1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todd Haley top candidate to replace Cardinals' Ken Whisenhunt?????

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigsteelerfaninky, Dec 31, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it's clear as day that the Rooney's don't have 100% confidence in Tomlin or they wouldn't have overruled him like they did. I still to this day wonder who brought in Haley, Tomlin or the Rooney's. If Tomlin was against Haley coming, then I don't see anyway that Tomlin and Haley are going to co-exist long term.

I agree though, if you don't trust your HC to do what's necessary, then fire him, rather than babysit him.

2. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    He had a losing record with a horrible team, but look how far they fell after he left. He coached up Matt Cassell and had him playing very well, about as well as you can expect out of a mediocre game manager. Haley leaves and suddenly Matt Cassell is losing his job to Brady Quinn of all people, and KC scored 100 less points then the Browns. Say what you want, but when Haley was there with the exact same team, KC was a far better team.

Plus like you said, he took the Cards to the SB. They sure didn't get there because of their defence.

If Ben buys into the system and works hard, and if we get good play from the Oline, I believe we will be a very good offence next year. If Ben doesn't buy into the system, most people on here will say Haley has to go, even if it isn't his fault. I disagree. No one person is bigger than the team. If one person won't buy into something that makes the team better, that player needs to go, I don't care if it is the star QB. Nobody is bigger than the team and that message needs to be loud and clear.

Either way, Haley now has a feel for our awful Oline, Ben's style, our lack of quality RB's and our overrated WR's. He'll know what needs to be done to right the ship.

I have complete faith in him to make this offence better than ever, and as long as Ben buys in and plays well, I believe it will happen next year.

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This would be great and then we could bring the whiz back as off coord and get this offense back into high gear.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Always remember folks Big Ben runs the show
    in the Steel City!

5. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone have any idea what is going on with Ray Horton? Apparently he was retained by the Cards and is a leading candidate for their head coaching vacancy as well as being mentioned for others as well. Did he suddenly become good or is it just people are unfamiliar with his body of work.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Looks like the Haley to AZ rumors are pretty close to being put to bed.
    [tweet]286211348797460480[/tweet]
    [tweet]286222710571425792[/tweet]
    [tweet]286227748639346688[/tweet]

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Haley hasn't been with the Steelers long enough to go there

9. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  10. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    glad reid went somewhere .. he cant win with good players much less the cardinals roster.. good luck to that fat F

HINES

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    That's a bit harsh. I think Reid is a very good coach. He had a competitive team basically every year. I think he'll do fine with the Cards, if that's where he ends up. Look for their QB situation to get resolved quite quickly. Reid seems to have a very QB friendly system. All his QB's play very well.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, you were right about the clown who wrote that Haley article, the guy isn't a sports columnist, he's a gossip writer.

(this is directed at TTF, not you Hines)

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I also think Reid is a good coach. I really don't even see how he made it through this season under his circumstances. If I had just lost my son my job would be the LAST thing I would care about. ESPECIALLY if my job was dealing with the dumbest fans in all of pro sports. The people in Philly should be thankful for a guy like Andy Reid. Instead they probably booed him all the way to the airport. It would be funny if he went to AZ and made Kolb in to a perennial pro bowler.

14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Maybe Todd is content staying put and seeing how much patience the Rooney's have with Tomlin. Just a thought.

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't see how Todd Haley would be on anyone's short list for HC. He pretty much stunk it up in KC and got run. And one year under his belt in his latest gig has resulted in fielding an offense in the lower third in the league in terms of points and yards. Not exactly a stellar resume building season. We need to see if he can finally get this offense to stop underachieving. Until he can do that, the HC offers are not going to come. Heck, Bruce freakin Arians will get more looks than TH at this point.... Sad...

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Haley win the division with the chiefs then they couldn't stay healthy. Think about his last year there. He lost Charles in the first game castle soon after then the back up AMD I believe his back up. The chiefs came into Pittsburgh with palko as their starter. He also lost a few starters on defense.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    jack, what was so exceptional with up the middle run, then run up the middle, then throw. To me he is way too predicable and boring.i know we had a lot of fumbles, drop passes etc. but he didn't help with some of his play calling and schemes. The bubble screens to the wide recievers never did much, and we still are the worst at screen plays. Even the bad teams with less skilled players do this better. The offense problems in the second part of the season was not all his fault but he didn't help either. Haley also needs to do a better job next year.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don't see TH on any HC short list.

19. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of the Steelers and I try to keep current on what is happening. Having said that, I have always wondered how posters on a message board are privy to how much time Ben spends watching tape, studying and preparing for games. Do you, actually, know how much time he spends? Are you relying on what he says publicly? Are you speculating because of his game play on any paticular Sunday? I know this question might come across as sarcasm but if you know something I don't I would love to hear it!

20. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Haley isn't going anywhere. He said so himself. If he were going to be a HC, don't you think SOME media would have reported SOMEWHERE that he had asked for permission from the Steelers and had interviewed for one of the vacancies? Good Lord! It is 2 days after "Black Monday" and Haley is getting a head coaching gig already??!

21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

exactly ,he brought that team back from the dead, it was the key injuries that killed the chiefs

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes. Ben said in 2010 that while he was serving his suspension that he wanted to try and better himself mentally to play the game. He said it wasn't something that he had really focused on up to that point. That's what that is based on.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Based on the fact he said he was going to start doing something in 2010, we're presuming he isn't doing it in 2012?

I dunno about that logic...

However, it's true that Ben's general reading of the game has not been the best. Whether that's down to lack of prep, or always looking for the big play (early in the season he seemed to be dumping the ball off short more rather than forcing it... that seemed to go later on), or his injury... I suppose it's a moot point. My own view: if our best moments are no-huddle, sandlot football, then to hell with it, let's design plays that make that happen.

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    But our best moments were sandlot football, that isn't the case anymore. Ben isn't able to escape the rush like he used to. Sure, every now and then he makes a great play like the one to Heath, but most of the time he just ends up getting himself sacked or injures.

Ben isn't 25 anymore and his style hasn't worked well for us lately. He either needs to play the position right or he's not going to be successful. He played sandlot football the last half of the season and we lost almost all of those games

25. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011