1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to get younger and faster on defense if.......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jan 4, 2013.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So if the rumors are true and Chip Kelly is going to try and bring his speed offense to the Browns then that might force the Steelers to get younger and faster on defense. I'm not saying that they are old and slow but there is no way that Da'beard, Foote, Big Snack or Harrison can keep up the pace this guy runs with the no huddle. Might have to see some fast subs to try and get fresh legs out there if Kelly takes the job. It may just force DL to try some new wrinkles on the defensive side of the ball

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not too concerned about it, until I start seeing a larger success rate, I'm not going to be a believer in college coaches jumping to head coaching positions in the NFL. Plus, there hasn't been a true no huddle offense since the Buffalo Bills of the 90's, there must be a reason for this.

3. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    let's see here............
    4 years on the job
    no national championships
    defeated in two of four bowl games by solid defensive teams

no worries!! :cool:

that college crap don't work in the nfl.

4. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes guys except for Cam Newton running a read option offense in Carolina and having success running and throwing the football, RGIII running a read option and leading the Redskins to a division title while throwing and running the football. I understand the wait and see approach but Kelly will find gifted speedy athletes to run in his system and you better believe that he will take advantage of teams that have some older slower defensive players and try to get them winded.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    7-9 Carolinas is hardly a good example of success and they have Cam, much more talented then anyone currently on the Browns. Redskins have done better but again, they have RGlll and neither team is led by a college coach. Not worried, far more failures then successes.

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Besides, it will take him some time to put together and assemble the people he needs to run his system effectively. I'm sure the other teams in the division will have the same opportunities to find people that will respond to it.

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Given the difficulties they had with teams running the no huddle and hitting the short passes all day this year I would be worried about any team wanting to run no huddle at them. I cna't remember if it was the Bengals or the Ravens, maybe both this year that had success just plugging away with the no huddle and then suddenly got away from it. I think a few teams used that blueprint after they saw it worked against the defense. I wanna say the raiders as well.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    QB's won't hold up playing in that style of offense in the NFL.

9. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Exactly. And given the impatience of Cleveland, they'll blow the whole thing up and start over before they have a chance to fully implement the no huddle.

10. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    *Ding*Ding*Ding* Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree thorn. not just cleve either, it's going to become more of a standard i think. so many colleges use it and the qb's coming out have run nothing but this type of offense. why wouldn't teams run it against defenses that are not prepared to stop it?

this is why LB'ers are not going to continue being the teo type and more of the spence type. strong safeties that are put into lb'er roles for pass defense. quicker guys that can defend the pass instead of thumper types.

holloman from south carolina types that played safety and are big enough to support the run but have that knowledge of pass defense.

even the TE's are being lighter and more of a large wr types.

it's changing in the league and those that don't change with it will be left behind.
    :cool:

12. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    woodley is the one i worry about. also makes spence interesting.

13. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I can't think of the last time the Browns forced us to do anything. The 80's maybe?

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    They forced eight turnovers in a game this year and forced Tomlin into playing Chris Rainy at running back. Not to mention forcing the Steelers into a have to win position in order to get into the playoffs.

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With the hits RGIII took this year,( and Cam) they'll be shortening his career if they keep it up. Same with all of the other qb's who like to run the option, they could be 1 big hit away from retiring in their early 20's. They can get away with it in college since they're only there for what 2- 3 years? NFL career is around 13 years ( for the better ones), they'll need to pace these thoroughbreds if they want them to last.

16. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    washington did take cousins as well. maybe the second qb is part of the new system?

17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Thats exactly what I was getting ready to post. And the NFL defense is getting use to seeing it. People also fail to realize that RGIII didnt do alot running in college like he is now. Its working for the moment but he paid the price at least 3 times this year.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    The Patriots are running a no-huddle, up-temp offense.

I think we may be seeing a massive shift in how pro football is played, predicated on the new rules. Notice the success, now, of rookie QBs in this league. The days of the traditional, dropback passer may be coming to an end. I thought Kordell Stewart was going to transform the NFL back 1997, but he was 15 years ahead of his time.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll believe it when I see it, a shift away from traditional drop back passer that is. And Washington is going to get RG killed if they keep that up.

21. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Wait, I may have overstated that a bit. Not that the days are coming to an end, but that QBs who are NOT the traditional dropback QB may now be just as (if not more) successful. How do you explain Wilson, RGIII, and Newton? The fact that Luck has also been successful tell us a lot about how the game is played. Offenses don't have to be so sophisticated. Why? Defesnes can't stop anything. I see no way that defenses can stop uptempo, spread offenses anymore. Call me a cynic, but the D can't hit anymore, and we will now see the emergence of offensive juggernauts. The NFL is soon going to mirror Arena football. We'd better get used to 48-42 games, which is what Goodell seems to want.

22. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    the Patriots are using a lot of the same plays that Oregon is using in college. they want to keep it fast and keep the defense from subsituting players.

i think the Steelers can do the same thing. the one thing that they will need to do is establish a run game. Oregon runs the hell out of the ball and the Pats did a pretty good job of running the ball this year.

the 3 headed monster that the Steelers tried to use needs to be scrapped and they need to settle on 1 guy. i still think Redman is the ideal 3rd down back. he can run people over and he can catch the ball. i think Dwyer if in shape will do very well next year if they make a commitment to the run.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, the league has always been favoring the offense, goes way back as you know. How many times did we see teams racking up 50 points this season? Defenses always seem to adjust and figure it out though, so hopefully we'll never see arena type football scores running rampant.

24. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Well - we can put to rest the idea that Chip Kelly's offense is coming to the AFC North. It just never changes in Cleveland does it? They do their interviewing in full view of the media and allow information to leak like a sieve. They make it well known that their first choice is Kelly. They set up a second interview along with lawyers for the team ready to write out the details of a contract. Then, Kelly decides to stay in the college ranks. So, now, no matter WHO Cleveland picks, he knows he wasn't their first choice. At best, he's sloppy seconds. I'm sure they'll play it up in the media when they eventually do hire a coach. They'll say how he is THEIR guy - and that Chip Kelly just wasn't right for them. But we all know now that they're lying. We know that the guy they wanted said no. We know that no matter how they try to spin it, they are settling for someone other than who they thought was best.

I am SO glad to be a Steelers fan and to find out only AFTER the ink is dry who the coach is.