1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers need that QB/TE combo

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Would love to see whoever they start at QB have that connection with a go to TE.

Mahomes has Kelse, Lamar has his TE's, Purdy has Kittle and McCafree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I would just like to see a good quarterback.

But if I can be greedy, I would like to see harris look like Henry and have a good QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Well you need the QB first which I don’t believe we currently have. So what is the option you go with?

A KP and resign Mason as backup
    B KP and sign Tanehill as backup
    C Trade for Fields and him and KP compete in Camp
    D KP and draft a QB early

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    We have Friermuth (sp?). They just need to throw it to him more

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. You have to include him first in the scheme. I believe as I have read that Smith likes to use his tight ends.

The question is do they offer him a contract extension? I feel Muth is a solid player but has been ignored of late.

I don't believe it would be a back breaking contract. Maybe just add a few years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If they trade for Fields, that means they have given up on Pickett and Fields is going to start. Fields is going to cost way too much to trade for him if you aren't going to start him.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It seemed like last year we would go for a couple of games when not even looking at Friermuth. That I believe was because of our OC. Then he was hurt for a couple of games. Only thing Friermuth dose not have that the Kelce, Kittle and other great TE have is running after the catch. But he is the best we got and should be used more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He is actually pretty good after the catch when they give him the opportunity. What he can't do that Kelce and Kittle do is block.

9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not as good as them but your right forgot about the blocking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Of those choices I pick C. We know ABD aren't going to compete for a championship and C probably won't either but there is a chance it could click. The other choices can get the Steelers to 9-8 and battle for the 7th seed but that is the ceiling for Pickett, Tannehill or Rudolph. Fields might have a lower floor but he has a higher ceiling. It would be entertaining at least.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    A and if that isn't an ption then D. Then again I don't know the college QB's coming out next year.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Pat is good - I am not sure if he can be VERY GOOD. But agree that we need better QB'ing and plans to get him the ball!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The TE position should still qualify as the QB's best friend along with a good running game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Why we did well with Miller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes and a different OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelcityboyz

Steelcityboyz Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2023
    I could never figure out why PF wasn't used more then again I could never figure out Canada and his s*it play calling either. Freiermuth should def be more involved that would also help out KP as another target.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Muth is the only TE in NFL history to have over 60 receptions in his first two seasons, they pretty much ignored him on offense this season :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not exactly

They did not use him much in the beginning of the season

The last 8 games are right on par with his first two seasons with 29 catches equating to a season over 60 catches

19. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    the one full game Pickett played after Canada was canned - Muth had like 8 catches and over 100 yards. I think the first play of the game was over the middle to Muth for like 20 plus yards

20. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

For sure but hopefully somebody throwing a good ball and not leaving him hanging out to dry. Love pat but he's been fairly banged up already in his short career. Dude is very talented would LOVE to see it maximized.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That's what Mount Washington is for.

I actually love our tight ends right now.

I yearn for an upgrade on the offensive line. We need to get back to a bully physical mindset in the run game imo.

Hit Friermuth or Pickens deep on the play action.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Canada was afraid of throwing in the middle of the field. I guess he didn't trust Kenny throwing there, which of course is not a way you can run an offense.

We have 2 good tight ends for a safety net. I know if was any good at all at QB I'd be looking at those big dudes

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah the injuries suck but the man has talent. If i'm GM i'm offering a respectable extension. As pointed out, you need a good athletic TE in this league and they spend a second round on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When was the last time that a QB with a similar skill set as Fields which choice C has won a Super Bowl for any team ever?

Never is the answer. A “running QB” has never won a Super Bowl.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its not a position that needs to be addressed this year. Only other one is OLBer.

Hopefully they are thinking about an extension for Muth which I could see a 2 year extension.

I want to see Washington develop more into a receiving threat. He is like Wilt Chamberlin a height mismatch. Smith likes to use his tight ends so that's good news.

And Heyward supplies another receiving threat and is a tough kid.

• Like Like x 1