1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph indicates he wants a fresh start

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 11, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was the best Qb room in the NFL at one time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven’t completely discredited him, he played well. It’s the overhyping I have a problem with and the dismissing of Picketts best game of his career and leading the team to 400+ yards in his first game without Canada. Something that hadn’t happened for 59 games.

Arizona is an incomplete game, we have no idea how the rest of the game plays out if he doesn’t get hurt.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt they would be looking at Tannehill as a starter. The only way he makes sense is if they want to hand the keys to Pickett for 2024 and figure Tannehill, which his experience in Smith's offense, can help.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pointing out that while he played well overall, he made a disastrous mistake in the playoff game is not ****ting on him.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would do the same, but I wouldn't have much faith in it happening that way.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett completed seven of 10 passes for 70 yards against the Cardinals. Remember, Mason Cole ruined two drives while Pickett was in there with bad snaps, then had an even worse one for the fumble once Trubisky took over.

Nobody is saying Rudolph didn't play well in those three games. I'm just tempering my enthusiasm because I understand he had the help of weak competition in two of them and a team that wasn't fully trying in the third.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

best game of the year for.......16 points. kid does not know how to get the ball into the EZ. and he does not know how to stay healthy. 2 serious problems

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Further context. Refs blew a TD call and Warren fumbled in the redzone I believe and then DJ while pouting didn’t bother to jump on the ball. Figure that play would have at least led to a FG and maybe another TD.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

good point on the blown TD call (Tomlin BLEW the red flag!)

but good point.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree on Tomlin, too. Definitely.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!: with all of this except the last sentence. I think he can be a starter in the NFL. I don’t think he’s an elite level starter, but I think he can be a very effective starter and win a lot of games in the right offensive system and with a strong defense. He knows how to distribute the ball to his playmakers and is above average at reading defenses, something Kenny struggles mightily with.

I just don’t get how anybody who watched our quarterback play over the last two plus seasons and then watched Mason’s play the last month of the season can be anything but appreciative of how he reminded us all what competent quarterbacking actually looks like.

Kenny’s 6 TDs in 13 games and historically low TD rate is not all on Matt Canada. And you’re correct, Elvis, that Pickett was reverting to some of his old habits before he got hurt in the Cards game. No matter what some think, Kenny Pickett could not have and would not have led this team to three straight wins at the end of the season and into the playoffs like Mason Rudolph did. No way based on his performance over two seasons!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If he is smart, he will get out of there to try and save his career. He knows he is not going to be the long-term starter for the Steelers and will go back to not dressing on Sundays the first time he struggles. I wish him the best of luck moving on.

13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    One would think a new offensive coordinator would be a "fresh start." Rudolph is doing what he needs to do to maximize his market value.

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers give up on Kenny Pickett, takes QB at 20 in ESPN mock draft
    Story by Dan Fappiano • 21h

Talking Heads are going crazy with BS.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I am absolutely confident that the Steelers would have beaten the Bengals a second time around with Pickett. I am equally as confident that they would have beaten the Seahawks because his improvements with Canada gone would have been enough of a threat in the passing game to allow Harris and Warren to trample Seattle's defense, which was the real reason they won that game. The only wild card would have been the game against the Ravens, mostly because the weather made a mess of things. Then again, I think they would have had a better chance to beat the Patriots with Pickett.

Pickett completed seven of 10 passes for 70 yards before he got hurt against the Cardinals. He had two drives ruined by terrible shotgun snaps from Cole on third down, then drove the team to the one, getting hurt on the third down that set up the incredibly-stupid decision to go for it on fourth-and-goal.

Most of the criticism he gets for that game comes down to one play, the one on which he got hurt. A receiver came open late near the left sideline, but clearly his first option was to the right and the line didn't give him time to get back to the other far sideline. I wonder how much leeway he was given when it came to looking for first reads rather than what the defense showed him by formation. He needs to handle plays like that better, but I also want to see him with Smith before I give up on that aspect of his game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph is gone. Might as well accept it and move on. Steelers only have Pickett on the roster. They need a vet backup and QB draft pick.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dollars to donuts, Canada had Pickett going through pure progressions. He wasn’t splitting the field and identifying the defender in conflict. I’ll see if I can find it but Warner had a great film segment on ways to make the QB’s job easier. He’s not a fan of pure progressions. Had nothing to do with Pickett, just one of his film studies on playing the QB position. Really excellent breakdown.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes but he got clicks and a paycheck

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t know if it was Canada or Pickett but this was definite

Big dumb in one of his shows said when you look at the defense you have to change your progression

If Pickens is one on one then no matter what your progression should start with him

Pickett did not do this

I would have to blame this on coaching because if any one of us was the coach we would say hey Kenny look at George

Therefore that is why I think there is still life in the KSP project

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, I saw that. If we take Bo Nix at #20 I am going to shoot someone.

Depending on Free Agency, I would have no problem at all taking a QB like Bo Nix in the 3rd - 5th round range.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    upload_2024-2-15_12-29-15.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I blame Tomlin on Rudolph's slow start in the playoff game. Why Tomlin could not get behind Mason Rudolph and make him QB #1 for the playoff game is beyond me. It is Rudolph's 1st playoff game and the last thing you want to hear is your head coach saying something like "Yeah that guys starting, but he is not my QB #1" Tomlin was an ASS on this one.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey I didn't say what I was going to shoot them with. Could be a Spit Ball, you never know. :)
    upload_2024-2-15_10-34-31.png

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    probably

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I keep seeing mock drafts with them taking Nix, which makes no sense. He isn't all that different from Pickett, so if you think that didn't work, it makes sense to try something else.