1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Terrible Towel is back in its cryochamber, and here is what I hope happens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 21, 2024.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm actually not too worried about the offense. We have two good running backs, a couple of good receivers, a good tight end, and I think one or both of our quarterbacks will be OK in a new system. What we need is that new system, a good center, and a new offensive line scheme. A good offensive line makes everyone better (QBs have more time, running backs have better holes to run through), so building a strong O-line and scheme should be priority #1.

I am much more worried about the defense, and the problem is TJ Watt. Our whole defense, in fact our whole approach to the game, seems but around him causing havoc with QBs, which he does at a an incredible level. However, when he doesn't get to the QB as even a pressure, or is on the sidelines catching his breath, or out due to injury, or the opponent has a solid run game, our defense is WAY too porous, and our offensive conservative approach falls apart. The half-dozen splash plays because of Watt per game he is in there doesn't make up for the rest of the defensive weaknesses - too slow, out of position, confused, poor communication, and unable to tackle, especially in the middle of the field. Way too many wide open receivers if Watt isn't causing damage. A major upgrade in scheme and talent is needed.

I know, I know, we were decimated with injuries and often still held team under 20 points, but it is the overall philosophy relying on Watt that I think is an issue. Sure he can be a game wrecker, but when he is not, we need a solid plan B.

Have a great off-season (if there is such a thing anymore).

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The hell you mean off season. We still have some Steelers in an important Flag Football game;) Just goofing with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Sad, but true. They stink without TJ

4. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    Agree the defense is not nearly as good without Watt. I think he was also suggesting there might be a scheme issue and sloppy play, both of which need tightened up.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    1-10 without him at to add on. I don't understand how this defense with 10 other players and a guy to replace Watt if injured or needs a break that fold like a cheap suit.

And some want to trade him away. The best defensive player in the league. Rather see Heyward released or traded. Not that it would happen.

Heyward was saying the groin injury might have to have him rethink some things. Then he says he is coming back. Then he said he is NOT taking a Pay Cut. 22,406 mill cap hit for 2024.

They need to draft another Benton type, In the 1st 2 rounds. They need to get younger with another stud like Benton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Some people on here were actually saying that Herbig and Golden would step up big, and TJ's absence wouldn't be as big of a factor in the Bills game as you think it would. I had a good laugh at that one :lolol:

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, I thought Herbig would get more snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    When we aren’t doing well, then I feel like people revert to feeling like we need a fire sale.

I wouldn’t trade Watt - he has been a monster. That is someone you build around.

Despite Heyward’s age, I am fine with him staying. If you remove his injury year from this season, he has had back-to-back career years prior to this year. I do think he needs an extension and/or a contract rework to manage that number.

Edit - Exhibit A is some saying Minkah was overpaid and should be gone. He was an All-Pro for 3 of the last 5 years.

9. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    This all goes back to coaching. TJ is good but not a one man TEAM. We know we have a lot of issues. So season is over let’s revamp our coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

there is talent on that D, provided they stay healthy. CB's need major help. they must find the next Cam and that is NO EASY TASK. ILB platoon was OK until they tore ligaments and tendons. Minkah will be fine with 5 months off.

Highsmith is good if there are other players contributing. and our backup OLB's are very talented.

Tomlin needs to LET GO of the reigns as the D coach

IF he does not, it will be same rely on TJ mess, just like Tomlin put it all on BEN his last 5 years.

11. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Problem is Tomlin. It’s a very vanilla zone defense which good cerebral qb’s can shred. The only saving grace was pressure on qb that TJ provides. Without that pressure, it’s a bottom 3 defense.

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This team has lots of holes. ILB, DE, CB, SS, QB, C & RT. Can't fix that in a year, but Steelers can improve through free agency, if cap space will allow.

13. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I threw my steelers gnome in the pool, wife made me fish him out after a couple days.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I never completely understood the hiring of Teryl Austin.
    He was on Defensive Staffs for Seahawks, Cardinals and Baltimore (a stint in Florid sandwiched in there) before he got hired in Detroit for that 2014 season.
    He was taking over Jim Schwartz and Gunther Cunninghams Defense for new coach Jim Caldwell.
    It wasn't a terrible defense to inherit. In fact, they even retained Gunther Cunningham.
    Caldwell being an offensive mind, did help the Lions offense that year and improved their record to 11-5 and a playoff spot.

It was then Teryl started bouncing around as a potential Head coach and did quite a few interviews.
    The Defense kind of went downhill after 2014... with Austin thinking he was a legit Head Coach.
    Caldwell got fired and Austin even interviewed for his spot.

Austin wound up with the Bengals and immediately set some lows, leading a defense that allowed those unforgettable 500+ yds per game records.
    He was immediately fired.

Then he finds a home on our staff.

As a GM, I think I am taking a hard look at this position. Austin basically had 1 good season with a decent defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I was watching the playoff games this weekend and something that really stood out to me was.......both Baltimore's and Kansas City's centers are pro bowlers!!! And who might they be.......Creed Humphrey on KC and Tyler Linderbaum for the ratturds. Both of these guys were available to us in the draft and we passed them over. We need a pro bowl center and we need one fast!!!

16. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    we really need a competent center who can get the ball to the QB ---not the DIRT---

17. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    MISPOKE about TJ when i said trade him We cannot do that or we will never win a game again So i hope he plays a long time for us so we can actually win games and<YES> TJ is the whole team

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    stop with this crap. We played man to man the 9th most in the league. That came down a bit towards the end due to injury, but holy crap

19. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    It was a combination. Porter was almost always in man to man with their best receiver. Linebackers were zone. In playoffs in previous years when we didn’t have a good cornerback, it was almost always zone. Receiver was almost always open on 3rd and long after finding a soft spot in the zone. I bet we have ranked in the bottom half in the league in giving up third and long if we are to total that up for last 10 years

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is also a myth. On 3rd down conversions the Steelers have been middle of the pack to good for the last few years.

On third and long, here’s a good read:
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...e-teryl-austin-mike-tomlin-tj-watt-minkah-nfl

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice back track

Still wrong

22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    we're over the cap right now though

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Then we are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1