1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin could walk away from the Steelers and take some time off

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Dan Rooney was as well, they kept Cowher all those years with no SB wins......they kept Noll until he retired.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    https://www.steelcityunderground.co...ting-mike-tomlin-inherited-bill-cowhers-team/

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If Tomlin really is thinking about taking time off, I hope he does it as soon as our season is over. Vrable and Carroll are still out there unless I missed something and one of them might want the job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL comes from the guy that used his influence to hire Randy Fichtner. I think there is more evidence than not over the years that Tomlin does not have 100% say over his staff. Just start with the number of coaches he was told to keep after Cowher left.

The Rooney's have always had a hand in players and coaches more than the coach. Hell, they even told Cowher to stay in his lane when he suggested they increase a contract offer to a player.

https://www.steelernation.com/steelers-dan-rooney-once-told-bill-cowher

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Diff Rooney then,

8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think he put that up after the loss to the Pats. Everyone was p!ssed. I wanted him gone right then. Mostly frustration with me. I was very happy at the way Mason and the team responded. We can play the "what if?" game in perpetuity but we can never be sure how things would have shaken out had he gone to Mason after Trubisky was ineffective in the first half of the Cards game.

9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No one knows for sure. What we do know is that Kevin Colbert was hired after Cowher initiated a power play that led to Tom Donohoe being ousted. I think it's safe to imply that Cowher had plenty of sway with who his coordinators and assistants were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, in that bizzaro alternate universe where the message board’s STD likes running QBs, the HC doesn’t pick his staff.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Let me get this straight, you believe “reportedly” as fact but coming straight from a player is laughable :facepalm:

And the argument isn’t that Tomlin has final say over the owner of the team, thats stupid, the argument is coaches build their own staff. FFS this is common knowledge.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Vrabel maybe. Carroll no!

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    What I believe is that we don’t know how the Steelers truly run things as they choose not to share, which is their business. We do know they are different than other organizations in regards to staffing and players. Tomlin retained coaches when hired which is not normal. The Steelers, until this year, do not fire coaches mid-season…this predates Tomlin by 82 years. The Steelers promote from within often, also predates Tomlin. The Steelers love to hire local, also predates Tomlin.

In the end, none of us will know the truth…however, the Steelers loyalty to staff and players and consistency of the types of guys they hire existed long before Tomlin.

oh and no, I think Ben has been a very consistent liar and exaggerator his entire career. No need to start believing him now.

14. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I believe the cowboys might jettison their HC Macarthy. He is equivalent to most of the other head coach options available. However, I believe he will be chosen because he beats out ALL the other candidates in one critical category. He sucks at time management and that is a well honored tradition among Steeler head coaches. (This post is intended to bring some levity and humor to the board)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You just described every organization, owners can obviously step in whenever they want, that isnt unique to the Steelers but in general all coaches build their own staff but believe what you want.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Where do you get your information
    Oh the Steelers like a hometowner, Mike was born and raised in Greenfield section of PGH

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We were all frustrated. Still, that was an overwhelming response. Even the most rational posters were united.

I will play the what If game. I think Rudolph has proven himself over the last few weeks. I will admit that injuries, suspensions, during that stretch were huge contributing factors. But Mitch was absolutely awful. I am convinced that with even semi competent QB play we win one of those games. Honestly, we very well could have won them all.

The thing about Tomlin is this. The things he does well always keeps the Steelers in contention. The things he does poorly keeps the Steelers from being anything more than that. He's stubborn. He waits to long to make nessasary changes. That is one of his biggest bugaboos.

I'm going to stop there. All I know is, today, I am the biggest Mike Tomlin supporter out there. Tomlin has a way of having his teams ready for big moments. If his reign is truly coming to an end. No ****ing way that is happening today.

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Mccarthy blows

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Uh…not to rain on the Tomlin parade, but have you seen the last three playoff games that the Steelers have played in which they gave up over 40 points in each? They didn’t look at all ready in any of those games. Hoping today is different.

20. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting how the article states that Tomlin was “comfortable” with Canada from just down the hall. I’ve referred to most of Tomlin’s hires as “comfort” hires. But it’s time that the Steelers got out of their comfort zone and hired an OC and offensive assistants (QB coach, etc.) who can take the offense to the next level. Todd Haley wasn’t comfortable for Tomlin, but the offense had its most success during Tomlin’s tenure while Haley was the OC.

And while we’re at it, if Tomlin remains HC, he needs to get out of his comfort zone with regard to player personnel decisions at times too. I think if this season has shown us anything it’s that the best guy to play QB this season was buried on the depth chart until the season was virtually over. And then that guy pulled a rabbit out of the hat and saved the season! The national sports media can ring on and on about how Tomlin deserves to be coach of the year and how remarkable his non-losing seasons streak is, and I’m not saying he deserves no credit, but it’s Mason Rudolph who saved the season for the Steelers and he is the biggest reason we’re playing in Buffalo today.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok you two made me think so I’ll forgive you for that some day

1) Tomlin said he was going to talk to his family and make a decision he has certainly talked to Mr Rooney

2) Tomlin quickly dismissed his contract not being extended last off season

3) Tomlin has a contract for next season and I don’t see him making a decision in March for example and leave the team hanging he has too much class to do that

4) When Canada was fired they announced Faulkner and Sullivan as co-offensive coordinators and that is no longer the case now Faulkner is only listed as OC

Therefore my a=b=c comes up to Tomlin will coach in 2024 soon they will either announce an he is going year to year or an extension or he is stepping down after 2024

If Tomlin does not take an extension Faulkner will get a 1 year contract as OC

If Tomlin does get an extension then I think they will start the OC interviews

Then all the ducks will be in a row

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If he loses today marking his 7th consecutive season without a postseason win, he needs to walk away. There are already two HCs that have been fired this season with way better performance than him over the same stretch and possibly more fires coming. Why in the hell does Tomlin get a pass from the owners and the media with his sh!tty postseason disappearing act he does every season?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They better get out of their comfort zone. I call it laziness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well lets hope that Art II pushes for a decision more then just sitting there and waiting. If he decides to walk away the sooner the better so a search can start. I'm sure with the news of his wanting to discuss this with his family the front office best be looking hard at a successor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I am really not advocating for Mcarthy. I simply tried to make a joke that his lack of time management skills gave him a hiring edge over other candidates. I don't want Mcarthy either.