1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A note? I bought cigs at 10 at our only store (town of 1000). "Are they for your folks?" Yes...then hike in the woods. Lol. Stupid as F now, but I thought I was so cool. If I did not have the money I just ripped a pack from my oldest bros carton. Found out years later he used to beat my middle bros up for that, I was to young and innocent to steal from him. Lol. Thing is middle bros were guilty anyway, so they took the beating. The advantage of being the youngest should never be downplayed. Lmao

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bravo dude. Bravo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I
    I agree, I was clamoring early in the off season for more moves of needle pushing proven players, but things are shaking out in an exciting way for Steelers fans. Maybe the rest of the NFL doesn’t see much, but I am really appreciating this rebuild. It’s a true rebuild.

The effects might not show themselves the way we see this coming season, but the sense seems to be that a concerted effort to build smart with current vets, old sensibilities, new players that posses different wrinkles for the modern game. At least that’s the target I am reading.

Big, physical, athletic guys. Hopefully they have enough brains and skills to work with and develop.

In two years from now in 2025 (hopefully 2024) I hoping this whole plan is executed to the best Super Bowl result. I do see a genuine effort and plan. If nothing else I am appreciative of that as a fan.

:steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Yes me as well. Just saw some prediction that the Steelers go 9-8...gotta keep MT winning season streak intact lol. Truly have no idea, but the moves, draft and constant tinkering with the roster makes me believe Omar is really seeking to build a cohesive team with an image and identity. We will see how it works, but I have not had this much off season fun since my pigs ate a browns jersey.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mark it down…the Steelers win AT LEAST 11 games next season!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    After Cam's speech has there been any moves for Martavis Bryant to get a camp invite.

Lifetime suspension for smoking weed, seems pretty crazy today since it is available where I live at the local shop on the corner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now we know the source of the conspiracy theories

JK ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

Here’s the thing about this. I would classify myself a former pothead. I slowed waaaaaay down around 35 years old and to a rare occurrence after to almost non existent now for the most part.

I’m not trying to get into the pros or cons of weed smoking, or my personal political or social beliefs about it, and the only reason I bring up my history is an effort to eliminate someone possible opinion that I might have an un-understood bias - I don’t.

On this particular subject in regards to NFL players pre and post state legalizations I have two pretty rooted and often unpopular opinions (shocker in this site, I know).

Regular Joe non-players I don’t care where they land on the weed subject much at all - to each their own. But…

1) If you are an NFL player on MY chosen team, regardless of legal laws, the NFL is (currently) banning the usage. Period. I don’t care why or how ill informed. You are getting very well paid MILLIONS of dollars to prepare and play and to follow the damn rules the league and team set forth. That alone should be reason enough to put aside your desires and seek what ever you are seeking in your usage elsewhere. Especially if you are a starting star on my team. I’d feel the same if petting puppies were against the rules. Follow them!

In my opinion that means he or they have a smarts and discipline issue I am red flagging.

2) I also don’t want the professional atheletes in MY team inhaling smoke into their much needed lungs for the gig. That’s if the substance is legal or not in the league. I would not care about edibles if it was legal, munch away…

If Bryant or anyone else isn’t smart enough to consider this job important enough financially to pass when it’s handed to him and is willing to risk the gift before him (multiple times!!!) then this dude isn’t very smart and likely to mess up in some other regard and jeopardize the team.

Like domestic violence, driving at insane speeds on public roads, sexual misconduct, riding a motor bike without a helmet (when he has to wear one for his damn job on the field and protect his brain unless he doesn’t have much of one to protect) bringing a gun into a night club illegally and shooting your own damn self! You know, stooopid examples like that. Maybe he should just go screw up on another team and damage their chance of success. I want the smart guys…

Martavious Bryant could have been a top 10 WR. Now he’s just a total moron. No thanks old man.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I was inspired to check up on him, someone thinks he still has game. With the 5th pick in the 2023 XFL Skill Players Draft, Bryant was selected by the Vegas Vipers

LMAO

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to argue the when's why's and wherefore on the topic but I found it really interesting when Jim McMahon said he moved to Arizona or New Mexico applied for a medical marjiaunna card and got it that his health issues went away, the pain went away the dependance on pain killers or other drugs went away. So with the changing attitudes you may see the league and players union completely change decades of entrenched dogma.

• Like Like x 2
  13. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Agreed. And when they do eventually change the rules I’m good with the players using it medically.

But I also much prefer that they use edibles and not inhale carcinogens in their much needed athletic lungs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That specific case may be new, but it isn't news that the league's policy on this is ass-backward stupid. I write this as someone who has never smoked marijuana. Ever. Not even a puff. I'm not against it. I don't care if others use it or not. It just never interested me.

That said, the league's stance is outdated and stupid. There are only five states left that ban all forms of marijuana use, including medical. Only two of them have NFL teams, Indiana and Tennessee. Perhaps that is why the league keeps its policy in place, because to do otherwise would put the Titans and Colts at a disadvantage.

That said, marijuana can help people deal with pain. It is not a pain killer, but it allows people to weather it better. That is incredibly important for football players given the damage they do to their bodies for the sake of playing the game. Taking away marijuana forces players to rely more heavily on opioids and other pain-killing mediation that is ultimately more harmful to the bodies of players. That the NFLPA hasn't done a better job of pushing this point and forcing a change is just another example of how the player's union is so damn weak. This also shows, yet again, that player health and safety is not a priority for the league no matter how many times Roger Goodell tells the lie that it is. If it was, the league would have said to hell with whatever its reason is for banning marijuana and at least allowed the players to use it for medicinal purposes long ago.

To be fair, a low enough amount of THC does count as a passed test, but any system that forces players into more use of pain killers that damage the body is inexcusable.

Don't get me wrong. Martavis Bryant was still an idiot for smoking away his career. The same is true of others, like Ricky Williams, who did the same. Both things can be true. Those guys are idiots and the league is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree completely and would also add the NFLPA has documented cases where they have shown little to no regard for former players while lining their own pockets such as the deal they cut with EA Sports.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was surprised to see that he is only 31 years old, I would have guessed around 37 or 38. It seems like it's been 10 years since he played here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You had me until you went after their EA Sports connection.

You could have gone after the NFL's tried and true Beer revenue stream, or maybe their new Gambling revenue stream; where they take money in and then punish players for using their products like Fantasy Football and Coors Light..

18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    So I live in Iowa where it is not yet legal but friends and I over the weekend had discussions about DUI charges and how that has been affected by states legalizing it. Alcohol is out of your system much faster so does anyone know how they handle being pulled over if you were high the night before? I've only had 2 edibles in my 51 years on this earth so I have very little experience in the matter.

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    EA cut a deal with the players union and the NFL to use former players data from college and pro in Madden Football with their all time teams. They used all the data but didn't use the players names just numbers like 88 on the 76 Steelers or 58 on the 74 Steelers. Since they didn't use the names any revenue generated by the game and paid to the Union didn't have to be shared with former players. They had a whole group that sued EA and the Union for profiting from their careers and not sharing it with the former players.

I used it because it shows the current PA leadership had no problem profiting off the careers of NFL greats and not paying them their due.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I have no idea except videos I have watched. Cops trained in some fbi stuff have the basic 'skills' to detect some crap. if you fail (or even look like you fail) basic tests they can arrest you, then you wait for the blood tests. I guess it depends on where you live, but I have heard some very wanky numbers on the success rates, reliability and even training for those doing the work.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That is a real shame. IDK if it was the last contract, or the previous one where amount former players in a certain era were getting paid in pension was a croc. I think this last contract included a raise and the old vets were given some respect. But this shows how petty the whole group is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I guess the real question is the blood test. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's driven to work the next day "still drunk". Just wonder how that works with thc.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well I've smoked plenty of it in My time, but haven't touched it in almost 15 years. I just got tired of worrying about the legal ramifications, and passing work test.....So I just stopped. I agree with both of You. If You can't stop for millions of dollars.....You are not only weak ,but stupid.
    Although I agree it's stupid that it's illegal for the players.....so they get hooked on legal painkillers. So I agree with both of You.

• Like Like x 1
  25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think in MB's case it was that he used it to quiet his mind and get to sleep. Now there are many different ways to do that, I've tried a lot of methods but people often take the easiest and most reliable when they want to crash and I'm sure that is what went on in his case. Million dollar career doesn't enter into it, it's sleep vs no sleep it's that simple.and for those that say we'll there's melatonin and zzzquil that work just as well and aren't habit forming, don't you believe it. It isn't as effective and it is habit forming.

• Like Like x 1