1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Simpleton offensive plan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by OB1, Jan 16, 2024.

1. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Lets forget the individual play calls for a minute and focus on the offensive plan. The plan itself was waaaaaaaay too simplistic and decided on by simpletons.

Steelers came into the game with the plan of running 22 up the gut no matter what without any thought of keeping the Bills D off balance. The Bills came into the game with the simple plan of stopping 22 running up the gut no matter what without any worry of Steelers doing anything different.

Remember in 2005 when everyone and their dog thought Steelers would run 36 up the gut against Indy, and the first play was a pass to Heath for a long gain? Steelers passed for 70+ yards on the first drive for a TD. That kept Indy's defense totally confused and Steelers build a big lead.

in 2023, it's simpleton city for the Steelers.

Saddest part is that Rudolph best attribute is the deep pass, and Pickens can catch deep. The very very first play should have been a PA bomb to someone, or TE deep over the middle.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Buffalo did not load up the box. Our linemen just were getting owned. I do agree though that after several failed first and second down runs, they should have started throwing earlier in the drive sooner than they did.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I blame the QB for that. The QB needs to check out of the run and throw. But, that's the sht that happens when you have Kenny run the team for two years and he goes down, and also you constantly want to micromanage the QB because as a coach you feel like you are the big shot and QBs are idiots.

4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I saw a post earlier where HARRIS said Buff6 had brought a safety down to help with the run. Most the gsme.. and the Steelers chose to run anyway

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    The play calling, coaches hired, and stubbornness has always been my biggest issues with Tomlin.

If Tomlin does come back, I sincerely hope he is made to hire a competent OC and let that individual have the keys to the offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Posted about this in the Goodbye Tomlin thread. Harris pointed out how Buffalo runs two high but brought one down to play the run and Steelers continued with the game plan anyway.

Tomlins MO, gonna do what we gonna do.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m going to watch the All 22 when I have time because I want to see if the Bills were doing what I think they were doing on run downs. There’s no doubt that the Bills played up for the run on run downs, and we plowed right into it anyway. What I want to watch from the wider angle is the back end. The Bills tend to focus on preventing the big play on the back end. What this means is that the area over the LBs and in front of the DBs should have been open for effectively designed and executed play action.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The OP is true.
    It was obvious:
    -Bad Weather + Steelers Power Run game = Keep the game close by keeping the Bills offense off the field.
    It would have been nice to line up Pickens, DJ and Austin and air one out first play.
    Something to get the Bills guessing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Tomlin went back to his conservative run on first down and then throw a quick pass to the outside on 3rd down to pickup the 1st down.

Gone was the aggressive play calling that Mason was allowed to run in the 1st 2 games he played. (Baltimore was a wash because of the Extreme weather) Those first games seemed like Tomlin just let them throw the ball deep because the Steelers were not making the playoffs anyway, so let Mason Air-It Out for fun, nothing to lose.

Funny, I don't remember a single deep shot at all in this game? Only Tomlin knows why he went back to Matt Canada's game plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why can't they call a Pass Play on 1st down, like they did against the Bengals and Seahawks?

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There was no scheme to it, the Bills front 4 on the DL was basically owning our 5.

Our line is weak sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Got to the playoffs and started playing with scared money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I didn't want to write too much on the first post, but I fully agree that the passes were also simpleton out patterns, and Buffalo just sat on them.

Rudolph sailed a few early passes on out patterns because Bills were sitting on them. The INT was a simpleton out pattern and the DB was sitting on it.

Bill came in with "if 22 is in game, load box. If 22 is not in game or empty set, protect out patterns". That pretty much was their game plan and 100% aligned with what Steelers did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    That's what people said in 2005 about Freeney and the other colts DL owning Steelers OL so Steelers should just hand off to the Bus...

It is the job of coaches to TRY to scheme around weakness, and then see if it works or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Whiz was literally a wizard during that entire postseason run. even with Ben's flat super bowl performance, he still was innovative enough to adjust and get the necessary big plays out of the offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    Najee only had 12 rush attempts. Jaylen had 8.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of the simpleton whining though.

17. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    LOL. Did you watch the game and see how Steelers ended up down by so much or just look at "facts"?

18. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    Yes, I saw 2 turnovers be the biggest factor in The 0-21 start. Not the game plan to try and establish the run early.

This is what many here do though. Spin every loss to a justification for their hatred of Tomlin.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    That's the exact simpleton conclusion that I'm talking about. Tomlin said the exact same thing at halftime.

"Lets establish the run until we're down by 21" is just a simpleton approach.

20. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Almost makes you wonder if Canada was calling the plays again from his basement

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Interestingly enough the Bus talks about that when Cowher finally took the chains off the offense and Whis could call what he wanted!

• Like Like x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it was the typical dumb Steelers offense that I warned about last week - RUN RUN PASS. The Bills were HELL BENT on stopping the run.......andddddd they did.

We should have been throwing a lot on first down

more dumbing down of the offense, a Steelers tradition

there was NO WAY they were going to get Najee get heated up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

your point?

24. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    That mentality of we will impose our will. You can tell we were not winning the battles early and the CBS guys talked about it pre-game recognizing when to make adjustments. I felt we played scared in our play calling in the first half. That all changed likely for the worse with Pickens fumble and going down 14. The fear the game would get out of reach if we turned it over again so chains on the throwing game. With the apparent run game with Najee not going to do it we needed to shift immediately to the pass to set up the run and we waited too long.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    There was nothing wrong with the approach. It was the obvious common sense approach that I heard every Steeler fan support before the game.

They didn’t fall behind trying to establish the run. They fell behind because of turnovers. George’s fumble led directly to Buff points and Mason’s int took points off of the Steelers board. Those 2 turnovers and giving up a 50 yard run to Allen on a 3rd and 8-9 is how they got down 21.
    That you have no point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1