1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason F Rudolph

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I really think the Steelers should’ve let Kenny sit a season or 2. Its hard to learn being baptized by fire. Let the game slow down for him, let him learn to read opposing defenses. Not many qbs can make that jump right off the bat in NFL.
    Right now he was playing scared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He didn’t dog it. Do you really think DJ wouldn’t have loved to try and score a long TD there. Something happened on that play. Maybe he’ll be asked about it. He probably lost the ball or maybe felt his hammy tighten up. Something happened.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Mason starts next year and if say he has a good season and even leads us to the playoffs, the posts will be well lets see if he can do it over 2 or more seasons. LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I was pulling for Trubisky to replace Pickett early in the season because Pickett was putting up historically bad numbers. I was wrong about that after watching his starts. I was never huge on Rudolph, but these last three games changed my mind completely. The team actually performs and executes with him playing. The look above average and explosive at times. That was never apparent under Pickett or Trubisky. This seems pretty straight forward to me. Mason is the QB for this team for this moment. He makes some throws that I don't see Pickett or Trubisky making. He seems confident. Poised. In command of the offense and his teammates are responding. They were throwing tantrums with Pickett and Tubisky because they both were really bad.

They just won three must win games and are potentially going to the playoffs. To me, that is clutch. These weren't 4th quarter comebacks. They played well, and it was led by Mason. If they sneak into the playoffs and play well against KC or beat them, you HAVE to try to bring him back to be the QB next year, right? This seems pretty straight forward to me. See if there is trade value for Pickett and deal him for a fresh start somewhere else. Bring in a veteran backup that has starting experience and roll with Mason and that QB as 1-2 and you have a better lineup than what we had this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Im not sure what happened to him between the end of last year and this season but it’s obvious that his confidence has taken a hit. He’s very skittish in the pocket and has trouble reading defenses and going through his progressions. One thing’s for sure, as much as he ended last year on a high note he’ll be ending this season on a very disappointing note with his future far from being secured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    That spinning and turning his back on defense is really something i have not quite seen, maybe once or twice, but he constantly does this. He is going to get hurt. Plus the constant roll out to the left, DC are definitely taking note of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He does it when he doesn’t have to. Not sure why…maybe it looks cool on film, lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m certain he is seeing ghosts. I believe he is afraid of getting another concussion. I tend to believe the second play of the 49ers game where he got his head bounced off the turf resulted in one or rattled him at the very least.

Whatever the reason, he has to trust to stay in the pocket longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Like i said he is going to get hurt big time. Remember how Earl Campbell liked to spin and i think it was Donnie Shell that crushed him?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Bad thing is, you cant play scared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Scared money don’t make money. Neither do scared quarterbacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Fair enough. For whatever reason, he seemed to slow down when he should have gone full tilt.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    So Pickett hasn't played in 6 weeks. He is better than Rudolph...this is only going to make him better next season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Some more Mason factoids for you…

In the last three games that Mason has played, he has a QBR of at least 112.2 in ALL THREE.

In Kenny’s 24 starts with the Steelers, he’s NEVER had a QBR of 112.2.

In Mitch’s starts with the Steelers, he’s had ZERO games with a QBR of 112.2.

In Ben’s last 25 games, he had ONE game with at QBR of at least 112.2.

Pretty impressive I’d say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Mrs. Pickett, your son seems like a fine young man and I’m rooting for him to get his career on track. I think there’s still hope for him. But there is currently no evidence to suggest that he’s a better quarterback than Mason. :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  16. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    If Pickett wasn't historically bad when he was playing, then this wouldn't be a question. However the reality is that he is not currently the quality of player that the team needs to play QB. Rudolph is and that is translating into results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is my thought. If you want Rudolph on the team next year, you better be willing to money up #1 money.

Even if we don't make the playoffs. Someone will pay him. I see him as good as gone.

They'll bring Dobbs back :smiley1:

18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Speaking on Ben, did you know he has the most perfect 158 qbr games at 4? This is of all NFL

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Why do you keep insisting he is better than Rudolph? The way Rudolph is playing now I don't see it . He is not better . Someday? Who knows. That day is not today.

20. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    man small hands and todays weather...wonder what would have happened. :)

21. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Mason has a job next year and it will be for a decent pay bump. He is a minimum pay guy now. His performance is pretty damned good over there last three games. If the Steelers won't pay him, the are a lot of other teams that will. I could see him getting 2.5 to 4 million a year on a 3 year deal or something like that. A lot of teams need some depth at QB.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Steelers just signed Trubisky to a 3 year deal worth up to $33 million.

LOL... And you think Mason will sign for $2.5 to $4.0 million per year?

I would think Mason is going to get the same Incentive based contract that Mitch got from the Steelers.

Steelers give Mitch Trubisky a 3-year deal to back up Kenny Pickett (yahoo.com)
    The team announced Friday it signed the former Chicago Bears starter to a new three-year contract. Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the deal is set to pay Trubisky $19.4 million with incentives worth up to $33 million.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  23. M2K

M2K Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Mason Rudolph deserves all the praise he is getting, that's not the problem. The problem is... fans are coming down on Kenny Pickett, giving up on him. Ridiculous. Both Mason and Kenny looked terrible playing under Matt Canada. It wasn't until Cananda was booted where you started to see Kenny, on the road in Cincinnati, look in command of the offense and... had it not been for a DJ drop in the endzone... Kenny would have passed for over 300 yards, on over 70% completion, with 1 TD and no Ints. Also take into account Kenny's 4th quarter game winning drives and giving up on Kenny is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    If he’s here next year.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You’re assuming some team doesn’t give him 10-12 million a year without incentives. There is always one dumb ass GM that watches these last 3 games and has a ton of cap room.

• Agree Agree x 1