1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you have given up on Kenny Pickett already?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Feb 22, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Super Bowl or Bust

get ready for BUST.

that said, a STRONG TEAM is my preference and we have not been that for years.

and we won't be that with KP this year.

SO - YES - get a solid QB and COMPETE!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There are very very few QB’s in NFL history that could pump fake like Big Ben in his prime. You don’t even see QB’s ever attempt it by play design which gets secondary and LB’s to bite on the play. I miss that part of Ben’s skills. Don’t expect to see that trait from these young “elite” QB’s any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I haven't given up on Kenny until he sucks this year again.doesnt throw TD,S doesn't throw to our WR more. Starts throwing lots of picks. can't keep Def. on field all year all game. Only then I'll give up on Kenny. Kenny already seems mad about how he is treated so do something about it Kenny win us a Superbowl.:blink:

4. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Anyway, if Steelers sign Fields Kenny is history.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn’t stop DJ from endorsing Rudolph.

6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I don’t think ‘given up on’ is the right way to put it. BUT…when the HC comes out publicly and says there will be competition for QB1, Kenny is on notice. Take it to the next level or even the next level, or prepare to sit in 2024.
    I have zero problems with this approach. Iron sharpens iron and other such cliches.

7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This. I can just see this happening. How many years will it go on is the question.

It seems like even the people that think he can get better don't think he'll ever be anything special.

I don't want to wait and hope. They have to draft somebody. If KP comes out and crushes it, great. You can always trade the other guy.

You can't wait another whole year to find out he's not it. At least if they draft somebody, even if they give KP the whole year, you have something in place for 2025.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes Zach Frazier won 4 straight state championships in wrestling starting in his freshman year in HS. Leverage and footwork is second nature to him. I would love to get a big tackle like Mims in the first round and take Frazier in the second, that would go a long way in securing our offensive line.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2023
    Everything is compressed; it's a rarity that someone like a Goff is even allowed to develop these days. But then again, he DID show something before he was demoted and traded. Just making it to the Super Bowl is nothing to sneeze at. In 2018 he was 13-3, most people forget that. How happy would we be if Kenny could win 13 games and make the Super Bowl?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    The sad thing is, if Kenny can put up a 9-8 record he'll probably keep his job. As long as he doesn't throw too many ints he can keep his 1/2 TD pass-a-game pace and Art and Tomlin will be high fiving each other. But that will be OK, because Kenny will be "learning a new system" in the meantime, and that takes years, according to the "Steelers' way."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I haven’t given up on him, but wasn’t sold to begin with either. He’s shown basically nothing in terms of growth thus far. Bring in two quarterbacks during the offseason and have a legit open competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    stupid hair cut

13. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    thank you

14. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Kenny doesn't have that deep of a ball threat.
    Kenny doesn't have that urgency to stay on the pocket (even if he's going to take a hit).

So that's why I'm in favor of moving on and letting him sit for a couple years to learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Good as done
    Big mistake

16. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    To be honest...I wasn't high on the draft pick in general (I didn't want a QB in that draft)...didn't hate him...but just didn't think he was that dude. That said, I'm out on KP. Canada was terrible and didn't help his cause. But KP just did not operate at an NFL level in any sense. I hope for the Steelers sake he proves me wrong. I think he starts this year...I don't think there are better options available that could take us to the promise land...and I don't want to spend draft capital or overpay for average.

Could KP still turn out to be a starter capable QB...maybe. But I'm looking for more than starter capable. In our division we have 2 MVP caliber QBs to contend with (regardless of how anyone feels about Lamar's post season shortcomings...dude wins a lot of regular season games...which puts them in good position for post season runs). If we don't have a QB who can compete with those two...it doesn't matter. For that reason...I'm out on KP. Even if he did reache his ultimate potential...he would still fall far short of Burrow and Jackson. Same reason we dominated our division for so long...we consistently had the best QB with 7.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    The writing is on the wall: Rooney, Tomlin and, hell, even Bradshaw have anointed Kenny to be the starting QB. Oh, they tried to sneak in the "but there will be competition at the QB position, competition is good for all positions." Yea, sure, just like 2022, right? There was real "competition" at the QB spot that year....except it was between Trubisky, Mitch and himself. They lied that entire time. There was no real competition, it was Mitch's job, period, end of story.

But, after Mitch failed, it "re-started" the competition, and it was between Kenny, Pickett and himself. Huh? What about Mason? He was NEVER in any competition, that was a 100% lie. In 2023, after they burnt through Mitch and Kenny - through injury and sh-- performance - Mason finally got a shot, but only through attrition, and he sliced them fools. He dropped da bomb on them fools. He blew @ss on all of dem.

And after he supplied such obvious increase in QB production and performance? <shrug the shoulders> Kenny is back to being the starter. Just listen to what Rooney said. "I'm not ready to give up on Kenny. I have confidence he is still the guy." And in two years, what has given you this "confidence?" His 1/2 a TD pass per game? His league-low 37 QBR? His 13 TD-13 int ratio? His fragile, China doll durability? His immature, caustic reaction to being benched, as if he had really "proved something" by his play so far?

Oh, wait. You mean the "confidence" you got by "hand picking" Kenny in the 1st round? You mean by your confusing Kenny with Dan Marino, the alumni also from PITT who rewrote the NFL passing records? Kenny is no Marino. Kenny will NEVER be anything close to Marino, in any shape, form or manner. Kenny can't carry Danny's jock strap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Line is key! I actually like having Warren and Harris. If used properly we have a great 1-2 punch. Csonka/Kiick, just goofing. A good O-line could make the Steelers an offensive force. And all know a great pass game relies on a great run game. We get a decent Center and upgrade the rest, we could confuse the F out of opposing defenses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, but the last time Ben was truly dominant was the back to back 6 TD games vs. Luck/Colts & Flacco/Ravens in 2014. After that, he never did take over games like he did for those games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023

Hopefully not. If your QB isn't a Mahomes, Burrow, or Allen, they are not worth giving a second contract due to the salary cap.

Kenny is not good enough to take up 20%-30% of your cap and won't be winning a Superbowl. Canada clearly sucked, but its obvious Kenny can't read defenses well, lacks confidence, seems panicky in the pocket, and is injury prone.

KP hasn't proven he is worth another contract, he is clearly a bottom QB in the NFL. They are simply better off with keep drafting a cheaper rookie QB so you can keep your defense and skill positions in tact until you hit on the franchise QB. None of the Free Agent QB's are worth a damn, Tannehill, Wilson, or Fields, none are the answer.

I think they have to either roll with Pickett or Rudolph (my preference) in 2024, but neither are the long term answer. The Steelers will need to draft a QB in 2024 or 2025.

If they extend Kenny, based on a mediocre 9-8 record, this team will be irrelevant and out of Superbowl contention for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Seems odd coming from a defensive player

Possibly ex defensive player

22. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:

23. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Kind of hard to arbitrarily put 4 games on him but there certainly needs to a steady progression of improvement starting game one

It may be a new OC but he’s not a rookie anymore

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    There are two other teams in our own division who have elite QB's. Both are expected to be fighting to get to the SB. If Watson ever gets it together, you can throw the Browns into the SB mix. We can't compete with that until we give up premium picks to move up and get our guy. Or, suck for a few years and come out of it with a franchise QB. This 9-8, fighting for a playoff spot, then hoping to upset a WC team isn't working.

My biggest fear is Pickett playing somewhat decent. We get to the postseason, and then we get a Daniel Jobes type situation that the Giants are facing.

You won't win a SB in the AFC without an elite QB. That's just a fact.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Huck Finn

Oct 22, 2023
    Coming from a D player hoping to keep his roster spot by "towing the company line" in my opinion.