1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers face more questions than answers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    My expectations for the 2013 team are the lowest they have been since the team entered the 2004 season. They went 15-1 that year. Maybe with everyone (including m,any of us on these boards) writing them off, they'll develop and underdog mentality and go out and have a good season.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The Steelers always do best when they are "flying under the radar". Unlike you, my expectations are ALWAYS high for this team, because I've grown to have the expectations that they will perform. Of course, like this year, they may fail to meet those expectations, but I'm of the mindset that you can NEVER write the Steelers off - no matter what hurdles they need to jump over.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm trying not to lose sight of all the injuries we had but this article does make you think. Our WR's are small, I think it's imperative to bring Plax back or add someone else that can go up and get a ball. I watched Boldin haul in some passes yesterday that I don't think any of our guys (minus Plax) could catch. Harrison and Woodley have to start getting to the QB again, I know, JH has been dealing with injuries but he's not getting any younger. Is Woodleys problem simply a matter of being in better shape? What about RB's? Can Dwyer get in himself conditioned enough to be the feature back? Bring back Mendy? Look for a draft replacement? When will Heath return and how effective will he be? The D-line and secondary are the 2 spots I'm not too concerned about. And of course, our seasons really depend on whether Ben makes it through them healthy or not, need to find a quality back up.

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I approach it the same way. I'm generally an optimist who adjusts my expectations based on how reality plays out. I have high hopes that the Steelers will learn from this season. I'm a firm believer that often the best learning comes from making mistakes, so I hope Tomlin will take a good long look at this season and become a better coach because of the failures. And that the players will be led to do the same thing.

I will look forward to next year with optimism, and I'll adjust my thoughts as the next season plays out.

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    "take away some of the 78 starts lost due to injury, and the Steelers would have made the playoffs"

I wonder what the average number of starts lost due to injury for the 12 playoff teams was? Clearly, being healthy puts you in your best position. The Steelers started the season with several players injured, were injured in the middle, and were injured near the end.

Had Ben not been injured, there is a real chance that the offense doesn't struggle towards the end of the season. Perhaps we still split with the Ravens, but I would have to believe that between the losses to the Browns, Chargers, Cowgirls, and Bengals that we would have picked up 2 of those wins at least.

Then, there were the injuries to offensive line. With Colon and Adams on the line, this team was running the ball well. When you run the ball well, that will slow down the opposing pass rush and make those quick dink and dunk passes more effective.

One last point, regarding the running back by committee. The Steelers were in this position for 2 reasons. First because of Mendy's injury and second, because neither Dwyer nor Redman asserted themselves as the sole replacement nor could they stay healthy enough to do so. Running backs by committee can be successful if they have different roles to fill. For example if one of them would be a bruiser that you could count on to get 3 yards on 3rd down who can also block and catch. That would be a better contrast to our "starter" This season we made Rainey our 3rd down back, he is the exact opposite of what I described. His assets are speed, but he's not a bruiser. Mendy, Redman, Dwyer are all essentially the same. Neither of them is a change of pace back to the others.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Im with you. I look at our team and just wonder...where do they START and how do they do it and stay under the cap?