1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You know when SteelerGlenn

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone that is being objectionable and has a modicum of common sense knows they need to change coaches.

Would be the best for Tomlin and the Steelers. He’s been here too long.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I understand that you are upset and angry, but come on.

There needs to be major changes. I think Tomlin needs to be replaced, but at the very least they need a new offensive coordinator, new offense, probably a new QB coach. I think a new coaching staff needs to come in and see what they can do with the current talent. There is talent on that roster. There may be a few players that need to be moved that don't fit what you are trying to do going forward, but it would be great to see what this team could with a real NFL offense so they can truly evaluate quarterbacks in a system that has a chance to work.

Also, why do you want to fire the GM that was just hired this season and had the best Steelers draft in years?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    The belief that you're an irrelevant parasite unites the entire steelers community

4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I told ya this years ago,.. lol...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Really?? Ridiculous!

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    IIRC, we were their first win, and it was in our house. Terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe he thinks Khan drafted Pickett. Otherwise makes no sense. Khan and Weidl have been a bright spot this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Yep. Tampa signed WR Louis Murphy off the street that week and had a 6 Rec, 99 yard game. That's when I knew Tomlin was at his sell by date.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Exactly.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Get f*cken Jim Harbaugh or any HC with offense in his background. Fix the O line, keep Watt, Highsmith, Fitz, Porter...cut the rest who are not on rookie contracts. Blow sh!t up all to hell!

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This was a fun thread to read. Congrats on getting there, Glenn. It inspired me to think back on my own Tomlin journey. Below I'll list some key moments that stick out to me.

2007 - Tomlin is hired - I'm confident ownership knows what it's doing. This Tomlin guy is probably good.

2008 - We win the Super Bowl
    - People say he won with Cowher's players, and that's true, but I give credit where credit is due: Tomlin was speculated to bring in his own coaches and change our system to a 4-3, which he had success with in Minnesota. He kept LeBeau and let him do his thing, and stayed out of the way. This Tomlin guy cares about winning. That's what matters.

2010 - We lose the Super Bowl
    - The Packers played a near-perfect game, we played like trash, and we still only lost by 1 score. We were the better team 9 days out of 10, but not that day. I quietly know that Cowher would have won that game with that roster. But no use crying over spilt milk; Tomlin still got us to 2 Super Bowls in 2 years, so I'm good with him.

2011 - We lose to Denver (Tebow)
    - Where were the halftime adjustments? Ok, we all thought Tebow would stink, but (for whatever reason) he's playing the game of his life, so let's retool, let's adjust, let's respect the passing game like we would any other team. Cowher would. "Daring him to beat you with his arm" is straight up not working. He's doing it. Failure to adjust gives me serious doubts about Tomlin's in-game coaching ability. It's no longer cute that he can't read a clock. (1) (2) The benefit of the doubt is gone and I'm starting to wonder if he can hang in the "big leagues", i.e. winning games deep into the playoffs.

2015 - Steelers sign Vick - I've got personal reasons to hate Vick, but that aside... Isn't the time to anger half your fans (and possibly some players) by signing a notorious scumbag when his talent is just too good to ignore? Vick was washed up with nothing to offer by 2015. Why go out of your way to sign a bad backup player? Because you're buds? That's more important than winning?

2015 - Tomlin sticks by Vick, no matter what - As predicted, Vick sucked. He mercifully injures his hamstring against the Cardinals, and is replaced by Landry Jones, who wins the game. Tomlin states after the game that he never considered replacing Vick, and he would still be the starter if not for his injury. Ok, now I'm getting it. Yes, I was right, his weird personal relationships are, in fact, more important than winning. And not in some Disney/Ted Lasso inspirational way, wherein he does what's right to inspire his players and help the team in the long-run. He just plays favorites at the expense of winning, which is the opposite of inspiring.

2017 - The Jesse James play - As I write this, it was 6 years ago to the day. (I remember vividly because Dec 17th 2017 was a dark day for HugeSnack in the romance department. But I digress.) We all know what happened here. James scores a touchdown, they spend about 10 minutes reviewing it, and Tomlin is woefully unprepared for the outcome. I get being surprised. We were all surprised. But what else do you have to do during all that replay time, besides make a plan for what to do if the call is overturned? I can't find the clip now, but I've seen it before: as they are lined up to snap the ball on 2nd down, Tomlin tells Haley that if they are tackled short of the goal line, he wants to run a play on 3rd down, not spike it. This creates a panic and massive confusion, Ben fake spikes and throws into triple coverage, the ball is intercepted and they don't even get to tie the game with a field goal. This is when I knew for sure what I'd grown to suspect: Tomlin is not a serious NFL coach.

2023 - Tomlin retains Matt Canada - The data was in. Canada was bad. I know, he's not the only problem, but we didn't need the first half of this season to cinch it. We already knew that Canada's offense was taking us nowhere, and whether Kenny is the guy or not, we'd only find out with a competent OC. This move shows that Tomlin is not interested in winning big, or taking a difficult road to get to big wins in the future. His goal is not Super Bowls and deep playoff runs. His goal is never having a losing season. He is content with 8-8-1. Keeping Canada and creating gameplans around 200 yards of offense and a TD from your defense is not a serious plan to win in the NFL. At best it's a plan to have a non-losing season and just miss the playoffs, which is all he needs to keep his job. It's all so clear. 9-8, no playoffs, and drafting 20th is how Tomlin defines success. Wow. I used to think he was just incompetent. How naive was I.

Tomlin was carried by his players. Ben, Troy, Clark, Miller, Harrison, Bell, some truly incredible linemen, linebackers, and receivers... given the talent, this team underperformed under Tomlin. As the talent disappears, we're getting a look at what he really has to offer. And it's not good.

Looking forward - Ironically, after all that, I don't think firing Tomlin is 100% necessary for them to return to greatness. There is a path to success with him as head coach... if he changed everything. He needs talented, qualified support staff. He needs to back off and let real experts do their thing. He needs to put some punk kid like me in charge of clock management and challenges. He's shown that he can be a cheerleader and win a Super Bowl that way.

However, I also believe that his conduct includes fireable offenses. The man is content with losing, as long as he keeps his job. We should not tolerate that. It's poison. It's the same thing as DJ not chasing the fumble or making the tackle, it's just harder to see. Plus, I don't think he's capable of making those changes. If he was, he wouldn't be so afraid all the time. Fire (or trade) Tomlin.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Herein lies the problem. He would need to be a completely different coach with the same name. Just for starters he would need to hire solid coordinators and get the hell out of their way. However, even after that he would still need to learn how to impose discipline in situations like what we’re seeing with DJ and Pickens. Even if those things are solved, he would need to learn to trust a bit more in analytics when faced with in-game decisions and not just go with his gut. Oh, and let’s also figure out that whole “clock” thing. Is he capable of any of the above, never mind all of it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Realistically, I'd say some of it, maybe. And even then, only if a Rooney gets in his ear and threatens his job.

All of it, no. You're preaching to the choir, I think he should go. I stopped calling myself a fan 8 years ago because of him (and the Rooneys who support him), and I've known he's literally a bad coach for 6 years. I think the Rooneys could have found success with him if they forced his hand on some things. But these days it seems like even his strengths are weaknesses, so what are we hanging onto?

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Reliving all these moments is a crappy way to start Monday morning. For me, his postseason and late season meltdowns are just so blatantly unacceptable that it is mind boggling that the owners haven't already done something. Barring some miracle, there won't be a WC game this year which makes two years in a row and no postseason wins in 7 years. Hell, he has only won a postseason game in 4 of his 17 years, been 1 and done 6 times and no postseason 7 times. The worst part is his last 2 playoff games, his squad was thumped by inferior teams. Jax loss was humiliating and then getting kicked in the junk by the brownies was just more of the same. How in the hell does the greatest franchise in the history of the NFL tolerate that crappy performance? That isn't even mediocre, that just plain sucks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    And the steelers have make the playoffs only twice in the last 6 years and in one of those,they needed help in the final week in 2021, like a huge upset by the worst team in the league (Jaguars) to just make the playoffs as the 7th seed

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Reading that post this morning was like someone dropped a turd in my Cheerios.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Anyone who thinks guys like TJ Watt are a dime a dozen should probably be in concussion protocol.