1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin has lost the offensive side of the team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 18, 2023.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's really not hard to hold people accountable for their actions. I'm sorry, but if I can hold federal convicts accountable for their ongoing behaviour, Mike Tomlin can find a way to hold football players accountable.

It starts with repercussions. If you mess up, there's repercussions. In my situation while working in a prison, repercussions to the inmates include extra time in jail, fines, getting moved to segregation, getting moved to a different jail, etc. I can assure you that they resist far harder than any NFL players do, yet it's my job to stand firm and hold them accountable.

All Tomlin has to do is let the guys know there will be repercussions. It's not rocket science. These guys want to play and want to get paid. Take that away from them. Continue to take it away until they get with the program. If they don't ever get with the program, then they made the choice to destroy their career. If I'm Tomlin, Pickens is not playing next week. I would probably make him play special teams, but that's it. If he doesn't like it, he's free to go work at Walmart. He will be told there will be no trade requests honoured so he can either get with the program or his NFL career can be over.

Not sure why so many people are scared to bench a player who isn't even contributing to winning anyway. We might be better off with a 4th string WR who actually tries hard. Other teams are winning with backups, why can't we

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This x 1000.

I've said it in the past, and I believe it to this day....Tomlin has said many times that he treats the players like men. Rich mentioned that in this video as well. The problem is, they aren't acting like men, so that doesn't work.

If they'd act like men, treating them like men would maybe work OK. But when they act like spoiled children, treating them like men just enables them. This is a Tomlin problem b/c he lets it go on and isn't doing anything to correct it.

Check Noll is famous for not tolerating a lack of discipline. If a player was that way, Noll would find a way to move on when he could. Tomlin is almost the polar opposite. He can't "force" them to behave or have better attitudes, but he could learn something from Noll's approach.

3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Tomlin won't learn.

it is over for him

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Tomlin almost always handcuffed our offense, no matter who our OC was and even when our offense was loaded

5. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin inherited Arians. Haley was forced on Tomlin. Tomlin inherited Lebeau.
    Outside of those 3 guys, our coordinators have been terrible. Tomlin has no clue how to hire coordinators, or the culture he's setting is killing the team and making coordinators unsuccessful, or both.

Tomlin has not hired a single good coordinator yet. He could have had Flores, but chose to keep Austin over him, a guy fired by the Bengals and Lions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn’t mean he lost them. When every coach loses does that mean he lost the team. You hit on the reason in your post, injuries. Losing your two starting safeties back to back is a tough blow to overcome. Plus they were on the field all game.

I think the defense loves Tomlin and buys in.

7. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Bench the crybabies, we are losing anyways. Make their stock go down, if someone else wants the headaches. Tomlin really has produced some less than classy players over the last 6-7 years

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It does feel like things are coming to a head but I also know we will probably be very disappointed.

It will be a win if we even get a legit OC let alone new HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's both. I've always thought it was both. Maybe that Chuck Noll voice from the past is directing his comments toward the coaching, lol. Right now I think the talent that has been drafted and signed via free agency is struggling with few exceptions. I think many of the players on the roster lack talent. But I think there are plenty of other talented players who are not playing up to their ability and we have to ask ourselves why. I think coaching has a lot to do with that. I said when Pickett was drafted that I didn't trust Tomlin or Canada at all to coach up and develop a young quarterback. Kenny probably came to one of the worst coaching staffs in the league for a young quarterback with potential. Mitch Trubisky was a Pro-Bowl quarterback at one time and led the Bears to the playoffs so we at least know something is in there somewhere. But his play has devolved to the point that it's sucky even by his standards and he has absolutely no confidence right now. Mason Rudolph seemed to have some talent when he came into the league but has not progressed AT ALL. We see other backup quarterbacks around the league who look competent. Why have ours, ALL OF OURS, struggled so mightily? (don't make me break out the church lady meme, lol). You'd think at least one of them could step up and elevate his play. Coaching has much to do with that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Problem I have with this logic is that if you're looking to get rid of a player through trade, the last thing you want is for their stock to go down. You're getting little to nothing for them. Especially a guy like Pickens, who they used a second round pick for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    You must be in the land of fruit n nuts…California

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree to a point, but, and this is not saying You, but I have seen like 16 different players want benched. We actually have to have a team to play with, and sometimes benching players not just hurts them, but other players that don't deserve being benched.

14. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    You got a 2rd pick for Chase. Im a knucklehead Claypool!

15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Speaking of da Bears, we made out like bandits. I certainly dont want to return the favor by taking Fields off their hands.

16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    True dat. I wouldn't expect every other team to be as stupid as da Bears though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Indeed

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I get that, but I would take poor players that try hard over elite players that don't play hard. For the most part, our guys are trying. It's only DJ and Pickens that have had problems. I know people crap on Muth, but he is what he is. He can't block. I don't think it's effort, the dude just can't do it. He's not bad if you get him into the 2nd level, but he's not going to sit on the line and block DL's. Just not going to happen with him. I don't think that means he's not trying though

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's not Tomlin's fault!!!!!

It's not the Head Coaches job to make these guys practice!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Who can?

22. DoinThatRag

DoinThatRag Active Member

Aug 17, 2022
    The young people at work also don't want to work a full 40 hour week or be in the office. It is the changing mentality and culture when everything in life is served up on a silver platter. Then when they don't get their way they blame others for their deficiencies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I remember not so long ago when Steelers players actually complained about not practicing enough. Man, times sure have changed

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    There is a bunch of young people at my job,21-23 years old you can't say anything to them . Or they get offended..they don't Wana work.... I couldn't count the time I've been called in the office because one of these kids got offended..lol....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016