1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Didn't Miller get hurt again during OTAs? Maybe that was the last straw. I've been telling people not to expect him to be part of the team for 2023 for a while.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jack went all of last season without creating any splash plays, for what they were paying him that's not good enough.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Miller was a goner once they traded for Allen Robinson, Austin and Robinson will probably be their slot receivers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I thought this was year 3 here and I think has been dinged up every year. He hasn't played in at least a couple of years any meaningful snaps. He really should have gone and played in the usfl of xfl. I'm not sure if the work ethic is truly there. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If you can hang on a PS for a year you get 12 grand a week, possibly 216,000 for the year. USFL is around 53,500, XFL 60,000. I see what you are saying about work ethic, and one can definitely get exposure in the spring leagues, but if you have been on a PS the body takes a pretty good beat down every week, putting the body through the stress of yet another 'season' can backfire.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I guess if that's what he's striving for. He had a decent future going and has become stagnant in his career. Maybe a year playing would give teams a new perspective. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I get that. Monetarily there are no guarantees, so I guess at some point you just have to look at options. If you sign a reserve future contract you are at least on the 90 man roster going into training camp (penciled in anyway). You get the necessary team contacts and training. If you decide to go spring league (refusing a reserve option) you get more exposure, but expose yourself to possible injury. I do not know the per centage of making a final 53 in either scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

last year he was on IR all year. not sure what percentage of pay they receive from that on a futures contract. he's had a lot of NFL training in his time with chicago and here but can't seem to get back on the field. out of sight out of mind. now he's releasesd and wanting to get picked up by another team and hasn't had any game film to show for a few years now. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea it's definitely something for these guys to consider. I think the odds of getting another look are slim anyway, how many guys who were on the 90 of a team were released both before and after the draft? IDK how many guys we have (or the entire NFL for that matter) who played XFL were signed this year, let alone invited for a try out, but I do think we have a few in camp. For the 'fringe' guys it may indeed come down to what have you done lately.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I read somewhere as of May .....18 XFL players had been signed by NFL teams....so at least 18 will get more money beyond XFL....even if they only make it to the 1st cuts. If I was playing...JMO.....I would do anything possible just to keep playing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    And at the very least they will be able to tell their grandkids they went to an nfl camp and have a jersey to prove it

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    This link is a couple of year old, but that money through camp is minimal..but you can't get the big bucks if you are not even in a place to try for it, lol.

Explained: Do players get paid in NFL training camp? (sportskeeda.com)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am still thinking Jack and DJ Watt will be walking through the door at training camp.

I have not see anything about those 2 going anywhere to try and catch on with a new team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Nobody has invited them

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Derek Watt may be TJ's new pool cleaner. Crickets.. is all I hear about Watt getting an NFL contract.

Myles Jack it looks like is finally getting some interest from the Browns and Patriots in June. We will see if the articles are just fans wishful thinking or if there is something to these rumors after everyone returns from their vacations and training camps begin.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Congratulations on 100 pages

• Like Like x 4
  17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    We have 100 pages on just free agency, the Bengals have around 12 for a playoff game day thread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Miller has had an issue with chronic shoulder dislocation. He’s had multiple surgeries to fix but it’s still an issue. Too bad really. He probably just needs to retire from football altogether and find a more fulfilling career since this has to be frustrating for him.

19. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    I think you will see an ILB (or 2) brought in when camp cuts occur. I also think it is imperative we extend Highsmith.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  21. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    The Dallas Cowboys have hired a two-year member of the Steelers' analytics staff, Will Britt.

Personally I’m hoping he took the data with him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I didn’t read the entire previous 99 pages to check overall mood on the Steelers moves but here are some moves I like so far.

Not listing all details but in my opinion the Steelers have improved on the OL and DL. I don’t think these units were terrible to start with but FA moves and draft picks will improve upon what we already had.

Moving on from Bush and Jack will be a lateral move at worst. The current ILB room is an improvement on paper if not in camp already.

I hated losing Sutton and Edmunds. I like that the secondary was addressed from multiple angles and with a mix of vets and rookies. This is a wait and see group but having all pros like Minkah and PatPete can’t be bad.

Maybe a little bit under the radar but our TE group may turn out to be the best we’ve ever had. PF, Wash, Gentry, and Little Ironhead are all big and athletic and can be used in multiple roles. I guess the only move here was adding Wash, but I think he rounds out the TE room perfectly.

If I have 1 true worry it is the all important QB room. I don’t feel there was any effort at all with this group. Same upside, same worries, same names.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Derek watt has 7 years in a position no one really needs. I think he did well for himself but he’s probably done with the nfl. Surprised he even lasted this long.

2.4 rushing average
    249 total career yards

• Like Like x 2