1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on Teryl Austin as DC?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Do you think he's doing a good job since he's been our DC?

What are your thoughts on him (the good and the bad)?

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He seems to have inherited Keith Butler's maddening habit of rushing only three at the worst possible times, which makes me think Tomlin has a hand in it.

That said, Austin deserves some credit for the success of the defense over the last month or so. They haven't given up more than 20 points since the loss to the Texans Oct. 1, and the Jaguars are the only opponent to reach 20 points against them in that time. This is with an offense that doesn't score points and hadn't been helping much in time of possession until recently. Austin has also helped them continue to adapt despite a series of damaging injuries, including the loss of both starting inside linebackers for the season and Minkah Fitzpatrick for the past four games. The last two weeks, the defense has had to incorporate two new starters who were just up from the practice squad and they have done it well. The defensive coordinator deserves some credit for that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Again, I think this is an area where they should/could look at to inject some new concepts.
    I'm not necessarily saying fire Austin, just upgrade or make additions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard to tell - on one hand we've had terrible luck with ILB injuries. On the other, we've had success in the turn-over generation. I haven't looked at the overall standings of the defense lately but I thought we were lower on the list for various categories like yards. However, recently we've done much better against the run.

5. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    They are still only 25th in yards but if we look at the PPG stats,they are now 5th...Of course it helped that in the last two games, we played against 2 backup QBs who are probably not NFL caliber.The next test for this defense will be vs colts in 2-3 weeks....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Browns have put up points with crappy quarterbacks, but couldn't do it against the Steelers. With the exception of two games in which the entire team sucked, the defense has been making it difficult for opponents to score all season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Lebeau was the same where they give up the underneath to not get beat over the top late in games so it becomes prevent defense that in this pass happy league seems to hurt you more than it helps. Maybe the stats over all teams over a number of years says no but man it feels more often than not in the big games that is going to kill you. Didn't Brady set the record a few years ago how fast he went down the field with like 19 seconds left or some crazy amount of time to score? I would rather go down trying to bring pressure and force the QB's hand than to ask your defense to try to get in hom with 3 guys and the QB have all day to maneuver around and go threw all his reads.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see more of rookie Herbig, This guy needs to be on field,
    He makes plays,They have to figure out how to get him on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is so funny. I was going to say I wished we had promoted Flores to DC, but I just watched Flores's Vikings do the same damn thing in their loss to the Bears.

The Vikings were kicking ass all game long and then on that final drive of the game they decide to sick back and give Field time. Why!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    They gave up only 12 points vs bears and overall,the vikings defense have been much better that last season and this is not close

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    The defense has kept us in games in spite of a dismal offense

With even an average offense the defense statistics would be very good

Ditto Scribes 3 man rush comment

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not a fan. To much bend not break, to much play it safe and hope Watt and Highsmith do something

I'm a blitzburgh guy.. I like an attacking defense....I miss Dick Lebeau style... never knowing where the pressure is coming from.. take away the rush no matter what and make a team one dimensional

HACK

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I loved this approach as much as the next steeler fan. My issue toward the end of Lebeau’s tenure was his scheme would get eaten up by top tier QBs with a short to medium range passing game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    I feel like the defense gets a little bit of a pass on the yards allowed. The offense was horrific for most of the year, which led to lopsided time of possession and extra opportunities for the opposing offense. In spite of all that, we are in a good spot in terms of points allowed per game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I’d like the corners to play up on the receivers more, I don’t like the 5+ yard cushion we give, that’s how we get burned by those slants

overall though it’s hard to argue with the results. I’m sure Austin will be back

However how good would we be without TJ? I remember we looked pretty vulnerable when he was hurt last year. Does Austin have any contingency plan in case TJ can’t play? Shouldn’t he? Didn’t seem he had much of a plan last year

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The ILBers play was so much better this season.

Now they’re gone.

So this isn’t the finished product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    I agree with this and would go a little further in also recognizing we missed Heyward and Fitzpatrick for a stretch each.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    5th best defense in the league. All that needs to be said.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Up until now, he was too dependent on the talent. With the ILB and secondary depleted he seems to be able to scheme well.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Plus Muth, plus didn't use Broderick much at first of season PLUS horrible play calling.

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't follow the NFC to close but I'm guessing Kyler Murray is better then last 2 QB's we played but not to scary for our boys.

22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Through week 12 we are 25th in total defense. 21st in rush and 24th in pass.

From FOX Sports. Pretty sure it's good.

23. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I don't get that either. The quarterback is the MOST critical part of a desperation throw. Pressure him and you increase your chances to stop the play. Let him have all day to scan the field, set up and step into his throw only increases the odds in favor of the offense. Alabama had a fourth and goal from the 31 with 2 seconds remaining in the game. Auburn rushed two with a qb spy not rushing at all. The quarterback literally had ten or twelve seconds to throw and he found a receiver in the corner of the endzone and beat Auburn. The most bone headed defense I have ever seen. Auburn deserved to lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    It’s the players that are making this defense. TJ Watt is a beast. We have not won a single game when he is out.

25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Not this year we haven't, as he hasn't missed any time.
    Last year we defeated Tampa Bay without him in the infamous "I didn't divorce my wife to lose to Kenny Fu**ing Pickett" game.