1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Fields

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Dec 11, 2023.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Great post and very fair analysis on Kenny. I have been very rough on him because he has looked so bad but given the state of this entire team who could thrive here? This is about as dysfunctional as it gets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Agree. QBs get worse on this team. Fields would not help. That is not the change we need.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tanker65

Tanker65 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I think it is more specualtion honestly, I see a couple analysts running with the Justin Fields speculation

Dan Orlovsky: Justin Fields Would Be Upgrade At QB For Steelers - Steelers Depot

Steelers Could Make Move for Bears QB (msn.com)

4. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Good post. i'd definitely beef up the QB room. I just shake my head with all the couch potatoes that can't be bothered with Pickett as he's running for his life.

5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    That's where I am with Fields, too. Some that have seen him regularly say he's a victim of poor coaching. Some say he's a bust and life as a career back-up is his ceiling. I think he's currently better than anyone we have but they need a really good coordinator and some more pieces on the offensive line before they need another damn project like they have now.

6. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Huh? Dak Prescott first 2 years had 45 TD's and almost 7000 yards passing. Kenny has 13 TD's and about 4000 yards. Prescott had one bad year in 2020 where he only threw 9 TD's, which is better than Kenny's best so far.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fields is an enormous talent but I’d have to see what they would need to give up to get him here, plus who our OC would be. I have no faith in this current staff to get Fields to take the next step.

If you gave up draft picks just to insert him into this offense and expect him to elevate it, that would be a mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022

Not tbe point at all. Even Dallas fans said they wanted Dak gone all the way up until about a month ago. It's gone on and on for years. They said, "nope, not the guy". They look like fools now.

You also forgot to mention that Dallas had the best Offensive Line in football Dak's first few years. Some said it was an embarrassment of riches. But by all means, keep the upside down smile on when it comes to Kenny. You'll have to wear it next year as well. Seems healthy!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022
    The ONLY way you'd move on from Pickett right now is if he was a turnover machine/was reckless with the ball and he's the exact opposite. He might very well not end up being the guy, but we picked him too high to throw him out with no offensive line and a new OC coming in. Next year will obviously pivotal for him, but the only smart thing to do next year would be to build and offensive line around him and get better back ups.

10. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
    You know who else the fans said "nope, not the guy" to? Jake Locker, Blake Bortles, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert. All of whom who put up better numbers than Kenny. Were those fans correct or incorrect?

And, oh btw, Kenny has had more time to throw than the average NFL Qb this year, so another excuse gone.

11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Yeah and we will get at least 6 tds a yr ! Hooray

12. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022

Kenny hit recievers more often than not when he has time. You've already made up your mind. Sux for since you'll have to watch him next year. Have fun beiing mad. LMAO!

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The Brees thing was a scheme fit. Brees became who he is because he went from a team that HEAVILY built their offense around LaDanian Tomlinson (and rightfully so), to a team that built the offense around Brees' capabilities. He was a good player in a bad scheme fit. He threw 51 TD's in his final two seasons in San Diego....

It just feels like grasping for straws when it comes to defending Pickett. The reality is that he faces a league average amount of time to throw but is among the 3-4 worst NFL starters in both on target % and off target %... I don't think a system change is going to be the key for him. What system benefits an inaccurate QB that struggles reading defenses?

It's not that his mechanics are bad and can be improved, his mechanics are proper. He is inaccurate because he either delivers bad throws from a clean pocket or he gets happy feet and delivers bad throws due to inconsistent footwork. I personally think his particular flaws are going to be VERY hard to overcome and improve on when he's had the reps to be at least proficient at it by now. He isn't some young rookie anymore, he's a 25 game vet. He should be more accurate, poised, and capable of reading the NFL defense by now... I fear these are things that he's peaked at. I guess we will find out, because this organization is allergic to change even when its warranted (see Canada). We're gonna roll Pickett out for better or for worse in 2024.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That is actually an inaccurate statement. Of non-rookie starters, he is better than only Justin Fields in % of on target passes. He is better than only Watson and Love in % of off target passes (again only including non-rookie starters). He faces a league average amount of pressure. The sad truth is that Kenny is a very inaccurate QB regardless of pressure.

You are right however. We will be forced to watch Kenny QB this team again in 2024 in all likelihood. That fact sucks for the fans, the WR's, the offense, and really the organization as a whole. The only thing that is uncertain is how many games Pickett makes it before he gets benched for good.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Brees really didn't figure things out until his fourth season in the NFL, though he was actually still with the Chargers. He was very good for them in 2004 and 2005, then he hurt his shoulder in a playoff game. The Chargers had spent a first-round pick on Rivers in 2004, so they decided to move on. Then Brees took an even bigger step forward with Sean Payton in New Orleans.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Hind sight is always great, but in what universe do you think we were in a prime position to get Stroud? Where we were at it would have taken most if not all the top picks for 2 years and likely a 3rd first to move up, and while we would have had a center we would not have a LT (in waiting), or much of anything else. That's one of the problems being just good enough to be mediocre, we draft in the middle teens to twenty and are never going to get the QB every one drools over.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    God I hope not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watching what Nagy has done with Mac Jones this year, poor coaching may have been Fields biggest problem.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    My scenario is not based off where they actually finished....its based off if Trubisky and Rudolph had been the primary QBs for the 2022 season and Linderbaum had been drafted instead of Pickett. I couldnt see the Steelers winning more then 3-4 games in 2022 under a Canada led offense and no TJ watt for half the year with Trubisky and Rudolph qb the team. That would have put them in the top 5 draft spot which there is not much difference between 2 through 5 in the draft so the draft capital at stake you're talking about is not relevant in my scenario. At the most they would have been swapping draft picks over the next couple of years, not giving up draft picks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  20. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
    What happened to "for years and years to come"? Now I see it's down to 1 more year.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I listen to Cowherd as I drive for work, simply because Fox sports is the only radio we get locally (sad I have to justify him lmao). Anyway one thing he has been harping on for days is O minded HC vs, D minded HC and the recent success of so many back up QB's. It may have semblance, but not having a good OC and QB coach (both of whom are free to do their jobs) can have and leave a negative impact on really good prospects,

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    One can only hope. I'm not banking on it though.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I just posted a segment of him saying that somewhere on here. I have to agree with him.

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I know injuries happen, but I cannot remember ever seeing how many back ups have started this year, let alone nearly 1/3 of the league in one week. It may have happened before and its just the media coverage is so rampant, but from the start of the season until now the number has been staggering.

25. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022
    No, i was told to nip it. So I did. Have fun kicking rocks in 2024/2025.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1