1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

STD is right: It's not Tomlin, but Rooney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by OB1, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Super bowl win, non-losing seasons, length of head coach time. You don't always have to be Tom Brady to get in. If you play long enough, you're going to amass enough attention, stats, or sympathy votes to get you in. So Tomlin will make it without a doubt.

He has a good record, a super bowl is under his belt, he's never had a losing season, and he's even made the playoffs a lot of times. I'm not saying he has excelled by any means, but there's a lot of coaches that are far worse than him. At a 56 super bowls, there are 35 head coaches with a ring. He only has one super bowl ring, but just that is an impressive accomplishment even if it was Coach Cowler's team.

Look at belicheck. You can say a similar thing about him. What did he do to get into the super bowl. He has a lot of super bowl rings, but did he get them or did Tom Brady? Because after Tom Brady left belicheck faded into obscurity. Makes me think that all the credit for those things goes to Tom Brady and not belicheck. But is there any doubt in your mind that he will get into the Hall of Fame when he's eligible?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    True about hindsight, but it really comes down to which of those 2 guys between Muth and Humphrey do you think would've given you more wins. I'd say in theory, it would've been Humphrey. I don't think drafting a tight end in the 2nd round was a high priority, especially considering how little they throw to them. Having said that, I don't think drafting Muth instead was a bad pick by any means, they could've done a lot worse at TE, but good centers are harder to come by IMO. Not drafting Humphrey has really set them back big time, and has had a ripple effect. They ended up drafting Green in the 3rd round who turned out to be a bust at center, which lead to the unfortunate signing of Cole. Now they'll have to draft a center in one of the early rounds in 2024 at the expense of other positional needs. However, as you have already alluded to, hindsight is always 20/20

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    3 in 13. Spin that one smart ass

Oh I already know it’s anyone and everything’s fault except the HC who is literally the only constant.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  4. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Well the Hall just became more meaningless I suppose if he gets in. Guy won early with an inherited great team. Since that same team retired :puking 3:

5. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Or very average

6. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Have to agree. It seems like all it takes for a HC these days to get into the HOF is to win 1 SB, but I don't think that in itself should lock you in. If you look at the broader picture, I don't think Tomlin is a HOF coach. He was incredibly lucky to inherit a team loaded with talent, and he still almost blew it against the much less talented Cardinals. They won in spite of him, not because of him. Besides his overrated "non" losing streak, he's done very little in the last 13 years. He's still young enough to right the ship, but I really question if he has the capability to do so

7. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    He won’t be righting any ship

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    I can agree with most of the criticism here but I think Mason has been mismanaged. If they actually knew that Mason is as capable as he showed the last 4 games, they don’t even draft Kenny in the first round.

They basically gave up on him after that 1 start against the Lions

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I think too much weight is put on any one element of the teams success or failure (coaches, front office, ownership). I think it is often a combination of all three, and ownership / front office have to be part of the discussion as well. I am not excusing Tomlin, as he definitely has blame in all of this.

The “inherited team” argument used against Tomlin is something I don’t agree with though. This argument assumes that Cowher was the one to make all of the decisions of the draft, which isn’t the case.

The front office and ownership both played a role in drafting Cowher’s teams. There are examples where the draft day decisions went a different direction than Cowher’s preference (Troy Edwards being a famous one, where they actually should have listened to him).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The thinking could also go back to Heath. While Macdonald was a decent TE, they really did not have anyone that filled that role since he retired. Again not disputing anything you say about Creed, I look at the recent TE's that have come out in the last few years and indeed a player like Creed is harder to find than TE. Also brings to mind that there was at least one, possibly two centers still available who likely would have been as high or higher on most boards than the guy we took in the 3rd that year. The draft is always a gamble, but when you miss it really hurts, lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Blah blah blah

blah blah blah

Blah blah blah

blah blah blah

same dumb **** every day with you. Being that “Tomlin has ruined your life” and it’s abundantly clear he’s not going anywhere you should probably do yourself a favor and jump off the bandwagon. It makes zero sense for you to continue down the same path. Why would you continue doing something that you can’t change and only makes you miserable?

• Like Like x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Lamar winning it all STD will not be pleased

14. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    That game was very bad weather if I remember correctly. He did have other games the year Garrett clobbered him though.

15. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Maybe because I’m from Pittsburgh and that’s my team? Doesn’t mean I’m going to be happy about the franchise the way things are going like some of you schmucks

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Not just STD, seems like a fair number of the other more vocal regulars have been laying low too. Understandable considering the factor that the season is over, not to mention the unfortunate way it ended, plus there's not much really happening right now anyway. Things will pick up a bit once they name the new OC, and especially around draft time

17. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    The only way Tomlin would not get in the HoF is if the voting was done solely by members of this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That’s ridiculous. If it makes you miserable and as you said “ruined your life” then you change what you can change.The Steelers are clearly quite happy with their chosen head coach. That isn’t going to change no matter how much you ***** and moan. The only logical and intelligent thing for you to do is move on. You don’t stay with your boyfriend when he makes you miserable. No point in sticking with a team because of geography. Find a team that’s run the way you believe it should be run and be happy for a change.

19. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Boyfriend? You a broad?

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You’ve documented your affinity for male genitalia repeatedly for the last few years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Trust me I’m not the one hanging off Mikey T. You are the numero uno there my man. When you are whispering sweet nothings into his ear try giving him a better game plan.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I acknowledge he’s a great coach. You are the one constantly posting about hanging off,ball washing etc. but thank you for illustrating my point. It’s always on your mind and you can’t refute it. Don’t worry man. Nobody is judging you. It doesn’t make you a bad person. Go be happy. Wave your rainbow flag and be proud of who you are.

/edit

I’m sorry I was wrong. I can all but guaranteed there are few here that would judge you, but don’t let them get to you. They’re shallow, myopic lost souls. Please accept my apology on their behalf.

23. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Great coach 0 playoff wins in the last 7 years and 3 in 13. Phenomenal coach.

I actually identify as a cat and need you to change my litter box.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Sorry you’ll have to take care of that. I guess you’re one of those Furries. How did you choose your Furry persona?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    They were probably hoping Muth would be another Heath, but it just hasn't worked out that way. Nothing against Muth, I think he's been a pretty solid receiver (when healthy), that's when and if they actually throw to him

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1