1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Brown Dies

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, May 19, 2023.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Great running back. By many accounts, not so great a human being.

I still get emotional when I watch The Dirty Dozen, the part where he throws the hand grenades down the ventilator shaft……

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    ?

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Damn...

Gonna miss him. I understand he played for the rival Cleveland Browns but during the socioeconomic upheaval of his day; Jim Brown was one of the first athletes who truly transcended their sport. Marion Motley is considered to be the flabearer of sorts by many but Jim Brown was not far behind.

For me, he, Tom Brady (I know.... I know...) and Lawrence Taylor are the holy trinity of the NFL. I severely doubt we will see another Jim Brown ever again; both on and off the field.

Godspeed Mr. Brown. Hope you find everlasting peace and prosperity; where ever that may be!! :applaud:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He was the greatest football player of all time. I'm glad that I am old enough to remember his last couple of years in the league and he left the game when he was still the best back in the NFL.
    His treatment of women though was deplorable, like throwing a 22 year old girl off of a balcony on the pavement below and other such acts of violence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I loved to hate to watch him play. A man amongst boys. Loved watching the RBs of that era -Brown, Jim Taylor, John Henry Johnson. Liked him in the movies too. Laid the groundwork for OJ Simpson. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    A reference to Sleepless in Seattle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A man on the field.

A coward off the field.

I grew to dislike him immensely when he became obsessed with criticizing Franco’s every move. I think at the end of the day, he was just jealous.

None of that matters now as both he and Franco have crossed that eternal divide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    RIP Jim Brown. Never watched you play but I heard you were great.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a hell of a trinity: A man who degraded and abused women, a cheating punk, and a drug addict.

I respect all three as players, but as human beings? Not so much.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Guy was a great runner who ruined my Steeler childhood. He was in a lot of movies to.

I'm sure my memory is cloudy but I was at a game where I think Cleveland threw the ball maybe 12-15 times whole game. Weather was crap and all I recall was Jim Brown muddy as hell running us into the ground.

12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    You know I can't watch those old Leslie Neilson comedies because he is in them. Just like I'll never have Will Smith on my TV again.

JHJ was my childhood Steeler favorite. Being at the games in the 60's was watching a group of big men pound the ball inch by inch. JHJ was great when he got in a groove.

13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Wait till Lambert gets there he'll take his ass down:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea that was petty. it was obvious that Walter Payton would surpass both of them, and he was magnificent, but to malign Franco during that journey was bush league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1