1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Matthews at 17?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerNDC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737446/jake-matthews

Great run blocker. Solid at pass protection. He looks like he could be an elite RT. Starks may or not be back, even if he's back for its 1 year only. Adams would move to LT and Gilbert/Matthews would man RT. If Adams got hurt, Gilbert would probably move to LT.

Or we could take a not as good but a better LT in Lewan.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664410/taylor-lewan

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2013/1/7/3846390/2013-nfl-mock-draft

In that case, Adams and Lewan would battle for LT and the loser of that would battle Gilbert for RT with the loser as the backup.

We ALWAYS lose a tackle for a long period of time. I'd rather taking Matthews but we need to do whatever we can to improve the run. That will protect Ben the most.

2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think we will go OL in the first round this year.

3. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    we have invested high draft picks on our oline already...once we get a good oline coach..we should be good to go..we need a pass rusher badly..I am for Ansah or Jordan

4. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Why do we need a pass rusher or something else? We had one of the worst running games in the league. We need to fix our run game to improve our team the most and to protect Ben.

5. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't mind an OL pick (tackle) if there is someone great available.

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    And keep throwing high picks at it wont necessarily fix it either...and ignore areas of greater need. Then those other positions will end of like the OL did for a number of years, neglected and needing serious help.

Injuries has killed things on the OL...but when they were at their healthiest (and DD wasnt even in then) they had some solid games running the ball. Without the injuries and guys settling into their (some of them new) positions and so on. I think the OL will be just fine.

But as far as the player JAKE Matthews...he seems like a solid kid...and if they DID by some chance get him...I wouldnt hate him/etc...I just think the pick could be used better on D.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lewan would battle no one for playing time on this OL. He'd supplant Starks from Day 1, only problem is we'll have to trade up to get him.

Based on who I think will be available to us at OL with #17, our only chance is Warmack. Eric Fisher is a possibility but I'd rather go with one of the top defensive guys on the board than take a shot on Fisher.