1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should they move TJ around like they do with parsons?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They aren't talking about a permanent, full-time position change. His primary position would still be left outside linebacker, but he would move around some during games to make it harder for teams to double-team him or chip him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Pressures affect plays. The Steelers rely heavily on them to cover for a mediocre secondary. They aren't sacks, but they often lead to sacks by teammates, incomplete passes, and interceptions.

You aren't entirely wrong about win rate, but they do still have an affect on the game. Offenses often change how they call plays or where they send double-teams based on an opposing player's win rate. That can allow for defensive teammates to make a play more easily even if the guy who won at the line didn't actually make a tackle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was also just two games ago that he forced a huge fumble by Lamar Jackson to help the Steelers put the game away.

4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes that was what I was alluding to with my "Pressures being nice” statement. I hear you on the win rate part but it gets tossed around by the Anti Watt crowd so much as if it is of equal importance to a sack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Excellent points. I absolutely believe it is because Garrett is built like a freak and twenty pounds heavier and he was the Number 1 pick. I feel like Watt has alot more bend, especially ankle flexion and he is more gumby like where Garrett is stiffer. At the end of the day Watt will have to outperform Garrett by at least 5 more sacks and also in the FF, FR, QB Hurries at a minimum to win the award over Garrett. That goes with Watt vs Parson as well. Funny how the Pundits don’t seem to stress the value of PD’s or interceptions much with these guys. I guess that doesn’t fit the narrative with Garrett since he falls woefully short in those areas compared to Watt. The Garrett cheerleaders will say but he doesn’t drop into coverage so it is unfair to compare them on that metric. Yet most of Watts PD’s and interceptions over the last two years have come at the line scrimmage the same place Garrett hangs out.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Win rate certainly doesn't matter as much as sacks or pressures, but it isn't without value. When you wrote that pressures are nice, it felt like you weren't putting much value on them.

7. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    No Pressures definitely matter. I think it is pretty obvious that the value is sacks 1, Pressures 2 and Win Rate 3. It just seems like the Anti Watt people sometime reverse the importance of these to justify their argument. I guess thats why perhaps in defending Watt I might of come across as downplaying those.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. I seen 4 different people trying to stop Watt on a few plays last week. How freaking crazy is that?????
    Someone else must get home when they are doing that to him. The others should be feasting when this happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He (Highsmith)also lost contain about 4 times in that game....one of which was a direct key on the Raven TD. You can't spin inside, and lose outside contain....especially when Your playing the Ravens, and what they like to do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem is the Steelers really only have two strong pass rushers, Watt and Highsmith. Ogunjobi is still a solid run defender who can create some push inside, but he does not rush the passer as well as he had earlier in his career, before the foot issues. The other interior linemen just aren't good enough at rushing the passer. This is one of the areas in which Heyward is sorely missed. Teams wouldn't be able to block Watt that way with Heyward on the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I totally agree

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers need to draft DE in first and Center in second round with 2024 draft.

• Like Like x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree Center must be up there, but We desperately need another good CB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He definitely loses contain too often, but I think some of that is in the defensive design, allowing Highsmith and Watt to crash while other players fill in their place on the outside. The problem on some of those plays is either the corner, safety, or inside linebacker who is supposed to fill in doesn't get the job done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree...
    I don't know if You know, or have heard this, but Lebeau would not allow guys to work an inside move of any kind(doesn't mean they didn't) from the OLB position He wouldn't even allow them to do it in practice....because He believed in His system... it always gave up contain. I have heard Him talking about it, and I believe it was J. Harrison who also talked about it.

16. MojoUW

MojoUW Member

Aug 16, 2023
    I think it is easy to get hung up on the guys who have raw athletic feats that literally leap off our TV sets and grab out attention.

Heck, for two years, Parsons looked unblockable. I don't know what has changed because I don't subject myself to watching the Cowboys play. But his "numbers" seem down this year.

Honestly, I think will never get the national shouty time TV accolades that some of the others do because he is perceived as somehow less athletic. Somehow his #'s are less because Pittsburgh's defense. I dunno.

What I do know is that I would take Watt over any other pass rusher in the league right now. He's technique is off the charts. His play recognition is second to none. And he is relentless. I have never seen another pass rusher of his caliber currently in the league pursue and work snap after snap at the level Watt does. Both Bosa's, Garrett, Parsons, and whoever else you want to put on the list -- none of them move non-stop like Watt does.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So the Steelers should move Watt to ILB, ROLB/edge, Safety, or CB for a handful of plays because of double teams? Come on dude. Put down the crack pipe. Let Watt play, thrive, and eventually make the HOF as a LOLB/Right edge rusher facing double teams.

Here is a hint. Teams don't and can't always double team great pass rushers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Been watching the Steelers for over 55 ,years other than Dynasty players
    TJ is the best player drafted since Woodson.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I disagree. Where does Troy rank for you? People don't go to games to watch Watt. Watt can be negated by teams.

Fans would to go games to watch Troy perform. Troy was easily the best player on 3 teams that made the superbowl. When I think of Troy I think of Barry Sanders. Watt is great but he isn't Troy.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    after TJ and Woodson

• Informative Informative x 2
  21. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I respect your opinion. Troy changed the game. We all saw a TJ before TJ (LT ring a bell). We never saw a Troy before Troy.

Troy was the best player on two SB winning teams. TJ and Woodson never helped the Steelers win a championship.

• Like Like x 2
  22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Why don't the Steelers move Highsmith around?

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I feel like you are presenting this as a team decision against Watts wishes. I don't know that that is necessarily the case. He has come out and said recently that he is up for moving around. I don't think that has always been the case though.
    I believe that he likes to drop into coverage and I feel like the team picks the right time for him to do it. He is an incredibly instinctive player and they need to utilize him in as many ways as they can.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers played Watt at ROLB his rookie year. The Steelers PROS eventually realized that his best position was LOLB and not MLB or to move him around. Watt eventually became DPOY playing LOLB. Why move him around?

My factual stance, "Player your best players where they are most comfortable and show the ability to execute at a high level".

TJ is on his way to the HOF in his current position. TJ doesn't play the same position as Polamalu.

25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    If TJ wants to move around, best to let him move around.

• Agree Agree x 2