1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Amos still here? Not Fired Yet? What a joke.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Pimply Dave, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Pimply Dave

Pimply Dave Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    So, Mike Tomlin keeps his good buddy Amos in charge of the "special" teams for another season? We have the worst special teams in the league, how in the world is this guy still here?

Tomlin cannot run a staff if he isn't canning this fool.

2. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    he started when season was already going. Give him a year to get his stuff ready. You cannot fire coaches all the time because there is no consistency.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I am willing to give one more year....but if no improvement hes gotta go

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would make Amos famous as the fastest man to ever leave Pittsburgh! Special Teams is the worst aspect of this team if you really think about it. If it takes you a whole season to get guys to stop holding then you really shouldn't be coaching. Honestly though I've thought our ST has sucked for a long time. That's the one phase of the game where we never seem to be a threat ya know?

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm worried about the tomlin's standards

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    One of my criticisms of Tomlin is that he seems to have trouble pulling the trigger on underperforming assistant coaches.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The standard is the standard...I think.

8. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Normally I would give a guy a chance to establish things...
    In this case, the special teams got even worse as the season wore on. I was actually surprised when we had a decent return and there was no flag.
    Sure, you can tell me that it's the players, but come on...really?!?! We have a history of poor special teams play and these guys set a new standard for being pathetic.

Perhaps that's what "the standard is the standard" REALLY means. The standard may be the standard, but when somebody consistently fails to live up to the standard, they are labeled as substandard.
    So I guess Tomlin is correct...the standard IS the standard! We just keep on plugging in substandard players who don't get the job done and this year it happened a few too many times.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Wow we're what 2 days after the regular season and not even officially into the off season and your *****ing because something hasnt been done yet? Wow relax only the HC changes come that quick. Will he be canned or won't he? Will he be kept and another coach added (like when Everest was here..and both worked with the ST)? Who knows...but jeez people give things time.

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I just hope if he IS gonna get the boot it comes quicker than the last canning. Dang I think most guys were getting dressed for week 1 when that decision was made.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You're right which leads me to believe there was a lot more to that story than we'll ever know. The guy definitely did something to REALLY piss Tomlin off.

12. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I wouldn't necessarily say that Amos is the Special Teams coordinator for next year just yet. The Steelers don't typically act on "Black Monday". Yesterday was a holiday. Players are doing their "exit interviews" first as Tomlin said in his press conference. This will be followed by coaches. I wouldn't expect to hear anything on whether Amos is going to stay or go until at least some time next week.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Quite so.

I presumed from this thread that he had a contract extension or something... it seems not, just some people have no patience.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's been here 5 years as the assistant ST's coach under 2 different special teams co-ordinators fired from here. they have had one good year in that time.:cool:

15. NashvilleCat

NashvilleCat Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2012
    The standard is substandard

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Amen brother, just one thing to add, what about an underperforming head coach?
    Cmon Rooney's lets jack up the pressure on this guy and find out truly what we have.
    Just like Lovi Smith, respectable but NO SUPERSTAR. This is what we have here in the STEEL CITY.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    and it's pretty evident too