1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the golden age of quarterbacks in the NFL?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, May 23, 2023.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    When was the golden age of quarterbacks in the NFL? I'm not talking just the cream of the crop as I listed below, but in terms of overall quality throughout the league.
    Some of the big names that come to mind:
    60s - Unitas, Jurgensen, Starr, Namath, Lamonica, Dawson, Brodie, etc.
    70s - Staubach, Bradshaw, Stabler, Griese, Anderson, Tarkenton, Jones, etc.
    80s - Montana, Elway, Kelly, Marino, Fouts, etc.
    90s - Aikman, Young, Favre, Kelly, Elway, Moon, etc.
    00s - Brees, Manning, Rivers, Brady, Favre, Roethlisberger, Warner, etc.
    10s - Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Roethlisberger, Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, Rivers, Luck, etc.
    20s- Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Burrow, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not much right now. I mean as We speak....We have forsure.....Mahomes, Burrows, and Allen. Maybe Hurts. Now I'm not saying that won't change, but compared with early 2000, and 2010s with Brett F, both Mannings, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Brady, A. Rodgers, Plummer, and Warner. It doesn't compare....at least not yet.

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Plummer?

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    When?!

For me, it was the 80s. That is when the NFL really started to open up not just to America but the world as a whole. Given how dynamic the Draft Class of 1983 was and how successful it became, no doubt that class played a large part in shaping the NFL into the multimedia powerhouse it is today. Mind you... I did say that the 80s were the Golden Era of QBs.

As far as the "Golden Era of the NFL" goes?! The 1970s... hands down. By far and away the most wild yet titanic era of football ever. That many HOFer's in a single decade?!.... good luck ever seeing that again; much less with some of the NFL's greatest ever Super Teams.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He was pretty good at one time. If people can say Lamar Jackson is great because what He did one year .....3 years ago..... with one playoff win to His name...then a guy who took two different teams to the playoffs, and won could be considered something. :shrug: I didn't say He was awesome. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Jake the Snake was a pretty good QB, not arguing that at all. Just not sure he belongs on the same list as most of those other guys who are HOFers.

And I’m with you on Lamar. Way overrated!

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1