1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason gets a Helmet for 2023. The return of the Emergency 3rd string QB.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, May 22, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just read that the NFL will allow teams to suit up a 3rd string QB on game day as an emergency 3rd string QB who does not count against the active gameday roster.

I never understood why the NFL did away with this rule to begin with. Do we really want to see Zack Gentry play QB in a game?

You also have to wonder if the Steelers knew this rule was going to be announced and that is one of the reasons, they resigned Rudolph?

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    upload_2023-5-22_17-18-21.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I see the caveat is only after the first 2 QB's are injured and ruled out of the game can the 3rd string QB enter the game. If the 3rd string QB has entered the game and later one of the first 2 QB's are cleared by a doctor, they have to re-enter the game and the 3rd string QB takes a seat again. The coaching staff is not allowed to sit their top 2 QB'S for poor or ineffective play. The 3rd string TD can only enter if the top 2 are injured. This was put in again to avoid a debacle like the 49ers had in the playoffs last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is what the NFL does. Instead of being smart enough to see the problem coming, they screw up by getting rid of this rule, only to bring it back to late to avoid the debacle in the NFC Championship game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mason gets a helmet…

420DC465-484F-42A8-8C25-FE690176D009.jpeg

I’m sorry, but when I saw the title of the thread I couldn’t help myself…:facepalm:

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For the man swinging that helmet, he may be donning different colors at the trade deadline this season if the Browns are under .500 by that point. I don't expect wholesale purge but I do expect the Browns to sell some serious quality pieces to offset the nasty incoming cap hit that DeShaun Watson has come 2024; nearly $64 million. There is only so much a GM can do in terms of constantly kicking that can down the road. If Garrett is not gone in 2023... he is likely gone in 2024.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I loathe that guy and wish him nothing but misery and failure for the remainder of his career.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Don't think he will be a failure per say but the chances of him being the NFL DPOY has either great diminished or evaporated all together barring extreme circumstances. Once TJ Watt went down last year, for me, it was between him and Nick Bosa though I also initially had Micah Parsons in that race as well. Once Micah started to taper off though, it was Myles vs. Nick.

Nick ended up winning. For that matter, I also expect TJ Watt to return to DPOY contention but not just him. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ahmad Sauce Gardner, Nick Bosa (again), Maxx Crosby and even Brian Burns who quietly had one hell of a 2022 Campaign. There are other names of course; Aaron Donald being the biggest one of course but the overall point is that Myles Garrett is going to have a much tougher time this time around.

For me, part of the success of a Defensive Player being selected number one overall has to do with him being a DPOY Award Winner at least once. Thus far, Myles has been a major disappointment there.

9. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You have to wonder if this rule was changed to avoid incidents leading to the Tua Tagovailoa debacle where the Dolphins played him even after showing signs of severe head trauma.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Stupid question, do NFL players get more money if they dress for the games?

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What do you mean?

If one is already on the 53, they will be fully compensated per their atollment via the cap. Now, if we are talking about paid performance bonuses?!... then yes. If it is just for merely dressing, I seriously doubt it.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    They may have tweaked it more, but that was essentially the original rule, though then I think if the QB's were out due to injury they could not re-enter at all (if the 3rd QB had entered).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    If they are on the 53 they get their contract money, as AQL said if there are bonus attached, then however the wording is they get what they get. The only difference in money is a PS guy, if he is activated he gets the standard CBA game payment (minimum for that week).

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hope TJ turns it up this year because Micah probably will win it.

15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Brice, I do not think that was one or any reason they resigned him. He tried the waters and there was no bite. The Steelers usually take 4 to camp, signing him at the vet minimum is only a 250,000 (plus change) difference than having a rookie.

16. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Yeah the way I read it on CBS sports website was let's say Kenny was out of the game and Trubisky was in at QB. Trubisky takes a shot to the chest and has the wind knocked out of him and has to sit out a few plays. Once the doctor clears him to re-enter the game then he has to go back in for Rudolph. Even if Rudolph went 4 for 4 with a TD, he has to sit again when Trubisky is cleared to go back in. The Steelers wouldn't have the option to go with the hot hand. The rule is the emergency QB is simply that, he can only play while the other 2 are too injured to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It is what it is, but one would think you are risking greater injury. Just because a guy is cleared to play, does not mean he SHOULD play. Not even talking head injury, hobbling on the sidelines, but not on crutches, he has to go in??? lol. Stretching it a bit, but slightly injured is one thing, but some injuries actually get worse with time, just seems prudent if it has gotten that far to make the guy sit out and give it a week to evaluate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I would agree with that. It seems like the league is going out of their way to make sure the #3 QB will play only if there is an extreme emergency.

19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    yea, I was just thinking about this. I guess we will have to wait and see what 'cleared to play is', but these guys are competitors and want to play, I have no idea the extent of the equipment at the game facilities, but the extremes can go bad very quickly. First you cannot trust a player, and from what we saw last year with the Dr's and Coach's in Miami, you really can't trust them, lol. It's just the wording that has me SMH, just have to wait and see it in RT. That said some of the other new rules are shaky as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason probably doesn’t like this new rule

Now he has to dress like a real player pull his pud during the game and then undress rather than just showing up in street clothes and walking on the field and going home

Even the trainers are like WTF now we have to tape his ankles

21. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Rudolph is like the designated survivor at the State of the Union address. With the president, VP and the other cabinet members all in the same place, there is one cabinet member designated to stay home in case the building is blown up. The designated survivor would then be the next president to keep the country running.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I still wouldn't rule out Brian Burns or even Hasson Reddick. Nick Bosa, TJ Watt and Ahmad Sauce Gardner are still my top three contestants at present.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah Ahmad is pretty damn good

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

when they told him he gets a helmet he did flinch. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  25. Jean74

Jean74 Member

Jan 1, 2022
    At least he is here for another season. Deal with it!

• Like Like x 2