1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin needs to quit or be fired

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL Belichick is setting the Patriots up to have QB options in the draft, they will be fine long term.

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What was the genius theory of calling timeouts with only a minute left in the first half? He did the cards a favor, if that idiot didn't use the timeouts if would've forced the cards into a FG situation.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I cant wait to see the fake presser guy do his video after that game yesterday!!

4. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I think the assumption was we stuff them and get ball back in good field position and I guess somehow move the ball into FG range with Mitch. LOL

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The team couldn't get a TD in the first 29 mins. Did the genius think a turnover may happen and they'll just march down the field with no timeouts? The Toronto Maple Leafs coach is just as dumb. I have to put up with 2 morons.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011

7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem confused

9. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I dont see Tomlin as the coach in 2024. Khan went out and got Tomlin a bunch of guys and this is how they perform. Think Omar and Andy are ready to move on in 2024.

10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I probably am. I still root for this team and I ask myself why sometimes.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  12. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I usually tune out the fire Tomlin talk. I think it is very similar to what we are seeing with Pickett. Even Ben a lot of his career, especially in the later half. If the team loses, fire everyone. Like the whole fire Canada thing that turned into a national meme, and every "fire *insert coordinator* phase we have seen over the decades. So many people think that firing someone and bringing someone else in will instantly solve the problem. How many coaches stick for over five years? Hmm? Not many. There are a handful of coaches that are top tier that last a while but most do not. Does Tomlin deserve blame for losing? Yes. Does he deserve credit for a 7-5 record and good chance at a playoff spot with so many injuries and an either bad or still developing QB? Yes. Let the season play out and see what happens. I personally think the talent on offense is really bad. I don't put as much blame on the defense because the offense can't score and up until recently had a hard time staying on the field so the defense was always exhausted. But they are still 7-5. How perfect do the Steelers have to be before people lay off the Tomlin criticism? Would people still complain if they were 9-3 and lost to a bad team? Yes.

If you want Madden-score blowout victories to feel satisfied, complain about the QB not throwing to wide open receivers for TDs. That's not Tomlin's job.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The Tomlin debate is more complex than assessing those that want him fired think anybody would do a better job, or that those that defend against it think he's the best coach ever. There's much more nuance to consider if one approaches it rationally.

Naturally, no new coaching hire comes with a guarantee that they won't actually do a worse job than the person they're replacing. But that risk can't keep an organization from balancing it against the deficiencies they perceive the current coach has in getting them to where they want to be. (Of course this in itself opens another debate over what one thinks Rooney's expectations actually are.)

With respect to something you touched on above, one could see a 7-5 record as an achievement given the QB play. And to a degree it is. But one could also ask why in the world it took Tomlin another 10 full games to decide his OC was severely overmatched in the NFL. That decision (and the one to put him in the role to begin with) has had a huge negative impact on the team. They have a generational talent on the other side of the ball, along with several other talented (and high-priced) players that are stuck taxiing the runway while waiting for the offense to get on board.

Life in the NFL moves pretty fast; the violent nature of the game and salary cap restrictions make it hard to hold a group together. Wasting the years of a player of Watt's caliber, while stunting the potential development of only the second first-round QB the organization has taken in the past 43 years, so you can mull over whether to stick with Matt Canada is pretty damning.

And Tomlin has been here before. Back in 2010 he was having trouble protecting his franchise QB. For the next few years the team invested draft picks on trench and skill players to remedy the problem, and eventually did, but not before a defense that was second-best in the league in yards allowed in 2010 - and best in 2011 & 2012 - then aged out and fell to 13th in 2013, 18th in 2014.

Tomlin isn't the worst coach in the league. But he's often presented a maddening dichotomy of putting together some really talented groups that he hamstrings with a combination of poor decisions and lack of discipline/preparation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    So because we are scared of change we should just stick with a HC who now will have 3 playoff wins in 13 years?? It’s not all MTs fault but he is the face of a once proud franchise that is becoming more irrelevant by the day.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tomlin took over when the Steelers had gold players. It's why his record doesn't look as bad as it deserves to look.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

You know, I do know those guys.... not as well as my Dad did.
    I've never heard nor ever hinted that they sit back in those David Michael chairs, light a Gurkha Cigar and pour a shot of Blanton's Single Malt and say:
    "We did good today, lots of seats filled."

We convince ourselves that the evil empire behind the curtain is behind this though.
    Art doesn't take any concession when his team loses and like any owner except the one that owns the Pittsburgh Pirates, hates it when he sees a lot of opposing team jersey's in the stands.

In the end, it is his football guys that he puts in place.
    So I do agree at some point he has to take an action. But some tempering needs to be in place.
    *Omar is really a first-year guy, he has been a familiar face no doubt.
    * They did fire Canada.
    * Changes won't happen mid-season.
    * Like it or not, Tomlin has a TON of creed in this league. That's just a fact we all have to come to terms with.
    * They may fire him, but he deserves the respect to finish it out (the season).

This is not to harp on you.
    It is more of a general thought that some decisions might already be in place and have to play out - We will never know. No Beat Reporter will know until its time.
    I'm not against a change of the guard. At the same time, I could see some revamped changes that could recharge this team.
    Like 2 WR's that are not head cases.
    An OL that can block
    An OC that can take advantage of what we have.

I for one am anxious to see what happens.

Two very good viewpoints. At least some decent observations.

To add to this.
    It really takes all units to build a good franchise. By units I mean the front office, scouting, weight programs, coaching staff, players.

At the top of what I'll label as player acquisition:
    Omar Khan General Manager
    Dan Rooney Jr. Vice President of Player Personnel
    Andy Weidl Assistant General Manager
    Sheldon White Director of Pro Scouting

I'd note there is some nepotism within the organization. But that's another story.

This staff came up with a draft
    RD(PK) PLAYER POS SCHOOL
    1(14) Broderick Jones OT Georgia ----- I didn't understand the delay getting him into the lineup. Silly.
    2(1) Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn State ----- I think Porter is going to turn out to be a good player in the long run.
    2(18) Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin ----- 2nd round? This was a reach.
    3(30) Darnell Washington TE Georgia ---- 3rd round. Ok, help for the OL.
    4(30) Nick Herbig OLB Wisconsin ----- Nick has come up with some big plays.
    7(24) Cory Trice CB Purdue ---- 7th rounders rarely impress me. Trice is on IR.
    7(34) Spencer Anderson OG Maryland ---- Hasn't really contributed but in the 7th round, adding to the OL stable isn't bad.

It's tough to bat 1000 in any draft. They did get some contributors and the way I look at drafts is I don't really grade it overall until the 3rd year.
    So, we got some players it looks like. Jones and Porter might be Steeler stars.

Free Agency:
    + The went out and got Cole Holcomb. I happen to know Cole very well. This was a nice acquisition but Cole promptly came up lame and is now on IR not helping the team at all.
    ~ They add another LB in Elandon Roberts. A nothing special type of signing, very low risk. Roberts has come up lame and really is a risk in the passing game.
    - Patrick Peterson - Normally I would like such a signing when a young gun like Porter is drafted but Peterson has been abused in the passing game. It might have been better to have kept Sutton.
    + Isaac Seumalo OG, Nothing special but a positive addition.
    + Nate Herbig - I mark Herbig as a positive as he provided decent depth.

Overall, the Free Agents they let walk are of no real consequence, aside from Sutton. I think Free Agency is on the plus side though they could have done better.

Cap Management - The Steelers are about $7 mil over, they are going to have to do better. Omar and Company do not have much dead cap space wasted, that's a positive.

What did coaching do with the acquisitions?
    Well Matt Canada is gone. His terrible Offensive design was JV to the core. Unfortunately, the front office shoulders this blame as Matt should have been fired at the end of 2022. You cannot rebuild your offensive system midseason and Rookie QB Kenny Pickett will pay the price for this. Shame, shame, shame.

Broderick Jones should have been playing day 1. He looked good in preseason and once he got in during the season, he has had a very good impact on the OL. Dan Moore and Mason Cole are problematic. Winning the war in the trenches is huge. Coaching has failed to get the best out of the OL as the run game is barely functional (yet somehow Warren has managed to provide spark) and is porous in the pass game. Again, your young franchise QB will pay the price for this.

QB - When you draft a Franchise QB you are supposed to provide the best tools for him to succeed. Canada's system can best be described as set up to fail and provided nothing to aid the cause. Head case receivers, DJ and talented Pickens, both have the skills to be very good in this game, but they seem focused more on drama. The Steelers must find solid WR's (Terry McLaurin types - He a real pro, a man among boys). After Pickens and DJ, the talent drops off a lot. total failure in Coaching and player Acquisitions.

The Defensive side has carried the team to the current record with smoke and mirrors and superhero TJ Watt. The pass defense will drive one crazy. They need another CB and some competent depth. I think the Steelers could/should upgrade the DB's coaching tree. I feel like getting the best out of what they have is not really happening.

Mike Tomlin is the Head Coach and like it or not, he is a VERY respected coach in the NFL. I think he has lost some edge, and his staff is not up to spec. Whatever the reason is that the team doesn't go out and get the best coaches, it needs to go away. Tomlin needs a Top-Notch Offensive Coordinator in the offseason, one that can develop a Franchise type QB. It is disgusting that Kenny Picket is just going to wind up a f%%$#g casualty to this system. This will set the franchise behind as it is going to cost to seek out a new one. And Fields IS NOT an option. Never place hope in a failure.

So, it's long winded, but still a high-altitude viewpoint. Omar and company have a plate full of issues to solve in the off season and limited cap space. You can't solve everything. My list would be:
    1 - Offensive Coordinator. I'm not listing any, it is their job to find them.
    2 - Cap Management - Gotta get some room. Gotta open space 'down the road.' Stay out of cap hell.
    3 - Upgrade Offensive line
    4 - Find some WR's that are not head cases.
    5 - Upgrade staff
    6 - Depth. Really need the scouting staff to mine some sleepers out of this draft.
    7 - QB. This one angers me so frigging much. I cannot express how pathetic the failure is. They did zip to make this work. At this point, I just want them to make Kenny trade bait and Kenny get the hell out to a better situation. Stay away from Washington and New York Jets - Denver might be a good landing spot. F minus, minus in QB development.
    7A - If you're going for a QB and you believe in him, do what it takes to secure it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah

I feel for ya

I’ve been rooting for them so long I just don’t know any better

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Post pic

:smiley1:

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

This will draw the ire of some here.

Rooney won’t fire Tomlin but what I wish he would do is force him to bring in real established coordinators. I believe that would make a major impact on this team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Imo... Tomlin has earned another year. This team should have maybe the or for wins this year. How we have won seven is beyond me.

21. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    even if Tomlin has another non-losing season should he go some of u think so:fright::confused1::confused1::confused1::confused1:

22. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    And both then prospered. What's not to like?

23. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    What is Tomlin's contract status? Sorry if I missed it.

24. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    And the Eagles won a Super Bowl without Reid. They BOTH prospered. Why are folks ignoring this?

I don't care if Tomlin goes to another ready-to-win team and lucks into a SB win. Unlike Reid, who is a REAL X and O coach, Tomlin will take any good team and decimate it over the coming few years. He's just short of completely incompetent when it comes to game planning and X's and O's. Tomlin needed, badly, to spend time as an HC at the high school level for 10 years.

25. Michael E

Mar 2, 2022
    Mike Tomlin and Andy Reid. One isn't like the other. One can really coach and plan. One can't do either at even a high school level. I don't need to say which is which, obviously.