1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Green at guard did not look any better. I am with Vince on this - try him at FB

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Or a Malik Reed lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He would have to be a moron. He has to know he is a clear No. 3 behind Watt and Highsmith, and those guys are going to be out there as much as possible.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sounds to me like someone looking to make another excuse for Canada, claiming that Dotson is the problem when the guy was pretty good before Canada became the OC.

Also, I would need to see Green actually block somebody before I seriously consider the notion he can run any blocking scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Unless they keep five outside linebackers or someone gets hurt, Roche's chances of making the team just became very slim. I was among the people who thought he seemed promising out of college, but this is another guy who was on the scrap heap for a reason.

On the other hand, Golden is a solid, established player who has started 68 games in the NFL and reached double-digit sacks three times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Thank you. I had forgotten just how badly Green embarrassed himself during the preseason last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The second clip you see why communication on the line is key. Green looks like he expects the RG to help him out but he is already going to dbl team with the RT who then bails on that block to try and help the RB with the edge Blitzer. I'm not going to say he is better than he is but that rookie year teams knew he was a rookie, knew he had limited starts at center before being drafted and he was tested often and overwhelmed. We didn't see him last year so we don't know if he improved or not. He is going to have to battle at camp.

Edit: I didn't realize that was last preseason with him at LG. He was just abused a lot. I thought that was his rookie year. Forget I said anything.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Primary reason Washington is here. Anything in the passing game is gravy.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The thing I noticed was though his sacks were down, his QB pressures went up..maybe a correlation there, but to still have an experienced guy getting pressure when one of the others is out is huge. Plus no injury the last 3 years, solid signing.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah Im not going to write a guy off because of preseason. Guard is his natural position, I expect him to be better there and his tape is good. I’m assuming he must be showing something in practice or he’d be gone already. He’s a 3rd rd pick, they could part ways easy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sometimes even the smartest front offices get stubborn and keep waiting for a guy to do as a pro what they liked in his college tape.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    And let's be honest the Steelers have a long history of not giving up until the very end. Shamarko Thomas and Artie Burns come to mind or the disaster of Mike Adams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly.... Trubisky .LoL.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I just think they didn’t do the kid any favors throwing him at center for a year. That’s a year away from his natural position and then last season they were remarkably healthy and didn’t get any playing time. 2 years removed from real game experience at guard.

He’ll get a chance to battle in camp one more time, hopefully it clicks for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The higher the draft pick the longer they try. Do You remember Sean Davis.....He wasn't any worse than (actually He was out of position) T. Edmunds, but Edmunds took His job, and was here all that time.....just because He was a 1st round pick. I can't even tell You how many 1st round picks We have given 2nd chances to from other teams. I lose count.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Davis was made worse by Mike Mitchell as well. I've talked about a Browns game before during Watt's rookie year. Mitchell was responsible for getting the DB's into position but on one play he fails to see Watt lined up over the slot receiver and have Davis move up to help. Mitchell is to busy looking into the backfield for his next opportunity to lay a big hit, Davis drops back to provide a double team to the outside receiver who actually is well covered already and TJ can't stay with the slot receiver and he gets open on the crossing route where Mitchell bought the play action and ran up to support the run but is caught in no man's land flat footed. Everyone was pointing at Watt for not hanging with a faster receiver when it's Mitchell and Davis who blew it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Then there are those who cling to even less, like you with Rudolph.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope so, too, but I'm certainly not counting on it. I don't ever want to see him at center again, and they really don't need him at guard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe he hasn't had whispers in his ear that he can compete for a starting position like someone we knew.

He will be a role player spelling Watt or Highsmith and if their is an unfortunate injury he can step in. Plus they can bring Herbig along and not throwing him to the wolfs. He needs a bit more beef put on to compete with the big guns. Roche will be practice squad material now I don't see them keeping 5 OLBers on the active roster.

Happy that they addressed the position, it was needed.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually pundits have him at RG

And Green will replace Dotson at LG backup

21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I hope that Green will not make this team this year unless he has major improvements....He is so unplayable.Remember the preseason game last year vs Jaguars.One of the worst game ever that I saw for a o-line player!

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    At least you are consistent and persistent.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Eh nothing much else to do now

You have to wait 3 months to say I told you so

Then I’ll deny everything

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pundits have Herbig at RG over Daniels? I don’t see that happening.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No
    As backup at RG

My conversation was in regard to backups

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1