1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spartacus, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Jonathan Dwyer (Pittsburgh Steelers) Attempts 156 Yards 623 TD's 2[TABLE="class: kno-fs ts"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Born: July 26, 1989 (age 23), Marietta
    Weight: 229 lbs (103.9 kg)
    40 yard dash time: 4.59 seconds
    Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Alfred Morris (Washington Redskins) Attempts 335 Yards 1613 TD's 13
    [TABLE="class: kno-fs ts"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Born: December 12, 1988 (age 24), Pensacola
    40 yard dash time: 4.67 seconds
    Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
    Weight: 222 lbs (100.7 kg)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Very similar physically yet very different in production. Both are 6th round selections, and are similar in age. Aside from the obvious, the offensive line, what is the major difference of these two? Second, how does Dwyer become another Morris?

1. Heart/Discipline/Work ethic
    2. The system they play in.
    3. The lack of commitment to the run by our Steelers.
    4. Competition within the team.
    5. Undecided coach willing to settle on one back.
    6. Add your own here.

Spartacus

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    oline and phisical condition

3. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

oline...thats the key to the running game period...

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

I think that number 1 (heart/dicipline/Work Ethic) is the basis for much of the rest. Without Mendy to begin the season, the Steelers were looking for someone to step up and take the "feature back" spot on the team. They were met with Dwyer, who couldn't stay on the field for more than 2 plays in a row and Redman who is more of a 3rd down back than anything else. While each has shown promise, neither has distinguished himself as "THE GUY". I really think that Haley and the STeelers were committed to a successful running game this year, but they were put in a bad position because they had no one to rely on. So, I don't think it is a system thing, except that Haley had to adjust the system to the reality of the lack of a feature back.

As far as number 4 goes - I don't think there ever was "true" competition, because NO ONE stepped up - and that led to an "undecided coach" who wouldn't settle on one back. Remember, the coaches see much more of these guys than we do and know how they work in practice, etc.

So, to me, it all comes down to the fact that the "one back" concept was an open position at the beginning of the year and no one wanted it. It is a problem the Steelers need to solve for next year, as I'm sure they are well aware.

5. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lets not forget RG3 and the read option. When Ben puts the ball in Dwyers stomach the defense isn't worried about him pulling it back and running with it

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And the Skins Oline has been decimated with injuries this season as well....

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not trying to be a wise @ss but Dwyer had half the carries as Morris, 179 less carries, weigh that in for Dywer and he'd likely be up around the same numbers. But to answer the question, it all hinges on the line.

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure about Dwyer being in the same ballpark as Morris if he had more carries. Morris had 20% more yards per carry (4.8 vs. 4.0) and 3 times as many TDs (.038 per carry vs. .012 per carry) as Dwyer.

I agree it is the line though.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wasn't trying to imply Dwyer is as good as Morris but just that his number would be up around 1300 if you figure in the 4.0 per carry you listed. Dwyer can definitely get the job down if he stays on the field.

11. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Vision, quick feet, decision making, option read.

12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll take Number 1

And 2

And 3

And 4

And 5

And 6. I think that's it.

13. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree.

14. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    the biggest difference is the commitment to the run Washington made and the complete lack of one the Steelers made.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You can make that comparison with thousands of players. If all there was to player selection was finding the right height, weight and 40 speed, draft day could be done by computer. Who's more athletic? Quicker? Stronger? Smarter? Who has better vision? Who's more motivated? Each one of those things is as important as hgt, wgt, and 40 speed.

16. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Skins have had a terrible line for years, as bad if not worse than the Steelers. Shanahan simply is good at developing a running game, no matter who he has a a RB. He teaches it and it works. Throw in RG3 and the read option and you have success. I do not think Morris is any better of a RB than most RBs in the league.

17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Lets not forget we lost a key player in the offense, Hines. Something Ive noticed lately on other teams is they get blocks from their WRs and QBs. We have Heath but no really blocking WR. People keep talking about the OL but until Ben got hurt, their were times he couldve made a ham sandwich and drank a glass of tea. Even with the injuries of the OL it didnt look all that bad in reality. I think we re so use to blaming the OL but the OL has been built up the last few years. Our running game just sucked.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Shanahan is probably the best coach in the history of the NFL when it comes to establishing a running game. It doesn't matter who lines up at RB, Shanahan will turn him into a pro bowler. He does it with every RB he has. He either has an incredible eye for talent at that position, or the scheme he implements makes it very easy to run through that line.

Either way, height and weight have little to do with it.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dwyer taps out after 2 carries he needs to get into better shape.

20. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Morris also knew every week that he was the main running back. Dwyer had 2 other backs to share carries with, sometimes 3. I dont think our offense by having a running back by committee, would let any of our backs get momentum or on a roll.

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like Dwyer and I was really on his bandwagon in the pre-season and the first half of the season. After giving it some thought, seeing Dwyer play and hearing some of his interviews I just wonder if he has the heart to really step it up to the next level. He just doesn't seem to want it badly enough and almost seems content to be in the stable with the other RBs. Hope the switch flips in the offseason for him but he didn't prove to me this season that he can be a number one guy.

Tomlin's RBBC approach really aggravated me this season but Dwyer didn't help himself when, after two straight running plays, he was looking to the sideline for some relief.

22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Is it better to have a player that can run effectively, but can only stay in for half the plays, or to have less effective runners that can play every down?
    Considering how often the Steelers go empty backfield, it's not like they need Dwyer to be in all the time.
    They would just need to use Redman or some other back, if they are running the no-huddle.

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    :this!: And add in better shape, he can stay on the field longer than Drwyer.

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Dwyer must take another offseason to up his cardio conditioning and show that he deserves to be a starter. He has talent, he really does, but that isn't all it takes to succeed. I want to see him be able to run a 5k in 25 minutes. If he can do that, I would be pretty happy that he can be a starter for us. Add to that some determination to keep the legs pumping after the first hit and he could be really, really good next year. It has taken him a couple of years to figure out what it is going to take.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that's Haleys doing, it's how he likes to use his RB's, someone mentioned he did that in KC too.