1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I have a coaching question about the OC Haley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Dec 27, 2012.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Does anyone think he may have a single playbook and teams he has faced before know it? The reason I ask is with the exception of the Raiders game which was a defensive melt down for the most part, this team struggled badly against KC, San Diego, and Denver. Denver had some things happen like the pick 6 but it was like defenders knew routes and formations because it was kind of strange how recievers who were once getting open with regularity couldn't shake any of the KC defenders and struggled against the chargers and the Broncos secondary was close on every play the entire game. In fact as the season wore on teams seem to have us dialed in and it makes me believe that Haley may not be the OC everyone thinks he is.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    No,
    All Offensive and Defensive Coordinators must have a wide variety of plays which the team must perform to near flawless perfection in order to have the success needed in winning games in the NFL or at any level for that matter. Our team failed miserably trying to get out of it's own way.

Here's another coaching question about the OC Haley.

Does anyone believe that the Rooneys would get rid of a new hire after 1 short year of trying to implement his system?

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Max Starks recognized the playbook and hadn't seen it in 6-7 years.

"I actually just got it yesterday...I had already had some familiarity because Todd's system is very similar to Ken Whisenhunt's...I talked to Kuge (OL Coach Kugler) yesterday and we went over some of this stuff and I was like 'that's the same plays we ran...' and he was like 'yeah, that's the way it's supposed to be'. So, I'm pretty familiar with it...it's the old system we ran my first three years here. Little bit nuanced as far as the play calling style, and some of the play names they kind of tweaked them a little bit, but overall it's very comparable..."

4. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't see much of a play book, particularly the last few games when things should be running smoothly. Run up the gut for a few plays and then let Ben scramble. That may be a little harsh, and probably not what was planned from the play book, but that is what was run.

I am always puzzled that other teams always seem to play their best against us. Maybe film study reveals our tendencies too much and opponents can capitalize easily. Or maybe our losses this year against sub-par teams are the truth, and the wins against good teams the outliers.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Everyone has been complaining about the run, run, pass against the Bengals but they have the overall #1 defense in regards to sacking the QB this year. Haley was probably trying not to get Ben killed back there with the porous Oline play that we have seen. The biggest problem that I had with that though was he basically got into 4 down territory and blew it. I'll probably be miffed about that for a few years actually. It will be one of those plays that sticks in my mind like a bad toothache.

3rd an 2 down by the goal line and they go empty backfield. The worst call IMO so far of Haleys short stunt with the Steelers. Put a fullback in right there and if they don't get it line it up again. The Bengals were not stopping that drive against the run at all. Instead, Ben Scrambles (probably could have picked up the first) and then passes incomplete to the back of the endzone. Suisham misses. Game Over, season over. I knew it right at that moment and it wasn't even halftime yet.

6. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I thought the offense was outstanding the first half of the season with the "Dink and Dunk" style. It kept Ben from getting hit and he looked very good running it. Steelers lead TOP and 3rd down conversions.

Once Ben went out, I believe they reverted back to a more BA style playbook for Lefty and Batch...the play calling and such wasn't sharp.

When Ben returned they didn't go back to the play calling that was working the first half of the season. It became predictable and everything that I saw last year.

To me it almost seemed like Haley gave in to Ben and let him go back to the sandlot plays. With the way the defense was playing towards the end of the year and if they could have ran the same offense they did in the first half...I think we would have been division champs.

Something happened that we are not aware of...I feel Haley started to give in to all the guys complaining about not getting the 'splash plays' they got last year.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the dink and dunk lasted till brown injurie in new york the chiefs came in and we could'n t find any open receiver in the short route , they play tight man to man ,and even with ben before the injurie we couldn't move the chain . then ben felt down and the rest was garbage

8. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think the deficiences we didn't know about was the health of the QB. Ben probably wasn't able to take a big hit and with no running game and terrible pass blocking there was nothing they could do. I honestly believe there is no depth to this team which for all the years I watched the Steelers was one thing they had the league beat in and that was the depth of their roster but no more.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe it's the sloth like guards we put on the field and the subpar LT.:cool:

11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The way we played this year against any team. I would say that we do not have film studies of our next opponent.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is anyone else bored watching the PGH Steelers play offensive football
    since the Bus retired?

13. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: I almost put my foot through the TV right then.

14. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Definitely.

15. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    cough**kevin gilbride***cough, cough

but anyhow, if the rooney's are picking tomlins staff for him then the war's already lost. Haley's system is a failure. time to move on. somebody forgot to tell him this isn't a "dink and dunk" league anymore. if you can't throw the ball down the field you aren't going to be able to run with the big dogs

16. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Given their track record, I'd have to say no.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not only they went empty backfield as the worst call, but how about running your hurt qb on a designed bootleg? i almost went nuts. what the hell was he thinking?:cool:

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Laughing my a-- off. Sloth like guards ! :applaud:

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Minnesota vs Texas Tech Offenses wow!
    Let's get the running backs from Texas and Minnesotas play calling.

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not really. We have more change of pace players now. At least, in potential. I can't criticise the team for changing mentality from the Bettis days, because that did require Bettis, and it's not like Bettis' just come through the draft every year. Dwyer started to look like that early on, but didn't sustain the momentum.

I said quite early on that Will Johnson would be the key to our success this year. And I think I was right - when we used him, we did well. When we didn't, we sucked. Why he wasn't out there on the 3rd and 2 against the Bengals, and instead we went empyt backfield, is beyond me.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Haley is going to be the Cardinals new head coach so it doesnt matter what he needs to do here anymore?

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hunch or have something more concrete? I heard this rumor a week ago, just wondering if there is anything more to it yet.