1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Omar the "Khan Artist"...fun interview

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Vox Ferrum, May 20, 2023.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm glad Khan got the position. Definitely was a different feel this year.

Hopefully Andy Weidl sticks around for a few seasons as he is a large part of this off season as well as the draft.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Same old Steelers :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Normally the Steelers would extend Tomlin’s contract this summer

It will be interesting to see if Khan takes that route

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s made some great moves. But (wet blanket time)…until we see the results of these “genius” moves we need to slow down on crowning Khan the king of all GMs. I love the moves he’s made, along with Weidl and the rest of the staff. But I’ve got to admit this star treatment he’s getting bothers me just a little. I love Kenny Pickett and I think he’s our guy for the next decade plus, but he’s getting a little too much star treatment from some for my liking as well. I think the future is bright, but we’ve got to go out and get results on the field. I think a team has been assembled that has loads of potential, but unless we win at least one playoff game this season none of this will matter. JMHO…:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s amazing to me that no one hired this guy when he was making the rounds over the years. Does he interview poorly or were teams just too fixated on experience.

Oh well, their loss is our gain. Weidl has played a large roll in this, too. They make a very good tandem.

Sorry Jack, was that too much praise for your liking? You can wrap yourself up in a wet blanket, I’m going to be excited for the future of this team ;)

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the way they did it was the good part. no real block buster deals. a good draft, a few good free agent signings a subtle turnover in the scouts and coaches. added depth all over. cleaned out one whole part of the defense. lots of young parts added with just enough older parts. what's not to like? injuries play such a big role though in the success. we woould have at least made the playoffs last year if it wasn't for TJ going down early. camp and preseason will be huge for this team. how fast they bring it together will determine a lot. limiting the injuries will also be huge, as it is with most teams. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What would you rather see him being torn down bit by bit? He has his critics including here.

The QB on ANY team is usually the Star. And i'm here to say that Kenny F&*^in Pickett is already in the sky...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    The way I see it, Khan and company are really building towards '24 and 25. I honestly wouldn't call this upcoming season a failure if they don't make the playoffs, as long as we see growth on the defensive side of the ball. I think if they jump out to a 3-2 record in the first 5 games before the bye week, I think they should be fine. And the good thing about the schedule is that there aren't many QB's that's going to test the MOF, often (or at least with efficiency that could hurt us). However it'll be up to our MLB's to step up against the run that we'll be seeing those weeks. The good news is that this team is built to run the ball and should keep the defense fresh, if they're playing their A-Game. If Kenny takes that leap forward being a game manager and even taking over a few games, I think we'll be fine. I'm still sticking with 9-8 again. The defense really needs reps to build chemistry, and unfortunately with limited reps in 3 preseason games, they're not going to build that chemistry until probably the bye week.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
  12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course not, but we all need to slow our rolls just a little. This team hasn’t done squat yet and hasn’t won a playoff game in years! We’ve gotten embarrassed the last few times we have backed into the playoffs. Sure this is a different team in many ways, but let’s wait until we start having some success in the POST SEASON before we turn these folks into celebrities. Just my two cents.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    On my FB feed I sometimes get random things associated with the Steelers. This morning was a (get this) preview of the 2024 draft and who the Steelers would pick. CBS sports (or whoever is associated with them in sending this crap out) had the Steelers picking 9th with no trade, an OT. At first I was like no Fing way, then I looked at the 22 draft, the Raiders picked 7th with a 6-11 record. The 8th and 9th picks were from trades and I was to lazy to look up the actual records,my point being being 9-8 and sitting at 17 is only 3 losses from being at 7. I think the team on paper is better than that, and I could see them getting 11 or 12 wins barring major injuries and as you said the team coming together. That said the team could actually play competitively week in and out and still come up short with 8 or 9 wins. It can be just that close, I think what you are saying makes sense. Though a year older the O still is very young and a couple of the key pieces are rookies. The D, while filled wiith more vet experience will have many new faces.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just said this before. I'm thinking a 10-7 team, but I have seen teams add this many new faces, and it hurt the team ,and didn't help it....because they didn't gel together fast enough, then started pointing fingers , and then the team fell apart. Hopefully Tomlin can be a remedy for that. No matter what people think of His coaching.....He's pretty good at pulling a team together.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Exacty! The importance of team chemistry cannot be overstated. And we still have our jack leg OC calling the plays. I’m hopeful that the new guy can help offset some of Canada’s deficiencies and shortcomings (which are many!).

• Like Like x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Omar doesn't really like the whole Kahn Artist nickname, he seems very uncomfortable about it.

Which I don't blame him, in his line of work, you don't want to be known as the guy who is pulling wool over your eyes and selling you a bag of magic beans etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    With potentially two new starters ditto the OL

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Let’s just rearrange the words a bit and we have…

Khan The Artist!

Kinda fits…:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

We're the flavor of the week. Have to prove it on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Honestly depends.

I know in the case of narcissistic owners like Jerry Jones, Jed York, Jimmy Haslam and even Dean Spanos, even someone like Kevin Colbert or even Ozzie Newsome would not be able to operate in the way that they did due to the fact that the title of GM is just that; a title and nothing more. Realistically speaking, said owners do not want anyone being the captain of their own ship and only have such people in such positions as yes men; nothing more. They like to take all the credit but love deflecting the blame even more; doubly so in Jerry's recent Cowboys Pre Draft Conference where he essentially chucked Mike McCarthy under the bus.

Compare that to the Hunt Family or even the Rooney Family where the entire Front Office and Coaching Staff operate in autonomy without any form of interference from the Owner. In the case of Dan and AR 2, it can happen but vey seldom does it ever; Dan via Big Ben and AR 2 wanting the team to draft Najee Harris though this has been disputed.

Regardless, I agree overall. Have been very impressed with what he is doing thus far and hope he and Weidl can continue to work together for years to come!! :steelflag::steelflag::steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That OC is exactly why my floor of the 2023 Steelers is still at 9 wins. Realistically speaking, it should be 10 wins but him and the lack of cohesion among both Offense, Defense and Special Teams is going to be tested mightily right out the gate in 2023; three teams who have a large contingent of starters at all three phases largely returning no less. I also expect growing pains but I am keeping my original prediction of 10-7 barring extreme circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1