1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Downplays Defense Forcing Three Jags Turnovers: ‘They Weren’t Ones That Teed Up The Offense’

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Oct 30, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Interesting choice of words. If I'm the DC and a captain of the team, I'm demanding he address those comments to the team, to clarify exactly what he meant. I'd be pissed if I was a defensive player. Most will downplay his comments I'm sure, because Tomln's comments always seem to get downplayed, but I bet that's going to rub some guys the wrong way. We'll never know obviously, but that's my guess

3. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I guess you could look at his comment with a few perspectives.

My hope is he would be saying to the team, it’s great you got a turnover, but you let them drive the field and then had to get a turnover to stop them from scoring. Ultimately, you stop them sooner and the offense is in a better place for field position.

Edit - I love a turnover as much as the next person, but we can’t live and die by them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean......

Given how the Defense is out there for nearly 70 snaps per game, what the hell else do you want Tomlin?! Never mind the three turnovers... what more is the Defense supposed to do?! Score every damn takeaway they get?! WTF?!

5. RONN

RONN Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Our D is gassed by mid 3rd qrt every game..123 D back out on the field

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    I understood his comment

But I don’t have an underlying motive to find fault with everything he says

His comment was accurate

If he needs to explain it to his defense then apparently they aren’t capable of understanding

7. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

This is the stuff that has me turning on Tomlin. He now says things in press conferences that are just ridiculous. By doing so, he is backhanding other parts of the team.

He did this earlier this season as well. After the 49ers game he said that the offensive line was excellent today, or words to that affect. WTF is this guy doing? I mean, how do you alienate parts of your team that are playing their asses off. He has a young quarterback that needs confidence, so you have no running game, and your quarterback and the entire offense gets beaten to a pulp and Tomlin is out there saying $hit like that.

I truly believe that he is now so arrogant that he actually believes the crap he says. I have always thought of Tomlin as a great coach, but over the last several years he has shown that his time here should be short and his inability to adapt to the latest concepts of modern football have been lacking. When you add that to what I spoke of previously, I just don't see how he can turn things around and lead them to another championship. I'm sure there are divides within that locker room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    My wife who doesn't watch football who I took to the game to be the shuttle of my kids to the bathroom only comment was you can't score if your defense is on the field that much

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe this is the plan since the defense give the steelers the best chance to score!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dogman

Dogman Member

Aug 16, 2021
    I have been trying to be patient with Tomlin, but no more. I hate to think he could be that grotesquely stupid, but am finding that to be the case. So three turnovers are good, but they weren't GOOD turnovers, didn't help the offense enough. I would think handing the ball over to the offense would be an asset regardless of the location. Maybe if the turnovers didn't happen and the Jags scored 3 more touchdowns to make the score 41-10 that would have helped. Or if they scored 3 more field goals to make the score 29-10, that's much better and would have helped immensely. I'm firmly in the clean house camp.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    According to MT nothing has any effect on the outcome.

For me, this was playoffs or bust/show me season. And this team is no better than last season and **** what the record says at any point from here on out, the eye test is completely lopsided.

I've had enough and seen enough - time to clean house.

12. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Would have helped in the ravens game then maybe we'd be done with canada