1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Earbuds/IEMs (and Headphones)

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Thor, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm curious to know what some of the audiophiles and general music enthusiasts here are currently using and would recommend. In general I've always been more of an earbud guy because of their utility while working out, compact travel size, and even ease to fall asleep wearing. I've owned pairs from a number of manufacturers - Sony, Bose, Klipsch, Creative, Beats, Dunu, Sennheiser, etc.

The jump I've yet to make is to the wireless buds. Some years ago I got a pair of Beats wireless for free when I updated my Macbook Pro, but didn't care for them too much. One of the annoying things i noticed straight away was the latency when watching video; it was a good 0.25 to 0.5 seconds behind. The design was awkward too, and I just stuck with wired sets.

Fast forward and now one is much harder pressed to find wired options, as most have put their efforts behind the surge in wireless options. Of course, the options are lighter and better-fitting now, and I assume the issues with things like latency have gotten better. I'm also intrigued to see their enhancements/compatibility with phone calls (I always had a pair of wired w/mic if for nothing else than to use with longer calls). But also wonder about things like battery life and overall sound quality/signature (i.e., with music), etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Me currently?!

Sennheiser HD 560s. If I really need to get into a good mood for Music Listening though?! The Audeze LCD GX has me covered. Gaming Headphones (the most expensive ever)?... yes. However, these beasts are not just for gaming; excel at a whole lot of uses.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The best I've ever had were Sennheiser. But as of right now, I mostly listen with Air Pod pros and Apple Music (lossless) on my phone.

In my car, I use Apple Music with CarPlay, and i have the JBL premium system, which sounds pretty great. I mention that because of how much the JBLs sound in my car, we got my son JBL headphones (on sale for $150 from $300), and I've listened with those and they sound incredible.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Klipsch....I don't know about headphones, but I played, and lived with a band....way back when called Kutt Diamond, and the drummer was a sound engineer for Klipsch, and He designed, and built our whole PA system. It was awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Damn it!! Forgot some other brands!!

Hifiman's are stellar for music listening; namely the Ananda, Arya and Arya Stealth. Meze is another. Cannot go wrong with AKG though the K712 Pro is probably where you'll stop at. The 812s from what I've heard are not very good despite their price tag.

6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    JBL is underrated. I've never owned headphones of theirs, but have listened to their car audio speakers. Nice clean sound with a touch of warmth to the profile.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Klipsch for a long time was my go-to. Still use a wired pair of XR8is to this day. Some clean sound purists don't like that they're generally tuned to be a bit bassy, but I don't think it's anything distracting - i.e., they don't muddle the highs and upper mids too much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same. I've only heard their car set ups, and I really liked them

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I use Apple wireless earbuds. They’re Ok, but not great for sound quality. I get much better sound from the factory Bang & Olufsen system in my Audi. The best headphones I’ve owned were all Sennheisers, but I no longer own bigger, closed ear headphones. I don’t know if they even make earbud style headphones.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    They do. I have a pair of wired Sennheiser earbuds and they're the best earbuds I've ever owned. My wireless Apple Airpod Pros sound pretty good, but not as good as those Sennheisers do.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    I like the over the ear headphones. I have a pair of Beats Studios. I've liked them I haven't loved them. Well, they died three days ago and I'm looking to get a new pair. Not sure what I want to get.

• Like Like x 1