1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Bye Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I am now officially on the fire Mike Tomlin bandwagon. Three times during the final six minutes of that debacle against the Patriots, an average coach would have salvaged at least OT. First down was a Harris run for four yards from our forty-yard line. Good call on first down. Clock stopped with 2:14 until two-minute warning. Second down pass in the flat for six yards and clock stopped with 2:04 left. Excellent call and execution. The Steelers could not be in a better situation. Third and two from our forty-eight-yard line. This is the only opportunity to run the ball and get a time out since no Steeler time-outs remained. This was the second to worst call possible. Not only a pass with very poor probability for success and stopped the clock with 2:01 left. Now it's Chinese fire drill time for the fourth and two. A run would either have gained the necessary yardage and given a time out to set strategy for getting into field goal range or not getting the first down would have given a time out to set up a good play to get the first down on fourth and one. We all know the bone headed call on fourth and two. I do not support a coach who can't understand this after fifteen years of coaching arguably the best NFL franchise in history. I wonder how many NFL coaches are this stupid about down and distance and situational play calling? I really wish I knew the answer to that question. Maybe there are only five or six coaches smart enough to understand this and that is why the same five of six fare well in the playoffs. Mabe thirty-one coaches understand this, and Tomlin is the only one who doesn't. I'll never know the percentage of NFL coaches who have a grasp of fundamental down and distance and situational play calling. I do know that Tomlin does not understand this rudimentary concept and therefore should not remain as head coach for the Steelers. Rant over!

• Like Like x 3
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

as I have stated COUNTLESS times, my WISH is that post season, an amicable meeting occurs in which both Rooney and Tomlin agree that MT's regime is over and he is given the Royal Thank You and Good Bye.

3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

you just got there?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mike Tomlin will fall on the sword at the end of 2023.
    It is not hard to see that.

5. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Steelers owners too cheap to fire Tomlin with a year left on contract. same reason we kept Canada. We will be stuck with him and crappy offense and overrated d for another year.

6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No, I think Mr Rooney has seen the writing on the wall.

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it is the last year of his contract (2024) - end the season w 6 straight losses - and THAT might do it!!! or 5 of 6

the classic TOMLIN SWOON!!!!!

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't buy into the race thing at all. Plenty of black coaches have been fired. I just don't think that's why the media gives him a pass. I do know some think that though. I hope that doesn't play into the Rooney's keeping him, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the media's love for him

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Well I knew he wasn't an X's and O's kinda coach. This display was beyond absurd. There is no possible way to excuse that lack of football acumen.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This was always bull**** and it should have stopped the minute Brett Kiesel recovered Kurt Warner's fumble to clinch Super Bowl XLIII. Tomlin deserved that job. He proved that a long time ago. It's past time for them to move on now, but the whining about diversity should have stopped 15 years ago, if not from day one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Listening to Tomlin's Presser now, Alot of ummms, and he is exicited for this week............... a few excuses here and there, ...............................................................................................

He is worthless,

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Bull****, then you explain why Tomlin hasnt done anything with the team in 10-12 years..... i guess your happy with non loosing seasons and low draft picks... Tomlins a hack, always been a hack and always will be a hack

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Problem starts with Rooney

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Well the only options are:

1. Fired (never happening)
    2. Extension
    3. Traded

15. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Give Tomlin a chance he has 4 games to win 2 for the non-losing season to continue!:roflmao::clapping::dancing::applaud::hehehe:

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    4 Retirement?? Unless he is willing to keep taking $ for doing a poor job

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    See there’s that non- losing season thing. Seems like the only people really talking about it are the ones obsessed with Tomlin.

18. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    More like a royal F U and goodbye. Everyone knows he had all his success his first few years with the previous regimes foundation. Not only players but culture and leadership. Since then? Zilch unless you count 8-8 or 9-7 seasons a success.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You think he was going to step down over two games out of a 17-year career. Seriously?

20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    When you have lost it, you have lost it. That is what players always say when they are asked to walk away from the game.

Tomlin fired Canada for the exact same reason he needs to be fired. He has lost it, time to hang it up.

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I didn't think that way but it's a good point. That will be interesting to follow. I'm under the assumption he'll get tired of the booing and fire Tomlin stuff next season and retire but that is also assuming the Steelers have a bad season and that remains to be seen.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Doesn't this create an infinity loop.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is a good take and may have a chance. ?? Now watch the Steelers go 11-6 (don't ask me how) and everything changes in the Tomlin discussion.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible, but that is far from a sure thing. The Steelers have been patient with coaches through far worse. This team could easily still finish 9-8 or 10-7 and miss the playoffs, which would make pushing Tomlin out a tough sell no matter how much many of us would want it to happen.

It looks like many in the local media have turned on him. The Tribune-Review, for example, has run a couple of articles about the Steelers' history of late-season collapses under Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Losing it looks entirely different for a player and far less subjective and they still often don't see it. I could see Tomlin deciding he doesn't want to deal with the crap that comes with the job any more, but I doubt he is going to think he is done after two ugly games. The guy is only 51. That is still relatively young for an NFL head coach. How many of us will have a rough patch at 51 and think we are done and need to do something else?