1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't believe the roster is a HC/OC/QB away from a championship at all. There's many holes in this roster that needs addressed the upcoming off-season and the next 2-3.

Needs moving forward:

2-3 WR. Was hoping Austin and Robinson filled those spots but been on milk cartons all season

1-2... CB Wallace is meh and P² is washed. Rush and Trice are indeed options, but I'd prefer not to lazily fall back on them.

Box S... sucks we're playing Fitz at box. He's more suited for mof

C/T... Can't say enough on how much we need a T opposite Jonthen.

QB is definitely the most important piece, but I'd much prefer a more sound team with draft capital to make moves in the draft to get our QB of the future. Treading water and winning games at the last minute isn't the making of a SB contender. It would be nice to address these needs in the draft and FA, but it's going to take 2 or 3 drafts to build something more legit and sound.

Tomlin is either getting an extension or he's on his way out himself. Zero way you can attract a Kubiak for OC with a HC that's a lame duck..

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    An organization is driven and is a reflection of the top. If we were any other team in this league, who here would think we'd be still dealing with a HC this long without doing crap in post season for so long? This organization has been burning and turning in the same rut since the 70's thinking the old ways are the sure ways. Well, this gets exposed when a HC that was carried by former HC players and a HOF QB has to ante up and make things happen without them. So far, I'd day we're in a world of sh!t. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He is too buddy, buddy with his coaches and players.

Some of his coaches stick around too long, and some of his players need to be sat down if they are going to throw fits or take plays off

4. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I'm so tired of the he will have another job immediately. I don't think he will. Years of having teams not prepared and being out coached by rookie coaches like in Houston earlier this year. These so called experts like Eisen hold little merit with me if they have this absolutely stupid opinion. Even RC says his message is not getting through to these players. He stopped short and said he don't think coach T should be fired but what do you expect him to say. The fact he said what he did was enough for me.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not as simple as just the QB and HC/OC for sure, but this team does have a really good amount of talent that we are wasting away.

I'm not convinced our WR room is in desperate need. Our WR's would look a lot better with adequate NFL caliber QB play. Hard to evaluate that with how poor Pickett and Trubisky have been this season (and last for that matter). The only one we have actually seen with adequate QB play is a very good player and that is DJ, and he is languishing running free in the secondary with no one to get him the rock. Pickens is talented enough, we just haven't been able to get him the ball. Austin could be a guy too, have we had a Steelers QB make it to his 3rd read and deliver a ball accurately once this season? No.

CB certainly needs some help. We got a lot younger and more talented with the additions of Porter and Trice, but we need more work. Rush is a good project to have too, but we do need another guy at least. We either go CB early-ish in the draft again or sign someone in FA that hopefully works out better.

S is a need too. Neal is meh and we really didn't upgrade from Edmunds. I'd love to resign Edmunds as a 3rd S option/box guy. Keep Thompson around and swing again in the draft or in FA.

OL. Yeah Cole has sucked and Moore has been weak as well. We probably go work to find other guys. IDK if that is the draft or FA, but those 2 positions could very easily be replaced on the line.

The point I am trying to make is that every team has holes (unless you're the Eagles right now), even high end teams have a couple position groups they don't feel that great about going into the season. The great equalizer is QB play. The teams that succeed have good QB play. The teams that don't... don't. We have the capability of beating teams like the Ravens because we have as much talent as them. We have the capability of losing to the Cards and the Pats all the same because we have the worst QB room in the league. I'm not under the illusion that we hire a new coaching staff and get a new QB and all of the sudden were 13-0... But we are still in playoff position right now and we have poor coaching and poor QB play. How much better would we be if we were just adequate there? You don't have to be the best team to win it all. You just need to get to the dance and have your QB play great football in the postseason and have the defense make enough plays to seal the deal. With an NFL average coaching staff and NFL average QB we make the playoffs this year without sweating it at all. We are closer than people think, but that QB position is hard to get sorted the way we need it to be.

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he might be, MIGHT

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    After the last 2 games, I'm all for drafting another QB in the first round. This is a good year to draft QBs. 6 of them are considered NFL ready.

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    We're a lot closer to the Bears in terms of talent. In fact, I'd do a firesale and dump off anyone itching towards 30 & above. This team won't be competitive until 2025, at the earliest and that's if Kenny turns it around with a new OC. If he doesn't, things get pushed back to 2026.

And who besides Pickens and DJ are worth a damn, those two are barely #1 and #2 WRs? MHJr would instantly be WR1 here.

9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not... if Kenny isn't him, very easy to do a tank next year.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers need to draft a QB for competition even if it isn't in the first round. I haven't given up on Pickett... but we need Pickett + draft pick + FA QB not named Trubisky or Rudolph in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I hear ya. I'm just most all about trading away value and doing a hard reset. Totally not against going with Mason, if need be. It'll suck, but will be beneficial in the long run.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't necessarily agree. The only reason why we are closer to the Bears in terms of talent is because our QB situation is bottom of the league. We have garbage play at the most important position on the team and still sitting in playoff contention with 4 games to go. That is a testament to the strength of the rest of the roster. Strong QB play would cure a lot of ailments instantly. I feel that our defense when healthy is good enough to compete with a quality offense. Sure, there are places where we can improve (and we should be continuously trying to improve both sides of the ball) but we've been middle of the road with a garbage offense for the better part of 2 years. An NFL average offense sees us competing for the North crown and making the playoffs quite comfortably. There are still places where we can improve the team, but we are far closer to being a playoff team than we are being a top 5 pick even with the worst QB room in the league.

Most teams don't have 2 WR's, some not even 1 guy. Robinson is past his prime, but has been a solid WR in the league. Austin is still young and is under utilized because our QB can't get through his reads quick enough to find him on his 3rd or so read. Kenny's averaged 179 passing yards a game for his career and 75 ypg of that goes to Najee/Warren and Freiermuth. There is only about 100 yards to spread out for the entire WR room. There's just no yardage to go around because our QB's suck. Can't really evaluate that as a weakness until the QB position gets fixed.

I'm not sure what Marvin Harrison Jr. has to do with it... he's probably the best WR prospect coming out of college since Megatron. He'd be the WR1 on more than half the NFL teams the second he stepped on the field.

13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    The whole "He will be hired immediately" thing is silly and a red herring. Nobody here cares whether he will be rehired immediately. I hope he does to and that offsets any money we have to pay if we have the balls to fire him this year. The belief should be the team doesn't believe he can get us back to the Super Bowl. If that is the belief you move on, otherwise AR2 retains him if he believes he can.