1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The standard is mediocrity and inconsistency

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BLACKnGOLDsince72, Dec 4, 2023.

1. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe it’s just me but it feels like the Steelers have been stuck in a mud hole for at least the last 6 years running now and have no damn clue how to get out of it. Being a die hard fan for over 50 years now I’ve seen my share of bad Steeler teams but there was always a sense they’d pull out of it and get back on track. I simply don’t have that feeling anymore. Either the O line can’t come together or the secondary looks like Swiss cheese or we get subpar play from the QB position. If there’s anything consistent about this team, they’re totally inconsistent. This is year after year anymore. We plug in high draft prospects to fill gaps and very little changes while other teams around the league show noticeable improvement year to year. If it were not for several high profile standout players every year I’m pretty sure we would not be finishing seasons with a 500 or better win / loss record.

The only common thread through this time span has been Mike Tomlin. I’ve never been on the fire Tomlin band wagon but at this point I think the Steelers need a major change and parting ways with Tomlin might finally be what the Steelers need. Whatever it is I hope they find a way to get back on track again and very soon because this old guy isn’t getting any younger and I’d actually like to see them win another playoff game while I’m on this side of the dirt ☹️

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Injuries absolutely make a difference but I'll put it the way a little boy put it yesterday. "we don't have the best players in football".

• Like Like x 2
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Honestly, they've never recovered after the Tim Tebow OT loss. They basically haven't done squat since that game. Not saying it's because of that specific game/OT play, but that marks a spot where things just started going downhill and haven't stopped since.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    “The standard is the standard” is just as hollow as “just win baby”

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

We WISH that was the standard. It's much lower than that now and dropping season-by-season.
    We'll be the laughinstock 2-4 win team soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Do the Steelers wear cleats?

7. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    They were legit contenders for a few years when the Triple B's were in their prime. We just could never get over the Patriots hump and take that next step.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Belichek exposes Tomlin almost every time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This just in … the Rooney’s are packing up and moving to Costa Rica, cause Belichek owns the Pittsburgh Steelers.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    IDK. But I know they don't wear cups.

They don't need to. There's nothing to protect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ouch.

12. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    BREAKING NEWS: Maury Povich confirmed Bill Belichik is Tomlin’s Daddy.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Yeah, I've noticed that Tomlin has put that cliche on the shelf lately :lolol:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  14. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    We do what we do, we are who we are! We dont run from adversity we embrace it

15. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    You mean the jaguars, browns, and chiefs?

16. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015

I’m with you all the way. I’m 82 been a Steelers fan since 1958 and I to also saw some bad times with it like you mentioned they always found a way out. I agree that Tomlin has to go alone with some coaches but if the Rooney’s don’t get there head out of the sand we maybe a long way to recovery. At this stage of the game I definitely would start Mason. Pickett to me is an accident waiting to happen and Trubiski should be the water boy. A
    I asked the board a few weeks ago if the Rooney’s attend any of the games and I was told they attend all of them. If they are not seeing what we the fans seeing we are in deep trouble.

17. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Do we as fans over-rate our own players? Do we hype ourselves into thinking we are going to the playoffs every year. Maybe our players aren't as good as we think they are.

18. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    The offense is a mess, but defense really lives and dies with the guys rushing off edge and I don't like that.

We TJ Watt isn't saving our butts, this team can't stop anyone.

19. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I always want the Steelers to win but my bro and I were talking and we said the worst thing could happen is they rally and win 3 of 4 and then Tomlin gets an extension. We would be stuck in this **** show for another 3 or 5 years. I can take the losses if the end result is the coaching staff is completely turned over!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Look at the other head coaches during games in the NFL. They are busy looking at play charts, making decisions and giving instructions. Then, look at Tomlin. He's completely disengaged and simply an observer. He obviously has delegated everything to the assistants. He's as worthless as teats on a boar hog during games. His management off the field has been horrendous as well. It will take years for the Steelers to recover from this awful decade+ of incompetence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yes. Without a doubt some fans overrate the Steelers and underrate every single opponent. Fans on this board claimed we had all of the pieces in place after the draft. Keep in mind they hadn’t even made it to rookie minicamp yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    We couldn’t be farther apart on Tomlin but I agree a lot on here thought we had this incredible roster including QB. It’s certainly not looking to be the case. This team has a lot of holes on both sides of the ball (injuries don’t help especially at ILB)