1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ got screwed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Trai knows.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think TJ would have had to break the sack record to win this year. The DPOY and other awards are heavily narrative driven and there was influential sections of the media pulling for Garrett before a ball was snapped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This 100%.
    Once the media starts in about a certain player for a certain award....it takes an injury, or something wildly incredible to happen for them to even change their preordained vote.

4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The fact Garrett hasn’t won’t it before is also a factor I haven’t heard mentioned much. If Garrett had won this award last year I doubt he’d have reached ten votes this year.

I don’t agree the awards are ‘rigged’ or whatever but a lot of the voters probably don’t watch a lot of film and are going off popular opinion despite trying to pass themselves off as experts. PFF in particular have a phenomenal marketing department and seem to be driving a lot of the narrative. There are a few current and ex players pushing back but $$ talks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not helping Hines Ward, and he's a Super Bowl MVP :shrug:.

6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This is pretty much the camp I'm in as well. Hopefully the pushback leads to some change some day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It does seem like the vote for Garrett was predetermined way too early, all the hype about him being the best defensive player during the season, and the Browns having the best defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    When you see the stats laid bare, it is mind boggling. TJ was first in every single category. Somehow Myles Garrett got jumped from third place to 1st place, pushing the other two guys back a step.

Myles beat Micah by 3 forced fumbles, 1 pass deflection.

Micah beat Myles by 22 tackles, 3 solo tackles, 6 pressures, 1 tackle for loss.

TJ beat them both in every category (except forced fumbles where he tied Myles). He had more TDs, pass deflections, interceptions, and fumble recoveries than both Myles and Micah combined.

The only thing the DPOY is really good for is bragging rights. It won't make our team better. It won't get us a draft pick or more cap space. Most of the time I would not give a rat's arse about it.......but when one guy is so far ahead of everyone else, it is mind boggling when he does not win. What more did he have to do to win it? He put up an exceptionally dominant season in his defensive stats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

If the votes are “rigged”, they must be rigged in favor of white guys named Watt from Wisconsin, they,ve only won it 4 times in 12 yrs.

10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You have to remember PFF is based out someone’s mom’s basement in Cincinnati. The NFL established the stats to evaluate players in their league. TJ won every stat, there is nothing else that needs to be said.

11. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't think that they are rigged, too many different people doing the voting.......depending on how the votes are tallied. As Joseph Stalin said: I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how; but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how.

So while I don't believe the voting is rigged, I do think that some people pick the winner in their mind early on. Maybe they follow the Browns and not the Steelers, so they see all of Garrett's plays, but little of Watt's. In a case like that, it requires something big to get them off of their preconceived opinion. If nothing big happens (like he gets injured mid season, he pulls a bunch of penalties....etc), they go with their gut. Based on the press coverage during the season, I do think that this happened. Garrett was being talked about as DPOY for a huge part of the season. When it wasn't him, it was Parsons. Watt really did not get much press outside of the Steelers centric news......that is what it seemed to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is what I am thinking. Myles fell off a cliff for the last 7 games of the season only getting 1 sack in those 7 games. I think the votes were already in before the season ended. Even Peter King was saying he was voting for Myles Garrett ahead of TJ Watt back in December before the season even ended.

So, I agree, I think the race was over before the season ended. I have no idea when the votes are submitted to the AP. With the extra game week, they may be counting votes with 2 or 4 games left to play.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Maybe he should have won COTY too with that one play call he made that saved a game.

16. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

And yet TJ never winning the award before didn't stop them from giving another one to Aaron Donald even though TJ clearly had the better season in 2020.

That's what makes it so horrible.

They robbed Watt in 2020 to make sure Aaron Donald got his THIRD award.

Then Watt had to tie the all-time sack record in only 15 games to win the award the next season. He should have had the all-time record by himself but got screwed over because they ruled a sack as a non-sack that cost him that record.

He then gets screwed this season after having what was clearly the best season by a defensive player.

The man should have THREE DPOY trophies and be in consideration for being one of the best defensive players ever, but the NFL and media doesn't seem to want that to happen.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes there does seem to be an odd reluctance among the media to give TJ due credit for what is an absolutely amazing, record breaking career.

When all is said and done he has led the league in sacks three times and I wouldn’t bet against him doing it at least once more. He will go down as an all time great anyway, but yes he should have at least one more DPOY, if not two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Rigged, Garrett's not in TJ's league but NFL gone woke.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Idiotic post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Then everyone that plays is the best at their position lmao

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm actually glad he didn't get it. Keeps the football pads on instead of the desire to hang it up and focus on the golf game.

Keep TJ angry it's fun to watch

22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I dunno, I feel like I knew MG would get the DPOY very early in the season. Just kind of knew all along. Just wrong.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I think TJ is the only player to ever lead the league in sacks three times, yet he only has one DPOY to show for it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Attached Files:

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Here we go again. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1