1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleveland

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CTXSteelerFan, Sep 13, 2023.

1. CTXSteelerFan

CTXSteelerFan Member

Jul 20, 2023
    First, my thoughts on the 49ers game. Until the first sack of Pickett, the Steelers did everything I wanted them to do. They had intentions of being aggressive offensively. They chose to receive and came out throwing. While it didn't work out, I appreciate the attitude. To be able to upend SOS felt tantalizing. But, now I know, it isn't meant to be. And, that's fine, I'll take SOS over what we saw on Sunday any day.

Getting beatdown by the 49ers definitely sucked. Losing to a team that's been off schedule all offseason vs a team that has been on schedule since day one doesn't feel like football justice.

But, it is what it is. It's a long season, and it's time to move on.

Cleveland is next, and it's time to run the football. The offseason had me believing the Steelers were getting back to the Steeler Way, and I was all for it. Then we got the amazing preseason it had me thinking we can use the pass to establish run. Well, no. That was a mistake that must be learned from. I have an affinity for Art Rooney II's vision. It might be boring, but it's fundamental, and it happens to be my favorite brand of football. From now on, it's the only way I want the Steelers to approach the game. Execute and be become the '3 and a half yards and a cloud of dust' professionals of the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Getting beatdown by the 49ers definitely sucked. Losing to a team that's been off schedule all offseason vs a team that has been on schedule since day one doesn't feel like football justice.

What does that mean????

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Most good teams do not take the ball first to start the game if they have a choice. This team has a lot of new parts and it would have been better to take the ball to start the second half.

Even when they did take it to start the game, you don't run a jet sweep on the 2nd play. Design of plays and play calling to start the game is poor. We started out bad and ended bad. Coaches and Players and equipment mangers were bad. What's with all the slipping on our home turf when the 49's had no problem. Why wasn't the cleat thing figured out before game time.

This team has a lot of question marks.

4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it was tomlin foolishness. but that is him

5. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    And he avoids accountability every time by being vague in who is calling what shots. Canada is automatically blamed for play calls, but I bet you a dollar for donut, that jet sweep was a Tomlin call all the way. It's not as if Tomlin just leaves everything to Canada's call and lives with the outcome. That is nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Accountability should look like this IMO> Rooney- Khan/Tomlin - OC/DC/Gum chewer - Position Coaches/ Players

Actual> Crickets - Crickets - OC/DC/Gum chewer - Position Coaches/ Players

This doesn't necessarily fit all circumstances, but when all facets of a team are not where they should be or prepared, I think it's relevant. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    As soon as Austin went in motion every 49er knew what was coming. Austin did a heck of a job breaking a couple of tackles to make it only a one yard loss.

8. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    Yea, you certainly nailed it right here. "Crickets, crickets." The Steeler way.

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes, Please explain

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can't. The guy who said it has to. It is the original post. I actually gave it about 5 minutes but can't come up with anything.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The 49ers didn't fear our passing game so they keyed on stopping the run. They expected the run. The early offensive team make up was to be physical and run the football. You set it up by some quick passing to move the chains, back off the safeties and then run the ball. I thought the first play of the game when Pickett completed the pass to Pickens I was alright a few more of those and then start the running the ball. The second play the O' Canada jet sweep :facepalm: The niners sniffed that overused Canada staple.

Pass to set up the run, keep moving the chains, take a shot when you can.

The defense needs to worry about the run with Chubb up next.

12. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I know lol... That's what I was alluding too...I tried to smoke him out

13. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Tomlin is such a bufoon. He disrespected the best or 2nd best defense in the league from the get go. That and the stupid jet sweep Canada dialed up and we looked like clowns within the first 5 minutes. It's not going to change until Tomlin is gone. It's just not and I hope Khan moves the hell on after this year.

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'll take a stab at what I think he meant. The 49ers rested all of their starters the whole pre-season while the Steelers starters played in every game? I had to re-read what he said a few times and this is all I could come up with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    If.....That's what he meant, I don't agree with that at all...

The Team that looked so much better, and didn't have ANY Preseason snaps... Shouldn't it have been the opposite...Timing off, shaking the rust off, cohesiveness...

And as far as injuries...Same thing...Should be in better shape, built yourself up...

Guys get injured training before camp...During Preseason, Practice...

Injuries can happen anytime

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You just talk out of your ass :rolleyes:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. CTXSteelerFan

CTXSteelerFan Member

Jul 20, 2023
    The Steelers have been successfully team building. They had a great draft, brought in veteran leadership, and have had full participation since OTAs, health permitting. All reports indicated that they were getting good work in.

San Francisco had a lot of offseaon drama with their quarterback situation and questions about when they were going to sign one of their best defensive players and for how much.

It just seemed like a good time to catch one of the best NFC teams. The Steelers did have ample time to prepare for the game.

Obviously, SF's talent, schemes and experience was too much for the Steelers at this point in time. Not to mention an awful day from Pickett. Not sure what that was about. It looked like a young Bradshaw out there. I don't think that hit to the head did him any favors, either. Now, let's see how he bounces back.

But, try to give him a good run game to rely on so it's not all on his shoulders all at once. Let the game come to him.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CTXSteelerFan

CTXSteelerFan Member

Jul 20, 2023
    How ever they do it, if we see a strong run game from the Steelers Monday night, I'll start feeling a lot better about the season.