1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kurt Warner Breaks Down Russ Wilson's Play

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Mar 12, 2024.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I think it's important enough to not get this lost in the Russ Wilson thread.

Basically it comes down to feeling comfortable and confidence.

After 9 pro bowls, the guy didn't forget to play Quarterback. They need to get an offensive line and coaching staff that can can work with him to help him be the Russ of old.

If so, they have a championship caliber QB.

As always Kurt breaks this down perfect showing why he was so good.

QB is all about the cerebral game like playing chess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He is very cerebral. Reads and processes well. Scored an above average 28 on the Wonderlic (Kenny scored a 17). I'm not sure you can teach the cerebral part of the game. Either you have it, or you don't. I'm sure you can get better in certain areas, but you can't go from having well below average football intellect to all of a sudden being Peyton Manning. That's what concerns me the most about Kenny. He just seems to have serious issues processing the game at the speed necessary to be successful and doesn't have the physical tools to compensate for his below average football intellect. He's also not very durable and to be a successful AFC North QB, you've got be able to play hurt. I remember once when Ben was actually killed in a game late in the second quarter and came back in after halftime, lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Not encouraging. We already have a QB who is uncomfortable in the pocket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

another child reply.

Russ is a mature OLD veteran.

he should be fine, with our STUD running game and a play action pass game that AS will implement.

it is elementary, really.

won't be perfect, it won't be Mahomes, Allen and Jackson - no one expects that

stack this D, score some TD's - something Kenny can't do, get into the playoffs and see what happens.

next thread please.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Russ wasn't bad last season...... people basically blamed him for not matching the 70 pts the dolphins tacked on him, as if he played defense as well.... that was the prevalent attitude throughout the season for the most part

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Just don't watch JT O'Sullivan's 2022 breakdown on his game against Carolina. You won't like what you hear.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    That game that Ben got carted off was against the Bungles in Paul Brown Stadium. Fans were booing and some were throwing beers at him. He came back after halftime and won the game. Drunken Bungles fans are some of the worst but easy to tame.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How is that a child’s reply? You guys get mad at Pickett for leaving the pocket, ya’ll gonna love Russ, been sacked 100 times the last two seasons.

I’m convinced the excitement around Wilson is more to do with “anybody but Pickett” than what Wilson actually brings to the table.

Like I said, maybe they catch lightening in a bottle he is far from a sure thing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I was listening to Harry Douglas just a little bit ago talk about the Falcons fans complaining about Ridder and now whining that the team went and got Cousins who is clearly a better quarterback. Same thing goes on here on this message board. Guys whining incessantly about how bad Pickett is but when the team makes a move that they feel is an upgrade at quarterback, they're not happy with that either.
    I'm only referring to the guys who thought Pickett should not get another chance to start and that he will always be trash.
    Many of us were in agreement that they should have rolled with Rudolph and Pickett going into the season but for all we know, Rudolph might not have ever had any intention of coming back to the team which forced their hand to find a veteran.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

stay tuned, bunch of tone deaf people here, that is for sure.

different offense, can i say it any more clearly

good grief.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think most fans are realistic about what Wilson is at this stage in his career. He is not a top tier QB and nobody should expect that. It’s going to be a run first offence and it will stall and look bad at times, especially when teams shut down the run

One area where I am hopeful for improvement is in the Redzone. Wilson, for all his faults is still a good Redzone QB, he threw 20 TDS last season on 70 attempts, near the top of the league in efficiency. If they can improve just that part of the game the Steelers undoubtedly have a better team.

Im still not sure if it’s a good idea or not but at the money they are paying Russ it’s absolutely worth the risk of bringing him in and seeing if it works. If he is completely washed or if he is causing issues they can cut him midseason and nothing is lost.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Speak up

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree 100%. Don’t want to make it sound like Wilson brings nothing of value. The redzone as you stated but also his leadership and experience. There is nothing defenses will throw at him that he hasn’t seen or that will confuse him like will happen with Pickett. He’s also an excellent deep ball passer so this could be a huge year for Pickens.

Just think people are expecting Russ from his Seattle days. He’s 36, not every one can continue playing at a high level at that point of their careers.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re just waving pompoms with no substance but that’s ok.

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I will be interested to see how they try to work with him. If you can accentuate his good traits and try to support him with a strong ground game this could be a good or at least above average offence, especially if Russ can continue to be efficient in the redzone.

The 2023 Steelers would have been a different team with a QB throwing 20-30 TD’s (Russ would have thrown 30 if he hadn’t been benched).

We shouldn’t fool ourselves in to thinking the team is a contender but I’m hopeful that the ceiling is higher than it was last year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While I would have preferred Rudolph, the Wilson signing was a good one from a purely risk/reward aspect. He's basically costing us nothing, and he knows how to play QB. The fit in Denver was terrible. I think with a great defense and a solid running game, Wilson gives us a chance to compete. He's a smart, savvy veteran and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in an Arthur Smith run offense. Hopefully, Kenny will watch and learn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Leave him alone. It’s way better than his normal negative routine. Lol

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually I was thinking that, shoe is on the other foot. He’s getting a taste of his own medicine!

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Never thought of that. Carry on.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1