1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Who should start at QB in Week 17 if Kenny Pickett is fully healthy?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Kenny Pickett

22 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Mason Rudolph

85 vote(s)
    78.0%
  3. Mitch Trubisky - I want a better draft pick

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    First round QB draft pick last year

Currently injured

Sorry but I was waiting to see who would bite and it took me multiple posts

Kenneth Shane Picket is what his mother named him

:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok I’m with you

3. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

You know there was a dropped TD pass(or a TD pass that they called incomplete) and a fumble at the Bengals' 14 yard line in that first game. There were also a couple bad snaps that ended drives where they had a chance to score, and some bad penalties when they were in scoring range. The Steelers had 1 turnover in that game. The Bengals only had 1 turnover in that game. You know this. Anyone that watched the first game saw the small mistakes they made to squander points that had nothing to do with quarterback play.

In yesterday's game:

The Bengals deciding to cover George Pickens in single man coverage for much of this game is a big reason the numbers are what they are. Every other team has doubled Pickens and has been able to make the offense struggle.

The Bengals had a horrid defensive game plan and they were decimated by injury.

The Steelers offensive line had their best pass protection game of the season, and they were gashing them with the run game.

The defense produced 3 turnovers for a (+3) that gave the offense short fields that they converted to points.

In the first game, the Steelers had 1 turnover. The Bengals also turned it over once. So three more turnovers by the Bengals in yesterday's game. It makes a huge difference and you know it..

There were no dropped passes that I remember.

The Steelers had no turnovers. Pickens fumbled, but they got it back.

The Steelers only committed 2 penalties for 15 yards. I know one was a defensive pass interference penalty or illegal contact on Porter. The other was a hold on Dan Moore that wasn't really a hold IMO.

In the first game, the Steelers committed 5 penalties for 55 yards.

You know that some of those numbers and some performances by position groups have not played to that level this season. You also know that the defenses they have been facing and the coverages they have been using to shut down the offense did not look anything like the Bengals did yesterday.

So a lot went right for Mason Rudolph and the offense, and the entire offense executed better than they have in any other game in a long time with almost zero mistakes. That has not been the norm.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. Tanker65

Tanker65 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    If you start Pickett and it goes south, it would be bad all around I think. The team would turn etc.

I think you play Mason to see if it was just the Bengals defense. If he does great awesome the team keeps winning. If he does bad then you may have a better feel for what he really is. You just tell Pickett look we want your injury to be fully healed and not rush back.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes you did

I missed it

Ok we now have one

Where are the other 16 of you or does GoldBunny have 16 other aliases

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Sorry to hear KSPs mom got the axe on here

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Of course! Rudolph would have thrown for 2000 more yards than Kenny Pickett with 25 more touchdown passes and 10 less interceptions. He would also never get hurt again ever. Also, the rest of the team would always play a perfect game for him, while all defensive coordinators would single cover George Pickens all season with Rudolph at the helm. Clearly, Mason Rudolph has been waiting for his opportunity to be unleashed upon the NFL. There is no stopping him now!

Seems reasonable to me!! :roflmao:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If Pickens was doubled who’s to say MR wouldn’t find DJ or CA III in single coverage

I now have more faith in Rudy than KP, even though I think KP should still start next week if he’s healthy

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You know who else hasn’t done jack squat until this game? Rudolph. I just don’t know why Rudolph gets all these accolades for a good game against Cincy when Pickett also had a good game against them.

If Pickett is healthy, Tomlin will play him.

10. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    They barely squeaked a 16-10 win. It's about scoring points.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Should have been 20 at least. They also had a fumble deep in Cincy territory. Team sport.

If you go by what each QB did, their numbers are very similar.

And it’s not like Rudolph threw 4 TD passes.

12. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Rudolph had a pretty decent game in his first relief for Ben. He beat Cincinnati in his first start and looked like a veteran. He was doing pretty well till he got knocked out against the Ravens, and actually completed the pass on th eplay he got knocked out. After that his play was ****ty that year for myriad of reasons, chief being that it takes time for brain to physically and psychologically recover from such a blow. Pickett has been one of the worst qb's in the league based on offensive production. His record is average because the D won him about three games this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    He converted third downs. Pickett is horrendous on those downs. He also showed a deep pass that Pickett is somehow incapable of doing. This opens the running game.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    3rd down conversion:
    Rudolph 7/14
    Pickett 8/17

118 yards rushing the game Rudolph played
    153 yards rushing the game Pickett played

15. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Still more potential than Pickett.. Pickett hasn't really had a good complete game in the nfl. The Defense has been good and won him some games. Pickett had just one good season at Pitt which seems more like a fluke. Mason was consistently pretty good at Okhlahoma State. I get that Pitt alumni and fans have a vested interested in Pickett, but after 24 starts he has shown no improvement and probably has regressed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    34 -11 vs 16 -10. End of argument. The thing is Rudolph is much harder to defend for defenses because he has very good deep ball. If they don't have safety help deep, Rudolph can just torch you for 6. If they keep safety help deep, this opens up underneath routes and run games and screens. With Pickett and Trubisky, they can ignore the deep ball and just play them like Ben during his last year. It crushes the running game and nnothing is open intermediate and short. You have to convert several first downs to get a TD, and chances of that happening are low as demonstrated by our low scoring offense statistics.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Field goal gets them 19 which is still very average performance. That's his best game. He was horrid against bottom dweller this year too which probably cost us playoffs. Shouldn't those count.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok so we are in agreement with Mason

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I had high hopes for Rudolph due to some great playing previously, but after he got attacked with the helmet, he looked like he was playing scared, and wasn't playing as well as before that. We had all seen what he was capable of, but hadn't seen that since the incident. Nobody other than coaches and teammates really knew if he would be able to play like he did before, but he was set as QB 3 for a reason known to the team. I'm very glad he came back and played the way he did, and we've all seen him play well, it was just a matter of whether or not he has gotten back to that since the Cleveland game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So we count almost now???
    They left Pickens open before in the 1st game....Hell many games have shown this....You can be open all day long if the Qb doesn't see You. Jumping on the Bengals fast made them desperate, and get out of their game plan.....this is what I was try to say last week when Mason was stuck in at the end of the game. Great now they can just play deep zone, and pin their ears back. That's what You can do when You jump on a team.....that's football.

21. Steelersfan4life

Steelersfan4life Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2022
    Kenny and Mitch seeing this poll

. Awesome.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good God in heaven....it's impossible for some to say.....Hey ....maybe I was incorrect. LoL....yet some of those same people want Pickens to own up, and be a man. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  23. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

What do you know about what Mason Rudolph did at Oklahoma St? I'm not an alumni or a fan of Pitt.

I evaluate players for the draft. I have done it for years. Not professionally for a living, but I evaluate players. I know exactly what both of these guys did in college.

What they accomplished in college doesn't really matter all that much. The only thing that matters is what they are capable of at the next level. I wasn't crazy about either one of them, but Pickett was the highest rated QB in a weak QB class. I thought Pickett was more of a 2nd round QB. He was a late bloomer that did well with good talent around him. He was more athletic than most gave him credit for. He had one big season, but it looked like he put it together in his last season. He made all the throws, and he did it with the game on the line.

Mason Rudolph was a guy that put up big numbers in a conference that played no defense. He played in an offense that often led the nation in offense. He could throw the ball but had bad feet. His footwork was awkward and slow, so it was felt by most that he would struggle to be able to shift his feet to reposition himself within the pocket at the next level unless he had a superior offensive line. Also, for all the big numbers he put up, he consistently came up small in big games and in big game-deciding moments throughout his college career. I had him as a 3rd or 4th round QB.

I hope whoever Mike Tomlin starts lights it up. I was rooting for Rudolph to tear it up yesterday. We all have our opinions on who is better at what, who should start going forward, and who is the long-term starter of the team, but we should all be hoping for either quarterback once the decision is made.

I think it is more likely that Kenny Pickett becomes the better starter. Mason Rudolph is now a seasoned vet, and should play better than Pickett. To this point I really don't think he has in camps or preseason to get the nod over Pickett. Yesterday was his first game in a while. Everyone was lighting up this message board saying Browning was better than anyone we had here. Then he throws 3 interceptions against the Steelers and he looks like a rookie that can't read a defense. It's amazing what a game plan and coaching can do from game to game. The Steelers defense confused him all night and he threw to the other team. Again, many people here said how great Browning was after a couple games. Their opinions of him now may be different.

Mason Rudolph has to play a lot more football for me to think that he is definitively better than Kenny Pickett. We also need to see if they are going to keep this offensive coaching staff and offensive system, or bring in another OC with a different offense and maybe some different coaches. This is a fluid situation with a ton of unknowns about who is responsible for what is currently happening, and a ton of unknowns about what will happen going forward because of the OC, the current offense, and the changes since then with Pickett also getting injured when it looked like the offense was starting to get going.

My personal opinion is that Pickett will be better than Rudolph is now. I believe I see a higher ceiling. Either way I'll be rooting for whoever is behind center.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    One could argue that if Tomlin starts Pickett over Rudolph, he doesn't care as much about his coveted "losing record" stat as people think.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thats a whole different way to look at it. One I haven't even thought about. Although No matter who the coach is....if its his choice....wouldn't You want the wins, and a actual chance at the playoffs??? Unless You are worried about starting a Qb controversy already with Your 1st round Qb. :shrug:???
    Nice :thumbs_up:. Glad I wasn't smoking when I read this. LoL:lolol:. I'd be up all night pondering this.

• Like Like x 1