1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This really needs to hapen right now in the NFL.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 3, 2013.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    PI needs to be 15 yards max.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate that idea, every defender would have a field day with that when they know they are beat for a 60 yard bomb, taking the 15 yards would be a no brainer.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I understand what you're saying but teams are using it to an advantage. You just can't keep spotting the ball.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I think you're both right and both wrong. :)

There should be 2 grades of PI, just as there's 2 grades of facemasking. One for interference that might be a result of being a tad too early, or aggressive, but not flagrant. 15 yards.

One for flagrant PI where its obvious the defender was intentionally interfering - spot of foul.

AND....

Coaches should be allowed 2 "penalty challenges" per game.

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hehe...

and while we're on the subject: Make offensive PI a reverse spot of foul penalty. Happened 35 yards downfield? 35 yard penalty. Happens in the endzone? Loss of possession.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A couple things... There aren't two degrees of facemask penalties anymore, not that I necessarily agree with that. The second thing is, I agree with the OP. I understand that if a guy is burned for what he thinks could be a touchdown, he could just tackle the receiver by the legs and take the 15 yards. But I think that would be extremely rare. I mean, it's already a good decision to do that as it is so that it's only yardage they get instead of extra yardage plus points, but it almost never happens. Plus, if he's beaten that badly, he probably won't have such an easy time tackling him.

Also, what's the point here? That a player could intentionally commit a penalty in order to minimize the damage to his team? They can do that already. OL will tackle a dude if they get burned, and instead of -8 yards and loss of down, or possibly even a turnover, it's just -10 yards and a repeated down.

I'm tired of teams just tossing up a lob against us and getting a quick 40 yards because the ball was poorly thrown. Seriously, and I'm not kidding about this, if I was the OC of a team against us, I'd just throw it deep every play and make us defend it without committing a penalty. Do you know how hard it is to defend three bombs cleanly these days? Hard. All the receiver has to do is run into the DB, and if the DB's head isn't turned the right direction (stupid stupid stupid rule) then it's a penalty on him. I hate seeing teams struggle against our D, and then just throw some incomplete bombs, just knowing it's a matter of time before we panic and commit a penalty, or just get our feet tangled or don't turn our heads quickly enough. Boom, quick points for them. That sucks. Even if we could benefit from it the same as other teams, it's still stupid football.

I also hate the idea of slowing the game down even more, because as it is I can watch the grass grow if I press fast forward, so I don't want penalty challenges. Ohhh that's right, we want the game to have a million stoppages so they can air more commercials and make more money. And I don't trust the refs with two degrees of PI when they can't even get one right. How about we make it a 15 yard max penalty, but we also eliminate the "uncatchable" rule? I like the uncatchable rule, but it's never enforced properly. This takes it out of the ref's hands and gives a little something back to the offense since we're helping out the defense. Want to tackle the guy because he burned you? Okay, but if the QB throws it in the stands you're still giving them a fresh set of downs and 15 yards.

As for offensive PI, I'm not sure we need to be backing teams up 35 yards at a time, but how about we start enforcing the rule we have instead of letting them get away with murder? Ohhh that's right, we want them to be playing a crooked game so they can score more points so they can make more money.

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The offensive PI was a response to the current DPI rules. If it's a 50 yard penalty for one, why not the other?

In all seriousness though, I do believe offensive PI should have a loss of down included, and if it happens in the endzone, it should be a touchback. They can keep their cheap spot of foul penalties if they get hammered for doing it themselves. And yes, that means enforcing it. It's not like the offense doesn't have a huge rules advantage already...

(when did they do away with the 2 grades of facemask? And what rock have I been under?)

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been saying this for years goin back to the old board. Usually it isnt met with much fanfare glad to see people are starting to realize the benefits of a rule change . Huge ,all your points hit the mark. The PI calls are too inconsistent and game altering.

9. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    There aren't two grades of facemasking penalties anymore, though. It is 15 yards, no matter what now. Several years ago, they decided that the "judgement" of incidental facemasking and personal foul facemasking was too much for officials to have to judge. So, now it is just 15 yards. I'm not sure if the same thing would be said for PI, though. I agree with the penalty challenges issue.

10. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That is half of the Ravens offense - chuck it deep and hope for a PI. They got that call so many times last year - I think it was responsible for half of their wins (they did it to all teams, not just the Steelers).

The PI against Victorian was a prime example of what people are talking about. The ball was severely underthrown, Victorian sees it and starts to slow to come back toward the ball, the receiver keeps going and runs into Victorian, he was not coming back toward the ball, ref flags Victorian for PI because the receover was impeded, what ever happened to the defenders right to the ball. Reverse the uniforms on the players and the refs still would have called the defender. The poorly thrown ball and the way the refs call any contact on th defenser made it a defesive PI no matter what.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd like a little consistency with calling the penalties on both sides of the ball. Since that doesn't seem likely, I think there should be some kind of tiered penalty system. If it's blatant, it should be a spot foul. A personal foul is only 15 yards, and they are probably more "severe" than any pass interference call I've seen. I'd like to see most of the calls waved off as incidental contact, but that probably won't happen either. I say make most PI calls a ten yard penalty and an automatic first down. Likewise if it's offensive pass interference a ten yard penalty. I would love a loss of downs too, but the competition comittee would never go for that. Becuase the game is so lopsided, I'd also like them to increase the ability of a defender to engage a WR to ten yards down the field. Make them fight harder to get by the defender. As it stands right now, since most DB's play at least five yards off thier man, they pretty much can't touch him anyway. Pretty much all a DB can do anymore is run with a WR and hope they don't catch the ball, or try to knock it out of the air. If the WR runs into them, it's a penalty. If they hit the WR too hard to dislodge the ball, it's a penalty. If the WR isn't ready for the hit, its a penalty. Playing defense in the NFL must be really frustrating these days because there's not much a defender can do any more.

12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    H3ll, this debate started B4 some on the board were born.

I just don't believe there should a penalty in the game that can, theoretically, be the entire length of the field. And it's a judgement call @ that!!! Also, the refs, whom I really believe do a decent job, never appear to factor in if the ball was catch-able in the first place. I've seen way to many calls where, to me, it didn't even look possible. In all fairness to the officials how do you determine that to begin with? I mean how do you know a Mike Wallace could not get to that ball or Plax couldn't have made the reach? They don't, so they call it.

The PI call has been a joke for years and spawned an entire offensive system. It has done what it was designed to do buy @ what cost?

Perhaps, as someone suggested, there could be two levels of escalation. Standard PI 15 yrds/1st down and a flagrant 25 yarder and 1st, I dunno, but they need to do something.

Seems to me 25 yards, a quarter of the playing field, and 4 new tries is sever enough.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I've been saying this for years also. These 30-40 yard PI penalties can easily change the outcome of a game...so as someone said why wouldnt a QB just throw it up and hope to get the PI and get in TD/FG range off of it instead of earning the yardage. The end!

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    PI annoys the hell out of me. The whole idea of just throwing it deep and "hoping for a penalty" is so anti the reasons I enjoy football it riles me - even when we get breaks through it, it annoys me.

I like Dobre Shunka's ideas of "stepped" penalties. Though I also like the idea of a 15 yard penalty, and the offending DB sits out the next play. Though that might require an expanded roster...

15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    we never get these calls why?

ben doesn't have time to thow it deep down field?

he does but then it is one of his PUNTPASSES?

our receivers are small and the defenders have better position on them?

the refs just don't like us?

i don't even think it should be 15 but 10 yards too much advantage for the offense in this game today
    just because you bump into a player before the ball gets there it's worse than a personal foul?????

some personal fouls should be 25 yards!!