1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who will be the next OL,ST, strength and conditioning coaches?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like it to go further than this, but
    for right now this is a start. Any up and comers out there
    that EXCITE you? That can coach these guys up?
    Everybody says execution is the key, well these coaches
    need these players to get on the page to executing their trade.
    One quick question, Were you happy with Kruger? Did he get
    the most out of his players you thought possible?

2. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Arnold "The Terminator" Schwarzenegger!

Anabolic Steroids for all!

Seriously though, I don't think HGH should be banned for these guys. With the injuries they're facing, why take something that can help them recover from them?

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would look at Mike Munchak for oline coach. More than likely he will be out of Tennessee.

5. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Local talk radio was making the case for Tunch Ilkin for line coach. Strength and Cond coach? I don't know who that is but he will probably be back next year Whoever he is.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Tunch likes the gig he currently has... He is already on the Steelers pay roll, I wonder if they use him as a consultant already?

7. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    They addressed that on the radio. Yes he is used as a consultant by the Steelers and other teams as well. They said that, much like Cowher, his kids are grown and his wife recently passed and as a result is in a different place now and speculated that he may change his mind and get into coaching.

Ron Cook said it and was quoting Ed Bouchette. Said that EB knows Tunch well and would not bring that up on the air without first talking to Tunch about it.

8. steelers_liu

steelers_liu Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    lots of people have praised Kugler for a great job since joining the the team couple of years ago, but he is the guy who brought in Jonathan Scott and started him for a number of games. I thought Scott was one of the worst lineman I've seen and to see him start for us surprised me.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i've heard the offensive quality control coach they got from duke this year. they were going to promote him from within. he's never done it before except as an assistant at duke so thats about par for MT.:cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  12. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    because he got injured at practice. he cut his mouth on the gaterade cup. he'll be out and have off season surgery 1 week before camp starts next year so he can be ready possibly by week 15.:cool:

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    all i had to see was max and colon as the year went on and the guts got bigger. this wasen't off season stuff , this was during the year. it's not the first time either. max was slim and trim when he arrived this year.

they need some fresh blood. i'd like to see some fresh, but proven coaches brought in as assistants. not first timers like montgomery. or the guy starrett(sp?) that they are considering for the O-line coach.

kirby was a good story, but i'm still not sure he was ready to come back. he had alot of other things to deal with this year besides football.

the firing of the ST's coach at that time. then keeping amos that was the assistant to two ST's coordinators that were fired and then saying he would help him. why was he never ready for the position and why did we need an assistant for both of the prior coord's.?

just a bunch of head scratchers as assistants around here. giemont was a MT hiring from the outside. i haven't been sold on his hirings so far. :cool:

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    My vote for new o-line coach is, and shall remain dermonti dawson...... as far as specialteams are concerned, maybe the f.o. can track down steve tasker somewhere.... the rest will be returning next yr.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bring back Russ Grimm as o-line coach if he gets fired in Arizona.

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Will be tough to find a quality S&C coach. They'll likely want a substantial football background (in order to better relate to players) coupled with at least a Master's degree and a crap load of experience. Not too many of those guys out there, unless they drop the football upbringing, which is unlikely.

As I mentioned before, the very best S&C coaches are typically found at mid-level D-I universities coaching up the Olympic teams (basketball, baseball, track, swimming, etc), where the pressure isn't extravagent, they earn a very good salary for the profession ($75-100K), and they get to dabble in research if they choose. Also, much more job security there than with a football program, even though the money is much better ($150-300K+).

As for the OL coach, I would guess Munchak or Matthews from Tennessee when they get canned, or even Grimm out of Arizona if he'd want to come back (unlikely). I wonder if Haley or Tomlin would make the call?

Wouldn't know where to begin for ST's. Maybe some young guy with a fiery temperament. They seem to make good ST coaches.

20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I would like Grimm for OL but think he and wiz will never come back here

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    just a bunch of head scratchers as assistants around here. giemont was a MT hiring from the outside. i haven't been sold on his hirings so far. :cool:[/QUOTE]

bingo , this is the tomlin first problem has no clue on finding good coordinators

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i think I would be happy with Munchak, his Titans line play
    when he was coaching under Fisher seemed to over achieve, How
    come no one wants to critique Kruger. I am not an OL Guru like some on here,
    I prefer SKILLED position players. so come on, is it talent or is it coaching?
    As with alot of the response's I am hearing doesn't seem to be much
    confidence in MT's selection of position coaches? CAN WE DO BETTER?
    I THINK WE CAN. For Christ's sake we are the PGH Steelers we own
    more LOMBARDI's than anyone and we can't bring in quality position coaches
    that are hungry and have a skill for teaching and getting the MOST out of
    their players? I know if I am ArtII I am asking these questions.