1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB competition at this point certainly feels like ......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NewMexicoLobo, Mar 4, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who says McCarthy is a franchise QB?

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not an apples to apples comparison. One played his entire career under Canada and the other played one game under him in 2019 and he lost and then got the luxury to take over when he was no longer here.

Pickett leads them to their first 400 yard game in 3 years and it’s so hard for everyone to believe Canada was the problem and that Pickett would have continued to play well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Speaking of a poor, dishonest rhetorical tactic…

I’ve never claimed Mason Rudolph was “great”. I’ve said he had the best quarterback performance we’ve seen out of a Steelers quarterback in over two full seasons which is factually true. He had command of the offense and ran it well. Every aspect of the offense improved with him under center, the passing game (he kept both DJ and Pickens engaged which is no small task), the running game (teams couldn’t stack the box because there was a quarterback who presented a bonafide threat to throw the ball downfield) and the offensive line (who didn’t have to guess where Rudolph was going to be because of his clearly superior pocket discipline). Those are all facts. I’m sorry you can’t see that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I know what I saw last year in Wilson, and if the Broncos would have had Najee Harris, George Pickens and DJ Johnson, Russell would have had a lot better season.

I think the notion that Kenny has problems under center and with play action comes from Kenny Pickett himself.
    Pickett Admits He's Still Getting Comfortable Working Under Center - Steelers Depot
    upload_2024-3-4_20-5-1.png

Sean Payton is getting rid of Russell Wilson. If you followed the Broncos at all last year, you would have seen Payton having problems with Russell from training camp going forward. Payton does not like players who challenge him. Wilson needs a more of a player's coach than a dictator. The only worse coach for Russell Wilson than Sean Payton would have been Bill Belichick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My apologies if I mischaracterized your take. Too bad you failed to do the same when you mischaracterized mine. Twice.

Rudolph doesn't have superior pocket discipline. He just has a problem that is the opposite of Pickett's. He stands in there too long, often trying to throw as a defender is about to hit him, creating a risk for fumbles like we saw against the Ravens. He got away with it because the Bengals and Seahawks couldn't get much pressure on him. The difference is that Pickett is only two seasons in and could improve. Rudolph is six seasons into his career and he still has the same issues.

6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Lol…I thought there for a minute that maybe Scribe is capable of a little humility. Then I read the next sentence. :facepalm::lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I did edit the post, but my response was fair. I told you that you mischaracterized what I wrote twice and you failed to acknowledge that at all. You told me I mischaracterized your post and I apologized. See the difference?

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The fans anointing Rudolph as the long term answer to our QB needs are overdoing it, but I think it’s undeniable that Rudolph played better than Pickett, even considering Pickett’s improved play vs. Cincinnati. Art’s sentiment that it was (paraphrasing) good to see what our offense could do with good QB play is an accurate contrast. Regardless, I don’t think either guy has what it takes to be the long-term starter for a contender.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    New Mexico Lobos???????

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It wasn’t my intent to mischaracterize your post so I do apologize if that’s the way it came across. My impression in following and being a part of this discussion has been that you don’t want to give credit to Rudolph for anything he’s done when I think most objective observers would admit that he’s the primary (not the only) reason they were able to end the season with a three game winning streak after looking putrid in many of the games leading up to that with both Kenny and Mitch at QB. The offense looked competent and became fun to watch again with Rudolph in there after being painful to watch with KP and MT under center. IMHO, the difference was profound and I don’t understand why some aren’t willing to recognize and acknowledge that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense looked competent and fun to watch with Pickett in the first game against the Bengals. They were moving the ball on the Cardinals before he got hurt, too, but Cole kept blowing up drives with poor snaps all game long. He did it twice before Pickett left the game, then again on the fumble on the snap to Trubisky in the third quarter.

I have written that Rudolph played well, but he was helped tremendously by favorable circumstances that weren't there most of the time when Pickett played. It is the foolish notion that it was all Rudolph that I push back against and I am correct in doing so.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're a little late with that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    :popcorn:

16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    :guiness:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    It sounds like the Steelers want to build a possession-based ground and pound offense that relies on safe QB play. Rudolph and Pickett fit that mold. Fields and Wilson do not. I’m honestly not sure you can win with a great ground game in today’s NFL, but since the Steelers are built for that kind of game I guess they at least need to keep moving in that direction.

18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Not that I want him, but Wilson absolutely fits that mold.

19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

you cannot win big games with that kind of game.....you can just be good enough

that is the MIKE TOMLIN STANDARD

Good enough not to SCARE ANYONE!!!

I LOVE a great ground game, but teams will put 8 in the box. Kenny CANNOT throw them out of it. He showed it PLENTY of times.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think they are going to try to roll with mason and KP. upgrade around them as well on offense. i also think we may have the o-linemen here already to do so. everyone knows we don't adjust quickly here. herbig could play guard. daniels could move to center and anderson could move into the RT spot. cook and moore as the backup tackles and they wouldn't have to go with high draft picks on the o-line. we could possibly draft a guard to eventually take over for seumalo down the road like zinter from michigan. they may also add some in free agency. :cool:

21. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Exactly. That won't be good enough to beat Mahomes, Reid, and the Chiefs in the playoffs.

The 49'ers are a much superior and more talented version of that 'game plan' (who feasted on the Black and Gold Cupcake in the opener) and still lost to the Chiefs in the Superbowl.

Having an elite QB is what matters in the modern NFL thanks to the passing friendly rules. You must have an elite QB to compete in the AFC, especially against Mahomes who is the comeback king and utterly clutch.

If you don't have that QB, you have to keep rolling the dice and NEVER overpay for an average QB who eats up too much cap space. I don't think Wilson, Rudolph, Tannehill, Fields, and especially Pickett are the answer long term.

The only redeeming quality Pickett has is he is a Dollar Tree QB on an affordable rookie contract. After this season, he will be holding a clipboard or out of the league. No matter who the Steelers roll out as QB in 2024, they will be a one year rental who at best gets them to the wild card round to be humiliated. Fans need to lower the expectations.

The Steelers need to be planning for the future QB in the draft in 2025 and 2026.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Wilson is going to make $85 million the next two years, guaranteed. Denver is paying that. Unless someone offers him $86 million the next two years, Denver is on the hook for any difference.
    He stays at home for two years? $85 million. Signs with us (or any other team for that matter) for $1.2 million (which is what I believe vet minimum for him would be), we pay $2.4 million, Broncos pay $82.6 million. I'm sure Wilson isn't going to be looking too hard to save Denver any money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Outside of Tom Brady, who has been good enough to beat Mahomes, Reid, and the Chiefs in the playoffs? Could you make a list?

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait a min Justin Herbert team sucks???? Since He's been there they suck. I like the kid, and He has talent, but to say He has nothing to do with them sucking is wrong. I have watched many times them be tied, in a lead, or just a few points behind in the end of a game, and He either does nothing, or turns the ball over. There have been many great players on the teams He has played for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    And check it twice

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1