1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this bother anyone else?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 3, 2013.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Really?

Do you really believe that Tomlin needs to be called into the Rooneys office and given a stern talking to because the Steelers didn't make the playoffs this year?

:lolol:

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yep - and he would walk in wearing a Super Bowl ring on his finger, and AFC Championship hat on his head and a divisional championship T-shirt, holding a program from the Wild Card game last year. After walking in, Rooney would look up and say, "Never mind."

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't seriously believe that either. Something was definitely off this year though. Look at the replay of Troy's INT, he just kind of steps out of bounds with a "meh..." look and demeanor. Really just felt like that kind of year all year.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Great observation, couldn't agree more. We can do better, we must do better.

5. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Let the Rooney's worry about that stuff. Their is nothing anyone can do, it is their team and I'm sure if we see it they see it. Let is play out.

6. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I partially agree but we are waisting Ben in his Prime if we don't get some veteran help here. If you build from the ground now we will waste the last 5-7 years of Bens career.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think a lot of Tomlin's deficiencies are mitigated by a great quarterback and a great defensive coordinator. The record and Super Bowl appearances are a result of those two things more than anything else. Not saying Tomlin is a bad coach but he does seem willing to accept mediocrity from some of his assistant coaches and reluctant to make changes when they seem warranted.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Most if not all successful coaches have a great staff and great players, most notably QB's. What did Noll win after Bradshaw retired, what has Shannahan won since he no longer has Elway? Where's Dallas without Troy? Whats SF won without Montana/Young?

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

lol, Browns' coaches don't ever get to 68 games.

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Some people can watch sports their wholes lives and never figure it out.

11. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Players still have to make the plays. I don't know the x's and o's of coaching. I only know what I see and I seen too many games this year where the Steelers came out flat and un enthused. Like they would rather be some place else. I would think this would be Tomlin's job to make sure this complacency doesn't happen. If it is, he is not doing too good a job. Maybe I imagined this. Everyone playing timid like the water's too cold. This isn't Steeler football.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    LOL! I guess the "some people" you're referring to is me.:shrug:

Look, I'm not as stupid as I may appear at times. I realize that to have success you have to surround yourself with good people. But I truly believe that some head coaches LEAD that success and some coaches just seem to BENEFIT from that success. What does firing a special teams coach or a strength and conditioning coach have to do with your response anyway. Tomlin seems reluctant to fire anyone. Lammar Woodley and Troy P coming in out of shape may or may not be the fault of the S&C coach. The RBs stinking up the joint may not entirely be the fault of Kirby Wilson. The OL struggling year after year may not be completely Sean Kugler's fault. BUT at times the head coach MUST MAKE A CHANGE TO DEMONSTRATE TO THE PLAYERS THAT THERE WILL BE ACCOUNTABILITY AND SOMEBODY WILL PAY THE PRICE FOR THEIR LACK OF PREPARATION AND PERFORMANCE! Tomlin just seems to freeze at times when it comes to making those tough calls.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know where someone draws the line in regard to "some head coaches LEAD that success and some coaches just seem to BENEFIT from that success? It's probably as you stated, "seem" or how one choose to view the situation. The appearance of things are not always what they "seem". Tomlin is a part of this team regardless if anyone believes that he leads or benefits from the success of the players and coaches he chooses to keep, hire, or draft. Ultimately, the success and failures of a team generally hinge on how the players execute/perform out on the field.

Tomlin let coaches go and put players on the bench. He can't take the approach with every player or coach for very obvious reasons. IMO, coaches can only do so much at the professional level. Players are mostly accountable because they are professionals and grown men. Different approaches can be taken at the high school and college level. I don't believe that chastising and coaches at the pro level works well. Where does the professional level coach draw the line in regard to player and coach accountability? Is it benching or trading a player like Holmes? Benching Mendenhall? There were other players that were benched. Coaches can't bench every player and fire every coach based on fans perceptions of the situation. The coaches that attempt to hold every player and coach accountable won't be a HC very long.

I don't know but it seems some fans seem to lack understanding or patience. I've never seen Tomlin freeze. Correct or incorrect, Tomlin stands by his decisions. Appears that he's gotten plenty of his decisions correct.

How do the fans make the presumption that the team was prepared vs being unprepared? Does preparation boil down to close games, individual performance, turnovers, offense vs defense, special teams, W's vs L's, or something else? IMO, preparation/performance is never cut and dry.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I think one of Tomlin's issues this year was inconsistency. You mention that Tomlin benched other players besides Mendy. Who were they? They were Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman. He cost us the Cleveland game by keeping his best RBs on the bench and letting a rookie carry the load. I guess he was trying to prove a point but why didn't he bench Mike Wallace or Antonio Brown when they were dropping balls all over the place and making mental errors that cost us field position and ultimately games? You can say he benched Wallace when he elevated Sanders to co-starter but that was not a punitive move by any stretch. Tomlin just seems to be inconsistent when it comes to holding players and coaches accountable. One of the best ways to get a message across to the team that preparation and performance is taken seriously and there are consequences for underperformance is by firing somebody. That has a tendency to make everyone else sit up and take notice. I know that seems harsh but that's the reality in the N(ot) F(or) L(ong).