1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Fields is another Kordell. How many failed Bears QBs are we going to go after? I hoped Mike Tomczak would have been the last of those.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    They will continue to look for both. You can't play QB in the modern NFL without both.

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Kordell was not a failed Bears QB until after he failed in Pittsburgh.

That being said, Pittsburgh failed Kordell more than Kordell failing Pittsburgh. If he was drafted in 2015 instead of 1995 he would be an MVP candidate. The Steelers (nor most of the NFL) hadn't a clue how to use a QB like him and the way the offensive coaching staff was a revolving door he never really had a chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Exactly. Steve Young, Russell Wilson in his prime, Mahomes,..these are QBs who could run but didn't rely on it to move the ball. Their passing set up their QB runs while Lamar, Vick and others in that vein had to run in order to soften up the defenses for their mediocre passing games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the Steelers drafted Penix with Powers-Johnson, Mims and Dejean on the board there would be a total meltdown all throughout Western Pa.

6. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply Kordell was a failed Bear QB we picked up. What I meant is their games are similar. I don't think Kordell would have been successful in any era. He wasn't a good enough passing QB to beat teams with elite QBs in big games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Kenny, Tannehill, and maybe Joe Milton

8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Kordell had more arm talent and was a better runner than Lamar Jackson. Unlike Lamar, he had no one design an offense around his skillset, instead the Steelers tried to make him a pocket passer.

9. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes exactly! He could have been so much better if utilized right, even so, 2 AFC Championship games, 2 Pro Bowls (one as an alternate), AFC player of the year and runner up as NFL player of the year all as a QB. Out of all time Steelers QB's he is 3rd in yardage and TD's. No where near as bad as Yinzers mythically claim that he was.

He was an explosive player and game changer ahead of his time who was fun to watch. He gets a bad wrap due to the string of bad luck the team had from 98-to midway of 2000 (when we almost made the playoffs) due to 4 different offensive coordinators during those years, losing Thigpen after 97, Charles Johnson in 98, then being stuck with Courtney Hawkins as his #1 WR. He also lost multiple Olineman during that time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That would be one of the worst QB rooms in the NFL. That would make us long for the days of Kent Graham, Scotty Campbell and Jim Miller.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I've not been a big fan of running qbs since the slash days personally. Just hasnt worked out well for most of those type qbs so far. Not saying he isn't impressive at times but I'm more a fan of qbs that can scramble in a phone booth so to speak and make the right reads yet run for a couple if needed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There will also be an absolute meltdown in my room as I will be needing two total monitors as opposed to one; one to be smashed and the other will take flight! :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I'd actually give Jon Milton III from Tennessee a look. Not saying to draft him but I would imagine the Steelers will head out to Tennessee to do so. Milton is more raw than damn wagyu but his gifts are simply too big to ignore.

Granted though, I'd imagine the Steelers bigger (literally) target is not in this draft but the next one. Drew Allar from Penn State. He will be a name a lot of people will get used to in 2024.

14. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Look what Mahomes did to the 49ers once he started running. They had no idea what to do, really wasn’t fair, lol. The winning TD was “oh ****, is he running or passing” boom, easy TD.

Obviously Fields isn’t remotely on Mahomes level, just pointing out how devastating dual QB’s can be when you have one that can actually do both.

Fields is enormously talented and has been progressing every year. And for all the fumble talk, he has only lost 11 of them and this season only threw 9 picks.

Last season he had back to back games of 400 yards and 4 TD’s. Rudolph has only one game over 300 yards in his career and most TDs in a game are 2. Kenny clearly hasn’t approached those types of numbers either.

The chances of the Steelers pursuing him is very slim however. They’d be giving up draft capital plus have the 5th year option to deal with all in hopes he continues to develop. Doubt that happens. Tannehill much more likely as they aren’t ready to give up on Pickett yet.

16. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Why are so many fans wanting a qb who can read defences ,move in the pocket ,has a strong arm and stays calm when we had one sitting on the bench for over 3 yrs. Mason. yeah not much of a career but hard to wrack one up while riding the bench . made a lot of mistakes early on but do es anyone remember Bradshaws first year ,not comparing them will never be another Blonde Bomber ,just some perspective and honestly a washed-up Ben putting ego over team did not help plus a non-coaching make no adjustments H.C did not help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Bullcrap. Kordell couldn’t read defenses, and was inaccurate. Heck, even SF linebacker taunted him by pointing to his head after Kordell made a dumb play. Cowher got to the championship game with Kordell was surprising. Lamar has a much better arm than Kordell. If I remember correctly, Kordell rarely threw. for over 200 yards. Another failed experiment.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s because Mahomes is an amazing threat as a passer. Fields’ most favorable NFL comps are the two most overpaid, overrated QBs in the league: Lamar Jackson (Mr. Regular Season himself) and Dashaun Watson. No thanks!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Why is Lamar Jackson overrated? Coz he can't beat Mahomes? Is Payton Manning overrated coz he couldn't beat Brady or Ben in the playoffs?

This is just silly talk. There is Mahomes in a different Stratosphere, then there are about 5 Superstars of which Lamar is one. Then there are about 12 good or up and coming QBs, then the rest are bad or too new to know QBs

Our QBs are in the last category. Lamar is in the 2nd. He is not overrated. He is accurately rated.

On Watson perhaps you have a point. That said, Fields is better than what we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no he isn't. 10-28.

kfp is 14-10.

we can do better than both of these guys. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

different era, different game

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Steelers aren’t trading for fields

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Lamar is very good.

Ben could not beat Brady, does that mean he was overrated? Manning struggled some in the biggest games

they BOTH struggled w Brady

dumb arguments.

Lamar is very good. 2 MVP's good......

Fields is much better than what we have and many say he has great upside - I have not watched him much, but many say he is very talented

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    This is would be the worst possible mistake we could make. This would be 3 years wasted. Tomlin loves him, that would be enough for me to say no way because didn't he love Harvin, didn't he love Trib, etc. I agree with the earlier post, being able to read defenses and make decisions quickly needs to be prioritized being a great scrambler improviser. Tom Brady didn't run around he read d's and made the right decision, Marino, Peyton, etc. Build a great line and marry that with good receivers that run routes and know how to find empty spots in zones, etc and we will be fine. One part of me is like the Steelers became so enamored with Ben's ability to extend plays with street ball they forgot you have to have a great line. Now they seemingly want to find a Lamar type guy which is a huge mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Why, that makes no sense that you have to have both. Nothing has changed making it harder to pass, in fact the QB is more protected than ever so why do you need to run all over the place. Build a great line that protects the QB and have a QB that go through progressions quickly and marry that with receivers that are great route runners and understand how to sit in open spots in a zone for example. It's still football.

• Winner Winner x 1