1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers cut Okorafor, Harvin, and Trubisky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Feb 12, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    In other words

Sucks Sucks Sucks

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Steelers making room for Jonah Williams? I think the Steelers go OT in the draft, but if they bring in Jonah that will not happen.

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Someone will take a shot. No way of knowing 100% if it was him or the OC.

4. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Spencer Anderson and Nate Herbig are our current backups. Hopefully soon Mason Cole will join that group.

5. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Cam will need to renegotiate to align with his mid-30s production levels, assuming he still wants to play. Not sure how that will impact the cap.

6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    With Harvin gone we really need to bring in the punt god Matt Araiza. The kid has no charges against him and the girl dropped the civil suit against him. He is this generations Ray Guy.

• Like Like x 5
  7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I literally cringed every time Harvin took the field. Someone out of the stands would have been better. I am THRILLED about this cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bring back Waitman at punter! He played only a couple of games, but was crushing the ball when he had the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I had high hopes for Trubisky and Harvin. Thought Trubisky would be a decent stop gap QB after Ben left. I was wrong. Thought Harvin would be a punter for Steelers for 10+ years. I was wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

dude - were you born in 2020?

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

hope is not a strategy. Trubs sucked - sucked, sucked, sucked. was an organizational wrecker in CHI. and Harvin was a failure by the end of Yr. 1

Tomlin stuck with him waaaaay too long.

another Tomlin bad trait.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    All good moves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    pretty obvious he was going to be cut, dead money sucks and I really did not look at his contract. Was there any date for bonus or other salary guarantee that made the cut more viable now than at the point they could have spread the dead money out over 2 years. 4.2 is not really that much compared to some others, just wondering.

14. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    good question, Vox Ferrum. Mitch had to be cut now because he was due to get a March roster bonus of a few million.
    I hear teams can only do two post-June cuts that spread the dead money out over 2 years. So my guess about Harvin is that the steelers wanted to save their two chances for higher dollar cuts and not waste one on Harvin's $20,000 spread over two years. Not sure about Chuks.

15. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I felt the same about both of them. I figured Trubisky had matured and gained a bit of confidence and would be a solid backup, capable of leading team to boring wins. He looks like a scared to throw it QB and unsure of when/where to throw it.

I though drafting Harvin was a get. Kid simply punted like a madman in college. Booming kicks, many inside the 20. For whatever reason, he lost all his consistency in the NFL. He lost his dad early on, maybe that affected him in ways unknown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    that makes a lot of sense. Their monetary commitment to Mitch was basically cleared, they were going to get hit any way they did it. I did not realize they only had 2 post June options. I know is some cases there have been ways to cut name a cut early and designate it as a post June cut, that likely frees up the player to start making contacts.

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    We know he sucks....I'm talking about what others will do. There is always someone who thinks they no better than everyone else.

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He was very good with us but he is already on the Bears roster currently.

19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    AHA
    That's who we're trading with Chicago for.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Shoot, I miss them already. Wonder if anyone will need a Punter that bad?

21. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I would love if the Chiefs got him for cheap and Mahomes misses some games. Pipe dream I know.

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Harvin stayed that long he could have been the NFL's first 300 pound punter;)

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree on the punter also. I too thought He would be good.
    You already knew what I thought about Trubisky the day we signed Him.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They might have gotten a pick for Chuks if they could afford to hold him until after the draft but they need the cap room before that so this cut makes sense. Nobody was trading for him before the draft.

No surprise on on Mitch or Harvin

Im surprised they didn’t cut Robinson and Peterson as well, let them test the market and come back on more reasonable deals if they wish.

Mason Cole is the other obvious cut but they’ll probably hold him until they know what they have after the draft.

After that it’ll be mostly reworking and restructuring with guys like Watt, Heyward, Minkah, Boz and others.

25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The Depot has us at 7.4 million over the cap still . Their numbers usually are among those being most accurate. They use the Top 51 rule where other sites don’t until late in the process.

Chuks was probably cut instead of being traded because if he was traded it would have occurred just before or after the draft, well past the time of roster bonuses and such becoming due….. which is in March . Same with Mitch …

Cajun