1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s your main concern with 2023 Steelers team?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Jun 22, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    THIS is always a concern of Steelers D's.....sadly. For years, have not had a good plan here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kwon Alexander is still available :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you accounting for the two ILB we signed

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Rashaan Evans is still available. He's the best LB still available. He's 27 years old and is very productive. I liked him when he came into the league when he was drafted by the Titans. He signed with the Falcons for one season and is now a free agent. I'm not sure that the money would work with the cap, but he's a very good player.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Yes, yes I am. I don't think we are settled there yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Can we please avoid the major injury to a key player for once. I know its part of the game but it always seems to me we have had a key injury at very bad time in many seasons. Perhaps no more than anyone else but I would like to see if we can get through the season without the key player going down. I swear ever since the collective bargaining agreement that changed the preseason to basically no pads, we always come out soft and not ready and injury prone. Maybe Pickett will set the example and show up like Brady at Camp with the gym rat attitude and it inspires the team.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I was responding to a post about camp cuts, not free agents who wanted more money than the Steelers are willing to pay, which is likely why Alexander was in Pittsburgh for a visit and left without a contract.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He also wants a significant payday, which isn't going to happen unless the Steelers suffer a significant injury. They already spent significant resources on the position this offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Not really saying it's going to happen. But he is the best player available at a position of need. The longer it goes with nobody signing him, the better that chance that he can be signed for a more reasonable number if they have the cap room.

They didn't really spend much money on LB. Here are the cap hits for every ILB they signed this offseason and the complete cap breakdown and estimated available cap room:

Cole Holcolm $2,720,000

Elandon Roberts $2,332,500

Nick Kwaitkoski $940,000

$5,992,500

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/positional/linebacker/2023/active-cap/

That's not a lot of money for three inside linebackers. I like Holcolm, but there isn't a top-notch player there. If they can get better at the position I'm all for it. Even if it's not Evans. They may even be looking for a camp cut.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    My main concerns

How will Pickett play vs zone coverage
    Pickett’s accuracy on quick slants and passes to the flat
    Will he learn to trust his blocking or continue to bail on the pocket leaving yards on the field?
    Last and certainly not least how long will it take for the newish offensive line to gel?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They committed more money than that, but the cap hits are relatively low due to Khan's magic with the numbers. Part of that is the commitment beyond this season. Also, I wasn't just talking about free agent money. They drafted Herbig, who is likely to also get a look inside. They overhauled the inside linebacker corps and did it at a relative bargain. I guess it's possible they could open the checkbook for someone like Evans, but I'm betting a large portion of the remaining cap room is earmarked for Highsmith's extension.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Stop answering. It always makes Me nervous.

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Well after 2 games we have some answers.

how will Pickett play vs zone? Poorly so far
    Accuracy? Again poorly so far
    How long will the online take to gel? It’s looking like a minimum of 3 weeks. However, being this is a short week with the added west coast travel 4 weeks is probably a safe bet

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes....I'm worried. I'm also worried because they started with what I think I seen happening during the game. I believe they at first were allowing KFP the whole field, and by later in the game they were only giving Him half of the field to look at.....which may mean they are also worried about his progress.