signing (save for Wilson and Tribusky). All three of those QBs were signed at rock bottom prices.

In your response, you conflated two different issues by introducing Pickett and who should have started last year (or how everything was viewed and handled).

We are past last year and need to make decisions about next year. I prefer Wilson and Pickett (with Wilson starting) over Rudolph and Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Lol then why are you on a thread about Mason Rudolph??? CLEARLY we are having a conversation about the way things were handled last year but for some reason u felt it necessary to come sh!t on mason rudolph some more then be dismissive about the topic... "we are past last year"... sure thing bud... What would rudolph be worth had he started all of last season like he CLEARLY should have, instead of being called upon to save Tomlins a$$ & propel the team into the playoffs like he did at the end of the year??? The only ppl who believe differently are Pickett fanboys who dismiss his terrible performance for 2 yrs for whatever reasons... Maybe Rudolph is only a backup, though he sure didn't look it those last 4 games & imagine what he could do if given starter reps an entire off season to the 1st game... What he DEFINITELY is, is a better Qb than Kenny Pickett and anyone with a shred of sense knows it... So it should be Wilson/Rudolph If the Steelers cared about winning...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You don't have a clue whether it was Titan or Rudolph's idea to sign a one year deal. It makes sense for Rudolph to sign a one year deal if he believes he can win the starting job and can come back in a year for a starter's money contract. Willis has been horrible. It's between Levi and Rudolph. Levi is just like Pickett...horrible to average and Mason actually has a better QB rating in the nfl over him. The new Titans coach is not bound by any old hierarchy and actually saw Rudolph destroy Cincinnati bengals last year in person (He was Cincinnati's OC). He may actually prefer Rudolph at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    They gave
    Mason $2.7M guaranteed

I don’t see them cutting that

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    You are right - a thread about Mason Rudolph that included a variety of tangents. It’s a message board and the conversations evolve as the pages accumulate for any given thread.

There are a variety of themes being debated in this thread alone. If you cannot follow along, then I am sorry it is too complex for you to follow.

Go back and look at Page 3 (or earlier), the thread went off the rails before I posted anything.

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    A small irony here is that MR is headed to a team that just lost their best running back since Eddie George and Jason Kelsey is regretting his retirement now that Henry is headed to Philly. Tempus Fugit.

(Edit: Forget the reference to Kelce/Kelsey. I'll blame James Webb ST for that.:rolleyes:)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    You're right,,, I'm the one off topic here... lol

10. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    Glad the message board police are out in full force this morning. We are all safer for your efforts sir!

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Orrrr its a typical 1 year BU contract. The only people who think he is starter material is his fans.

This is two years in a row that he has had bad off seasons.

12. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022

You mean Henry is headed to Baltimore.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good, hope its Willis ;)

14. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope Mason does get a fair shot. I don't see the Titans giving up on Levis anytime soon. I was looking for Mason to go to Minnesota and think he may have started. However, he is a team player and will help Levis succeed. A 1-year deal may not be a bad deal for Mason since there are quite a few QBs in this draft. I'm not sure yet what the 2025 QB draft holds but he may have more opportunity next year. I mean hey, Flacco's career wasn't looking too promising 15 months ago. Didn't I read that Flacco was watching football from his couch on Sunday afternoons when the Browns called him?

15. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    It’s actually a great situation if he gets a starter role and balls out. There is nowhere else in the nfl where he has a better shot at starting and succeeding next year.

16. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh the irony in that one. Watch us end up with a Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett QB battle in 2025.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. The Vikings went with Darnold, he is absolutely horrible. Raiders were also in the market for a starter. Falcons another team. I don’t think he got many offers. Titans is a good spot as there is no obvious franchise guy so maybe that works out for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    For me it would have been one full season of starts. If he had beaten out Pickett in camp this year and we rolled with him for a season to see if he actually did evolve learning from the bench and now put it together what would we lose. Jeez we ran Trib and KP the last two years so why not go with who really performed this camp and preseason. Then again I still wonder what camp and preseason really shows you anyway. So if we had run Mason/KP this year I would have been fine if that showed us neither are true starters then you go to the draft next year. All water under the bridge now anyway as we have moved on.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually the bigger reality is I don't know what I'm talking about. Guess I was reading two headlines at the same time and got my tang all tongueled. :facepalm:
    The part about Henry leaving is true, as far as I know. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  20. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    This proved the Steelers judged masons market value correctly. Back up QB worth near vet min

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Shut up. It ignores nothing. I could sit and break down every int, and td for people that don't watch, but I don't comment for people that don't watch.
    Mason scores a td.... @Formerscribe points out that the sun was directly in the defense players eyes therefore the td somehow doesn't count.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    should the fire Tomlin chants start if Mason beats :steelflag: either in a regular game or playoff game.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I know when I picked....you know how??? I said Just Two Years Ago before I said it... I was waiting for someone to say this....Yes He looked better last year....with one of the highest respected offensive minds in the NFL.....who didn't want Him back.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  24. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Going to be interesting around here should Mason ever face the Steelers. Some individuals might have trouble deciding who to root for.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm name Me a Qb that is all that You say He is.... that not one, but two teams with future HOF HCs said .....No Thank You??? Again....I pray You are correct, but I can't one time in My history of watching the NFL remember this happening.